PDA

View Full Version : 1/72 Revell Space Shuttle Begins

Paul
09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I've had this kit for over fifteen years and moved it every time I've moved, bought upgrade parts and planned forever to build this big kit.

Well I finally got off my butt and pulled down the kit and took a long hard look at the current condition.

You can see from the box it's been around for a while.

The coolest things I've bought for this kit are the kick assed decals for the tiles. The big problem is I have to sand off the current tiles on the kit as they are way out of scale and will show through the decals.

So I'm going to share my build and I've always wanted a nice big lighted and detailed kit. I'm going to open the shuttle bay and try and find reference for a satellite launch and do a full custom bay.............hopefully.

I'm going over my reference to make sure I get the details right.

I believe I'm going to do a Columbia version and pic a cool mission.

I'm going to do it in space, so no landing gear and do the mission patch as the base.

Thanks for looking,

Paul

DarthDuck
09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow,
I didn't even know they had a kit in 72nd? This oughta be real cool and I can't wait for you to share progress!:D

Wombat
09-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Well Paul,
I'll be watching this build also!
Hope ya keep plenty of updtae pics coming on this bird!!
Have fun dude!!:cool:

Actually there's at least two...the Revell version (it has lots of raised lines on it to depict the tiles) and Monogram (no tile lines) has one as well. I've got both the Revell and Monogram, including a Monogram 1/72 shuttle/booster stack. It's built up, and when finished it's pretty big. Makes a great display!

Yeah i got one of them stacks also,bloody impressive indeed.I tried to build it up when i had even less idea about model building than i do now.After puttying the seams on the tank and then sanding it off i threw it in the box as it's stuffed.Having that texture on the tank was a pisser,or just my lack of ability was more the problem.
It sure woulda looked nice!!:(

suki5150
09-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Great model and FUCKING huge when finished.

:D

Paul
09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Well I got the interior finished and it has to be completed before I can get the two halves together.

I used black, gray and white to give the interior some texture and I lightly weathered the seats and painted the figure.

I'm going to drop two leds under the dash for a little interior light. But the windows are so small and the interior so small, little will be seen through the windows. They give you a decal for the dash and I detailed the other panels, but you will never see it through the windows, shame.

So that's a little more accomplished more to come.

Paul

Wombat
09-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Nice stuff!!
That is a pitty ya won't be seeing that instrument display.
It looks quite good in the pic.
Carry on dude!!!

Refit1701
09-23-2008, 05:04 AM
I built the monogram kit of the same scale many moons ago. I have a few of these put away for a rainy day.

That cockpit looks good! Keep us updated...I might get inspired....

Paul
09-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys, I'm actually thinking of doing the Columbia Movie version from Armageddon right before it gets blown to smithereens.

Paul

Paul
09-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Okay, I've been doing some research on teh shuttles and man every mission had different tile patterns and cargo loads.

I've found tons of cargo pictures and I've attached a few along with good shuttle pictures. I want this to have the cargo doors open, but I'm not sure what to do with the interior.

First I wanted to do a Hubble repair, maybe a satellite launch, what to do?

Then I found a concept picture of the shuttle launching another smaller shuttle style vehicle. That sparked my imagination and I think I'm going to do something totally original.

I'd have to do Discovery since she's still flying and I think I can get the markings close. While I love these tile decals, after looking at the actually in flight pictures, man that thing is weathered and going to be a tasty paint job, I can't wait!

Anyway if I do a fantasy shuttle version I'm going to try and pack that bay with tons of detail and I've already ordered an upgrade kit for the interior.

I noticed that the seats on the discovery have a light blue cushion so I'm going to at that detail to my interior.

I'm attaching photos below for my reference and yours. :)

Paul

Paul
09-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Got the ship glued together and sanded off the panel lines.

I then lightly Evercoated the seams and shot a light coat of primer. I dropped the piece and the left side shattered at the back. I started the throw the thing across the show but noticed it could be easily fixed.

This thing reminds me of an old Lunar Styrene kit now and I'm having bad flashbacks! LOL

Anyway I'll post more as I get it done.

Paul

Scorpius
09-23-2008, 07:34 PM
This is cool, looking forward to the build. I've only ever built the Monogram version, so this one is even that much more interesting.

Zombie Killer
09-30-2008, 04:34 AM
Looking good Paul. A Hubble in the bay or hanging on the arm would be cool. Are you going to do any lighting?

Glen

talon
10-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I didn't realize that you were also the paul building the MF. No WONDER you haven't updated this in a while! :) I love both projects so take your time but as soon as you finish the falcon get back on this!!! I love the build up so far and cant wait to see where you take it.

Paul
10-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Actually I ordered a detailed interior for the cargo bay, that's what's holding me up right now. They said they had them in stock, I paid and now nothing.

I really want it with the cargo doors open and I bought a Hubble in scale. I'm thinking of having the Hubble on the end of the arm being pulled into the docking station.

Of course I'm dreaming big, who knows.

Paul

Peagis
11-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Anything new on this?

Loneknight
11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
This is looking great! :icon_thumright:

In case you need it, there's a link I recommend to everyone that's doing real space projects, and you might find it useful:

http://www.nasaimages.org/index.html

You can download these images you find for free, and most of them are of pretty decent quality. I've spent hours on this site, and it still doesn't cover the wealth of pictures and video one can sift through.

Anyway, hope this helps you. Looking forward to seeing more...

talon
02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
uber bump

JAWS MODELS
11-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Damn I glad I popped in here this stuff rocks. Nice going mate, what a fantastic piece to work on.

BB43MAN
05-06-2010, 03:12 PM
BUMP, BUMP, BUMP!!!!!

BolianAdmiral
03-16-2011, 09:51 PM
This is looking good so far. May I please ask where I can order those upgrade decal sheets?

JMChladek
08-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Wow, you are certainly putting in the effort to do the Revell kit up right (especially sanding off the tile detail, which is a very NECESSARY step unless you are doing Enterprise). I see by the addition of the CE SILTS pod on the tail that you are doing the model as Columbia. Nice choice.

Paul
10-31-2011, 08:37 PM
This one has been on the back burner for years because I want to hand lay every tile. I started cutting and scoring the strips and stopped after a few hundred.

I hope to get back to it when time permits.

Paul

takevin
03-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Watch this thread with interest, just picked up this kit for 5 bucks at a model flea market.