Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM

wizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nice
Default Studio Scale Rodger Young (18")

Honestly, one of my favorite capital ships is the Rodger Young. Even more than Star Trek, it just feels Terran. It really to me captures the evolution of ocean going vessels in space. This has been one of my sincere wants for a while so i finally had a bit of scratch to pic it up.

This is the 18" Rodger Young from Federation Models (manufactured by a group called iFactory).

MonstersInMotion also has an 18" Rodger Young, apparently a new remastered version unrelated to an apparently poor version they used to carry. According to MiM customer support it was remastered by Randy Cooper and team himself. At some point I may try this one too..build a little fleet. And at the moment it is on sale for a song at $130.

The iFactory is really a superb kit, descended from an Icons model, which is cast from a production model. Apparently the 18" model was a maquette, then decided it was suitable for filming and was detailed up for the screen and used in several of the fleet shots. It has options for several different ships (troop carrier, fighter carrier, cargo carrier), but i am going for the Rodger Young, with the alternate rear tower that was replaced after the original was torn off by an asteroid.

Kit is predominantly built now and primered. Brass rods have been used for support. 2 between the centre hull and forward hull, and 1 to attach the engine section to the centre hull.

Painting is going to be a pain. I do want to try and capture the panelled look. I am having a hard time deciding on the paint though. The filming model is blueish...but it comes across as grey on screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-07-31 06.03.43.jpg (95.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-07-31 06.04.15.jpg (101.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 PM

Jeff Bond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Studio Scale Rodger Young (18")

I just built this too and it is a great kit...looking forward to the painting. I also got the Athena from Monsters in Motion which is several years old and pretty rough compared to the Rodger Young, but it makes a very nice companion piece to the RY.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Nngggghhhh!!!!

Location: Looking for something to fulfill this endless hunger for flesh!
Griffworks has disabled reputation

Nice looking thus far!

Does it come with alternate decals? If so, what names does it include?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 PM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet! I always liked the Rodger Young since i saw it on screen. Looking forward to see more!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 AM

wizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nicewizardofthenorth is just really nice

Post some pics please...love to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bond View Post
I just built this too and it is a great kit...looking forward to the painting. I also got the Athena from Monsters in Motion which is several years old and pretty rough compared to the Rodger Young, but it makes a very nice companion piece to the RY.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 AM

There was Rodger Young and 1 more...I will check tonight.

I am a bit of a dumba$$ and lost my bag of gantry parts. Ah well.
If they don't turn up this may be turning into a desert tan aircraft carrier, which is cool as I do think the tan ones look rather sharp and different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
Nice looking thus far!

Does it come with alternate decals? If so, what names does it include?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:53 PM

I'm doing the regular Rodger Young but I'm going to include the fighters on the flight deck--they're too cool not to include.
There's an extra set of decals you can get from Federation Models with 14 different names but a large percentage of them are joke names like "Tippet" and "Greg Jein." I think Valley Forge and a couple other legit ones are included though. The Athena model comes with NO decals and the ship actually has a paint job that would benefit from decals.
Right now I just have the model primered--I'll post some pictures when I get it painted.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:42 PM

The Federation Models kit comes wiht RY and Valley Forge, that is it.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 AM

cosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud ofcosmic_x has much to be proud of

I have this kit too, castings are good, I did purchase MiM Athena and got rid it right after I opended the package.

Do you have any W.I.P pics mate?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 AM

I may have a few intermediate shots, i will check. This kit, from an assembly point of view goes together so fast, I didn't get many step by step shots. Although I made one mistake (not counting losing parts) from going a bit to fast. The piece circled in red is glued in-between the rear and forward fuselage. I thought it was a plant on after assembling the forward and rear fuselage. I had to take the front and rear section apart again...and redrill the support hole through this middle piece as well.

Have attached some photos of where it stands now. After much playing around with primer, black..brown and tan, I really wasn't satisfied with where i was going.

So, was planning on reprimering completely and starting over, but thought I would just mess the model up a bit first and see what I came up with. I am kinda not minding the blasted look now. Used a dark dark grey primer spray can and a piece of paper for the straight edges.

I think I am going to keep the look. although it is not really cannon to the models.

I still have a few side panels to put on, and detailing of the windows and engines with a white. And need a base.

And, i have another kit on my way soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (80.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (121.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (127.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (94.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (96.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (95.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Here is a couple shots of the kit unassembled. Some of the resin, it is almost like injected plastic, not poured resin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (1.23 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (1.22 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (1.19 MB, 19 views)
Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Current state. Alongside a 6" RY and minitac and dropship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01916.jpg (4.16 MB, 22 views)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:47 PM
SUPATRPR"littering&..."

belleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud ofbelleauwood has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bond View Post
I'm doing the regular Rodger Young but I'm going to include the fighters on the flight deck--they're too cool not to include.
There's an extra set of decals you can get from Federation Models with 14 different names but a large percentage of them are joke names like "Tippet" and "Greg Jein." I think Valley Forge and a couple other legit ones are included though. The Athena model comes with NO decals and the ship actually has a paint job that would benefit from decals.
Right now I just have the model primered--I'll post some pictures when I get it painted.
Hmm, I must have missed the Tippet, but according to this wiki:
http://starshiptroopers.wikia.com/wi..._film_universe

there are quite a few. Always loved "Frank is Love"

Pretty sure JT Graphics has this as a decal sheet with like 12 of the names in the bin with mine, I think fedmodels has it direct as well.

In storage I have a Hoto and the original pull castings one Paul offered here awhile back, Pauls is FAR superior http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=5584
In that I have a bunch of pics as well as a scan for one of the instruction sheets for anyone out there.

Man I can't WAIT to finish getting this house built and all my goodies out of storage. This is one I can't wait to build. Nice job so far, looking good. You can't go wrong on these kits even when they are almost pure garbage you just have to remind yourself that the pinholes are bug damage and the model was made for background shots mainly.

Oh, and on the topic of ref, I took the Sony lot tour the last time were hit CA and in the tour office is one of the original 18" ones. This build forced me see about digging the pics I took (unfortunate, with the iPhone, but they are better than a kick in the teeth, some are blurry, just the way it is since it was in a case) but for your enjoyment here's the photobucket link. 48 pics and its a lot, but I figured put it all out there and let you look for whatever you are looking for. Oh, and since some were HDR, there are 2 of the same pics with different contrasts. Wish I knew a photo guru to merge the 2 and optimize, but hey, here they are:

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/bel...?sort=3&page=1

Enjoy

Ryan

Last edited by belleauwood; 08-11-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Cool! Looks like the kit actually has a teeny bit more detail (although the gantry parts are simplified--I wound up just using some plastruct girders for that area. I did a wash on mine yesterday; I want to drybrush it and do a little bit of weathering powder on it before I put the fighters on...
Old 08-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Here are my builds of the Rodger Young and Athena:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazymod...7634741646690/