Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 06-23-2018, 11:27 AM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All
Default 4 Foot Enterprise D 3D Printed

Not entirely certain what I am getting myself into here lol BUT....

Found this model on line a couple weeks ago. It sadly is not entirely screen accurate but it is the only printable model currently available so it is what it is.

I will start by saying that I have no idea how long this project will take me so be warned

Their is a lot of parts to this so their is a lot of printing and gluing just to get various sub assemblies together. Then their is the sanding....and more sanding.....to prep for paint....plus no alignment tabs, everything is but joint....it will take a while

The way the parts have been cut by the designer are somewhat small to accommodate smaller 3D printers. I am doing some rework of sorts to print as much as I can in larger sections to hopefully make overall assembly a bit easier. The plus side being less seams and a better chance of properly aligned parts. The downfall being the increased print times per part. I will take the increased print times

On to the build...

I do plan on lighting this also but I am still working that part out. As I get farther along with things it will be a bit easier to figure that out.

Decided to start with the nacelles, the "easy" parts. They were 4 parts originally. Somewhat like the AMT kit but each piece cut in half. I reworked them to print as three pieces. Total print time is almost 40 hours for both.

The next part currently on the printers is the bottom section of the lower hull. About 16 or so hours of printing, assuming nothing goes wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180623_123514 small.jpg (633.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20180623_140621 small.jpg (530.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by PakRatJR; 07-02-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:14 AM

frostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 4 Foot Enterprise D 3D Printed

Prints looks fine. What printer do you use? PLA filament?
Can't wait to see the parts primed and sanded ��

www.frostrubin.deviantart.com
Old 06-24-2018, 09:05 AM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All

Thanks

Filament is mostly 3D Solutech natural PLA.

For the printers, I actually have several. A Folgertech FT-5 300x300, a scratch built 300x300, a recently acquired Prusa MK2, a Hictop 270x220 and a couple scratch built Prusa clones.

Because of the size of most of the parts, the two big ones are doing the majority of the work on this project.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 PM
JAFO

Couple more parts. Standard sharpie for scale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180701_203538 small.jpg (729.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20180701_203637 small.jpg (874.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20180701_203801 small.jpg (739.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20180701_203849 small.jpg (801.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by PakRatJR; 07-02-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:39 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Sweet Christmas, that's gonna be a big model.

Where did you find the file for this?
Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 PM
JAFO

LOL yup. And to think I had originally planned on scaling this to 6 foot

4 foot is definitely big enough ......well, not really, but it will have to do for now

I actually found it on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2208811
Old 07-02-2018, 09:19 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Sweet, and he has other Trek files too. Hmm, 350th John Eaves concept Enterprise...
Old 07-02-2018, 10:22 PM
JAFO

Hehe

The downfall with alot of them tho is they are not always easily printable. Most of them are just mesh conversions that were not originally designed/ment to be printed.

They can be, but usually you will need to do yer own slicing or adjusting of things.

This one I think was like that originally as well but he did alot of work on it to get it to be reasonably easy to print.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 AM
The Kiwi

Ah. I'm a newbie to the 3D printing scene, haven't even assembled my Ender 3 yet.