Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1/350 USS Endurance - TMP era expedition cruiser

The secondary hull has started its coverage in .060. Sorry for the slow progress.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 10-30-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Soooo awesome and inspiring. I love these detail shots showing the planks and ribs-- they inspire and educate.

What's the writing amidships? Name, number, and class?

Best-
-SF
Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Thanks!

Yes, I usually put my name/date inside the model somewhere. Kind of a dumb tradition. This one was done with a label maker and reads Endurance, NCC-5265 followed by my name and date. If you click on the photo, you can zoom easily on the original.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:49 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Thanks!

Yes, I usually put my name/date inside the model somewhere. Kind of a dumb tradition. This one was done with a label maker and reads Endurance, NCC-5265 followed by my name and date. If you click on the photo, you can zoom easily on the original.
Like Japanese sword smiths putting their names on the tangs of their swords. Classic.

And the build - Brilliant!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 AM
All ahead full

I only had a few hours this weekend to finish skinning the bottom half of the secondary hull and then notch it to fit the frame. So far, so good. Next up will be forming the top half of the hull and dividing it up to allow it to be installed around the rest of the framework.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

*applauds*

Great work, well documented.

How hard is it to get styrene sheets to conform to the ribs along complex curves of the hull?

-SF
Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
*applauds*

Great work, well documented.

How hard is it to get styrene sheets to conform to the ribs along complex curves of the hull?

-SF
Thank you. It's not too difficult. By cutting them into manageable sections and coaxing a bend in the plastic before gluing it in place, it's okay. These are mostly flat-sided panels so doing them in larger pieces speeds the work.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 AM

Richard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura about

How do you work compound curves?- heat the styrene over a buck or make sub units and then use putty to blend?

This project is really coming along great- love your framing technique

Last edited by Richard Baker; 11-07-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:48 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
How do you work compound curves?- heat the styrene over a buck or make sub units and then use putty to blend?

This project is really coming along great- love your framing technique
Thanks for following the build. As I mentioned in the previous response, I do not use heat but rather bend the thin styrene by hand or rub over the edge of a sharp corner like the end of my workbench to get close to the curve I need. I make paper stencils to help judge the size and shape of each plastic panel I need to cut to cover the frame. These are fairly gentle curves. Anything more complex would require sculpting and casting from resin.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Richard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura about

What I was thinking of is the number of compound curves found in Federation designs of that era. Not just a curved panel, but one which had curves in several directions, like the bulge in the forward secondary hull. It curves from front to back but also from side to side.
The only way I have been able to create shapes like that was from using much smaller sub sections and then using putty to blend them into a single surface. It looks like from your GI renders there may be some areas like that and I would love to see how those are addressed.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:09 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
What I was thinking of is the number of compound curves found in Federation designs of that era. Not just a curved panel, but one which had curves in several directions, like the bulge in the forward secondary hull. It curves from front to back but also from side to side.
The only way I have been able to create shapes like that was from using much smaller sub sections and then using putty to blend them into a single surface. It looks like from your GI renders there may be some areas like that and I would love to see how those are addressed.
Agreed. Using smaller strips and panels will help you contour more complex curves. I try to use as little putty as necessary to keep the form from future cracking. Fusing styrene wedges and scraps into gaps or adding additional height is much quicker and sturdier.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:57 AM
All ahead full

Weekend update 12NOV18. Picture heavy, because I had a few days off in a row. The upper half of the secondary was built and skinned as well as a few lower hull details. The side vents were planned on paper because I couldn't make it happen in 3D. I just don't have those skills. Anyway - it was easier in plastic...

Old 11-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Humble Aspirant

I can definitely see the Excelsior lineage in this beastie.
It makes Excelsior (screen debut in ST3) look like a logical progression from the TOS/TMP era designs, rather than something out of the blue.

I could imagine these engineers immediately going to work on The Great Experiment, using these developed skills as the basis for Excelsior...

Best-
-SF
Old 11-12-2018, 06:52 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

She's coming along real nice. As always, love those side accents and seeing all the shuttles in the bay is cool.

I see they have a souvenir from a past Enterprise mission sitting on the deck too.

And damn, having your hand in the shot just brings home how big this beauty is going to be!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/

Last edited by Tiberious; 11-12-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:55 AM

This is really coming along wonderfully!
It is almost a shame to cover up that intricate structure you have built with hull plating