Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 07-12-2019, 10:15 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default 1/48 Eagle Pan Am Tycho Clipper

The new summer project began as an easy vacation from Trek scratch building. However, I can't do anything the easy way, even for an out-of-the-box build. I have to customize it in some way. This is the case with the 1/48 Eagle, one of my all-time favorite spaceship designs. Already, I have had ideas on adding this into my made-up Tycho Universe which incorporates 2001 and Trek design. Makes perfect sense to call her the Tycho Clipper and add another little twist of painting her in a classic Pan Am livery. The engine plumbing will also be covered in an aerodynamic cowling that I will be manufacturing.

I had bought this kit soon after it was released a few years ago at WonderFest and bought all the fancy metal upgrade kits for the engine bells, landing struts and the beak disk inserts by Mike Reader.

I worked up a few sketches of various painting schemes to get the idea rolling and then started assembly.

I decided to leave the included pilot figures out and since they were mounted to slots on the aft cockpit bulkhead, I had to fill those in and scratch build what little bit of cockpit might be seen through the windshield. The interior set as seen in the show in NO WAY matches the actual geometry of the Eagle exterior so license had to be done to create something that keep the seats high enough to be seen through the windows.

The landing gear also got a little mod without going crazy by notching the front and back of the pads along with little bits of brass and plastic detailing:

Spotlights. Oh yeah, I'm lighting this. Forget to mention that.
The front and back of each landing pod receives a 2mm tower LED spotlight through a small brass tube to act as puddle lights for the central passenger pod as well as landing lights forward for the pilots. Another single 2mm atop each pod will strobe.

The Eagle in Tamiya Primer:

Preshading and painting of the central corridor connectors in PanAm blue. Extra decals left over from the Javelin Project.

Fiber optics are added to the cockpit exterior. Tested in Green here as my entire stash of Red LEDs vanished without a trace from the workbench. An Unsolved Mystery that I'm still bewildered with:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg panam_ thumb.jpg (116.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 07-12-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: 1/48 Eagle Pan Am Tycho Clipper

Never thought I could get this excited about a non-Trek build, but here we are...

Rock on—
-SF
Old 07-12-2019, 10:34 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Never thought I could get this excited about a non-Trek build, but here we are...

Rock onó
-SF
Let's hope we don't disappoint!
Old 07-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Cool idea - and way better than the standard white. Which scheme did you choose? My personal tastes lean toward the last one - J I think it was

Nice idea with the cockpit combing too. I might steal that for my Eagle when I get to it - one day
Old 07-12-2019, 06:47 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Noice! Are we cleaning the pallet between Star Trek builds?

She's already looking good, and I like the design and color ideas. It's a cool design that's only going to get better now. If you are taking votes, the second one looks nice (J). It has the nice swoop to the color, and I like the design on the nose cone better than the third one, which makes me think I'm looking at it from the top.

Once again, some great scratch building, for the cockpit and gear. You are also showing a nice flair for the pictures. Love having the bomber crew around for the construction.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 07-15-2019, 07:12 AM
All ahead full

Thanks guys! Yes, this has been a long-brewing project and temporary relief from Trek. Although, this was the last weekend I could work on the Clipper before diving into a currently classified Trek Project. I hope to post that one when it wraps in two months.

Meanwhile, the cockpit has been painted and lit with fiber optics on the aft wall. I don't think the Eagles had these panels illuminated but I thought it was the best viewing position for any type of cockpit eye-candy.

The landing pods were also wired, sealed shut, light-blocked, primed, pre-shaded and painted in a two-tone white/gray. I'm sure there will be further embellishments

Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing another awesome model. Always loved the Eagle!
Old 07-15-2019, 07:42 PM
All ahead full

One last post before I box her up for a few months. Landing light test:

Old 07-15-2019, 10:56 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Outstanding work,sir. Can we expect custom designed eagles in different liveries in the future?
Old 07-16-2019, 06:31 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Lovely work. Sad to see her go into storage though. Will be anxiously awaiting her continued fitting out.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
One last post before I box her up for a few months. Landing light test:
[Awesome pics snipped]
[...]
*salutes*

Canít wait to see her again...

-SF
Old 07-16-2019, 08:05 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Thanks guys! Yes, this has been a long-brewing project and temporary relief from Trek. Although, this was the last weekend I could work on the Clipper before diving into a currently classified Trek Project. I hope to post that one when it wraps in two months.
[...]
WaitWhazzat?
Classified Trek Project?
Two months?

ZOMFG. I canít wait!

-SF
Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

Love it!

You should do another in PSA markings with the smile!

https://airlinegeeks.com/2015/03/19/...liest-airline/