Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 06-21-2009, 11:52 PM

Battlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant futureBattlestar Commander has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gene's Viper-in-a-month

Wow, great pictures. So, how long did Rob have that huge grin on his face.
George

www.TimeslipCreations.com
Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 AM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God

Very COOL!!! Man i wish i could have been there.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 AM

RKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond repute

I expected these models to be secured in a glass display case.

Very brave of you to have them displayed like that, do they have door security?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Carson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlestar Commander View Post
So, how long did Rob have that huge grin on his face.
Gene had just asked me if I planned to stay for the 1:30 AM screening of Galactica 1980.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:31 PM

GKvfx has disabled reputation

OK, here's the full report -

First off, big thanks to Carson and Sean for pitching in and helping with the setup. Glad I had the help.

Turnout was decent - about 150 people. I figured there would be more, but I guess father's day weekend, and the thought of actually seeing "Galactica 1980" horrified some people.

The prints were in good shape - better than I thought they would be. (In all honesty, I only saw a couple of minutes of the second one - but it looked good.) The pilot film was in Sensurround - which is essentially Dolby 1.1 - but since nobody uses those speakers or the Sensurround decoder (which was a little black box on the audio panel), the effect was lost. It did include the Sensurround tag at the beginning of the film which was a hoot.

Part way through the screening, I went outside to take some photos and when I came back inside, the manager told me that one of the writers from the original show turned up and was looking at the lobby display. Turns out it was Terrence McDonnell, who was story editor on the Original Series and wrote a bunch of episodes. Since most of the VFX guys didn't make it (save for Pat McClung, whom I now owe a dinner), I drafted Terrence for an impromptu Q&A at intermission.

The home movies turned out great. I had my doubts since Dennis did a quick telecine, a heavy color correction, and we were using a standard def video projector. But up close or from the back row they looked pretty darn good.

Random things heard at the screening -
"Are those things real?" - Random girl to her geek boyfriend looking at the models.

"Mine is nearly a full inch longer than yours." - Gene to Jim Key about the size difference between the Viper castings.

At the restaurant across the street, before the show -
Rob - "Look, Nicole Kidman just walked in."
Sean - "Is that Nicole Kidman?"
Gene - "Yeah, that's Nicole Kidman"
Sean - "Think she's going to see Battlestar Galactica?"

But let's face it, what you guys really want are photos of the models - so here they are (with the dorks removed) -

This is the Ed Miarecki Rising star that Carson owns. For all the bricks that have been hurled Ed's way for the Enterprise restoration, this replica is really nice:

This is my Jim Key Cylon Raider. (I did the cockpit and figure patterning for the kit when he released it.) I'm not really satisfied with the paint scheme (too blue) so I think I'm going to repaint it and replace the green pentagon stripes with Chartpak tape. The blue stand is an actual model mount cover from Apogee, circa ST:TMP (they made a beefier stand for the Klingon Cruiser and I think this cover goes with that stand). I rigged some fluorescent light fixtures in there, but they are waaayyyy too bright. I need to wrap them with some ND gels otherwise they read on film as being too bright -

Well, here's the Viper. Not bad for a not-quite-finished model. I'm seriously considering finishing off the decals and canopy glass but leaving something undone just to bug Carson Dyle -

Carson also has one of Ed's Galactica Shuttles that he got when Ed moved last year. OtisT has another one. Not sure how many replicas of this thing are out there. Sitting next to it is an original Ragtag Fleet ship that was designed and built by Andy Probert, back in the day.

You can see it in the Exodus shots since it follows the Colonial Movers. It's a small little guy, only about 7" wide. A few parts have been dinged off over the years, but since it never went over to Universal Hartland, it was never modified.

Believe it or not, that's pretty much all the photos I took inside the lobby. I was so busy with stuff to do, I didn't take a whole lot of photos. Oh, wait, I do have this one -

I call it "Sean Sides waiting wistfully for Nicole Kidman to come to the Galactica screening." (She was across the street having dinner at the same place we were grabbing a bite before the show.)

Sean took more photos during the show, so I'm sure he'll post some......

Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GalacticaScreening 023-RI.jpg (283.7 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg GalacticaScreening 032-RI.jpg (374.9 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg GalacticaScreening 017-RI.jpg (258.4 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg GalacticaScreening 030-RI.jpg (227.0 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg GalacticaScreening 035-RI.jpg (399.1 KB, 694 views)
File Type: jpg GalacticaScreening 020-RI.jpg (181.0 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg GalacticaScreening 021-RI.jpg (200.5 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg GalacticaScreening 042-RI.jpg (393.6 KB, 662 views)
Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Man that looks like a great time!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM

adama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome pics! Adorable little ship... so does it go back into private hands or will we be seeing it up on the auction block soon?

Poor Sean... keep that candle lit, buddy!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:48 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All

Man, that Rising Star is a beautiful model. The finish is outstanding.

That little RTF ship is very cool. I always like seeing that one zip by on the show. Would be a good little kit if anyone was so inclined to make it.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn Global View Post
Man that looks like a great time!
That you missed! Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adama View Post
Awesome pics! Adorable little ship... so does it go back into private hands........
Yes. Mine.

Gene
Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 PM

adama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome!! It's good to know it's in the hands of someone that cares about the model - I can't think of anyone better to own that. Except maybe Rob?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adama View Post
......I can't think of anyone better to own that. Except maybe Rob?...
No.

Gene
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKvfx View Post
That you missed! Again!

Gene
.... I really have no excuse.... I feel awful about it.

I will make it up to you guys..... when I DO get down there... a nice dinner is on me.

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

Thanks for the great pictures and story there from the big night,Gene.The models all look great and i mean all of em.
The only thing that would make em look betta was if they were here with me.

But seriously,they all look fantastic and really look the part,most impressive!

What a spin having Nicole Kidman there across the road having dinner where you guy's were.Sean,ya should have gone over and invited her ta the show.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Love this pic. He looks so forlorn doesn't he? A very sad sight indeed.

I knew we should have gone to the show, Phil. A couple of sexy Aussie guys would have definitely convinced Nic to ditch Keithy and come to the geek show over the road!

Mike, Oz
Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Carson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
What a spin having Nicole Kidman there across the road having dinner where you guy's were.
The Kidman restaurant sighting turns out to have been a false alarm, but Jamie Lee Curtis and husband Christopher Guest (aka Nigel Tufnel aka Corky St.Claire) were seated directly behind us at the screening. Or at least the first third of it.