Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > CGI, Costumes, Props and Artwork > Costumes and Props

Costumes and Props Costumes, Prosthetics, Props, and Makeup

Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 AM

ave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud of
Default Knight Rider PC case mod - FINISHED at last!

I don't know if this goes here... but it's sort of a Prop... a fan made prop. Feel free to move this.

I am a big fan of knight rider, and always wanted a replica car but, let's be practical, it's not going to happen.

In surfing the net a year ago or so, I found this PC mod. Many of you have seen it I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRO_g_z5u_I

When I saw this.. I was instantly amazed... I wanted it! and if you've seen my other posts, I obviously spoil myself.

This PC case showed up on ebay a few months back... and I lost by 20 freakin' dollars. I couldn't believe it. Damn last minute bidders!!!! RARGH!

So ever since then I had to have one.... so I decided to build my own.. - Yesterday, I started... and here is a small tutorial of how to do something like this.

I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL! I am handy.. but I've never done a case mod before.. I've never done anything like this before.. chances are someone else could achieve the same results of this case mod in a much more professional way... but hey.. this works for me, and without any instruction manuals.. I'm just making this up as I go....

Last edited by ave4uevoli; 02-04-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 AM

ave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud ofave4uevoli has much to be proud of

So at first, I tried to figure out what type of PC case was used in the original that I saw... The person used an Aerocool X202. Which is conveniently discontinued now. After searching high and low.. I couldnt' find anyone that had this case.

Okay, so I couldn't build the same exact case that this guy had... Blah.

I'd just have to make it better!

So I searched high and low for a case that would be suitable and after months of searching.. I came across this case.. and I swear.. as soon as I saw it.. it was love at first sight..

The Cooler Master Mystique 632S

Steel doors that slide open - Front blue LED... Steel mesh front.
now This was a case that could represent Knight Rider.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:48 AM

The voicebox is from Marks' Custom Kits. He's a great guy, his knight rider stuff is amazing

So I took the case.. and I pulled off the front face..

I began measuring. Mark kindly provided a little faceplate/template which I used to trace out where I needed a hole.

Inside the front face, there were plastice reinforcement pieces, that I snipped away.

From the back: see? the template fits, which means the voicebox would fit. woo hOO!

And now to start cutting: (wow.. this was extremely hard.. I thought I could just take some wire cutters and snip away... no such luck.. my hands are literally bloody now.. this was pretty difficult.. I used a dremmel to start the hole.., tried using wire cutters for a while.. then I used a heavy duty scissor, it was a mess but I think it came out fine. (i'll need to touch up the paint a little later.)

Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 AM

and now for the test fitting - I took a sheet of transparancy paper - because I had nothing else.. and folded it down sized perfectly to wrap around the voicebox - and fit through the hole that I made.

and here are pics of the test fitting! It fits!

Yes I know it doesnt look like much now.. but instead of transparent paper, i'm going to use metallic paper - one where you will be able to see the lights when they shine through when KITT is on.... and when KITT is off. all you will see is the metallic sheen...

I cut the hole so perfectly that the voicebox barely fits into the hole. It's actually quite secure - but I would like to somehow add reinforcements in the back to somehow anchor the voicebox down.. (i'm currently figuring that out now..)

Either way.. this is still a very long ways away.. I haven't even gotten all the computer parts yet.. (but that's the boring part)

Just wait.. It'll light up soon!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 AM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

This is totally new to me. In fact, for computers. I just punch the button and kick it to work! LOL

This conversion will be something to look forward to. I have no idea about this until you posted. I have seen custom painted casings but nothing like turning it into sci-fi related. Cool!

B
Old 01-11-2008, 09:02 AM

cut out a template from a sephora bag. hahaha. It was necessary because my plastic template is clear, and obviously kitts voicebox has a black trim.

It turned out pretty good. I have to fix some jagged edges. because I cut this with a scissor and a pretty blunt knife (I work with what I have). But with the plastic template put on top, it doesnt look half bad.

Spent some time in the morning cranking out the labels for the buttons. It's shaping up. Soon I'll be able to light this thing. Stay tuned.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:26 AM

a little more progress...

and I made brackets out of old computer parts to secure the voice box to the case. I wrapped them in duct tape so they wouldn't short out anything

By the way.. does anyone care about knight rider? Is it that no one knows what i'm trying to accomplish? I seem to be talking to myself over here. which is cool... but... yea.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

I think this is cool! I'm curious as to how it's going to turn out, keep it up.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:44 AM

Hee hee.. Thank you Rel. Much appreciated. Oh.. did you get my PM about the batwing? Basically, let's make it the best batwing to ever exist. =)
Old 01-12-2008, 01:53 PM

finally figured out what the final appearance of this whole project will be. Check it out:

I've ordered all the parts.. they'll be here shortly... and I'll continue building and posting.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

Excellent!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:45 PM

oh hells no... if they really cared about knight rider they wouldn't have made it a mustang... Don't get me started.. there were plenty of other concepts and designs that would have been infinitely better.

an acura concept perhaps
or the Koenigsegg CCX concept..

but yea.. the fact that they picked a mustang because Ford came in with a high offer...the new kitt is NOT kitt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26866_Knight_Industries_Three_Thousand_as_Acura_ASC_3_122_811lo.jpg (105.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: png kr_large.png (638.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 AM

Jay sorry if it seemed like my frustration was directed at you.. it definitely wasn't. I grew up watching knight rider, despite being almost 20 years since those days, I still love it. I'm just one of those people who doesn't like change.

For example. Chris Reeves - will always be superman to me.
Michael Keaton - will always be batman
Kitt will always be the trans am - etc.

With the series they are also making a new Knight Rider movie. Hopefully that movie will have a better KITT design... the script I believe, is being finalized now.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 PM

okay! the KITT voicebox is in! And it works! Here are some pics. I think it turned out pretty nice. I still need to add the scanner and all the other electronics. But this voicebox is nearing completion.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:36 PM

and of course, I couldn't resist a youtube video of the thing working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_RzkV8yFrU