Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Damn..no toilet!?

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God
Default 1/72 WWI U-boat "U-9" (semi) Scratch Build

Hi guys,

After a fruitless search for plans and reference material for a project,
sometimes ya' just have to go with what you can find,and hope for the best.

That's what I'll be doing as I take a shot at creating a 1/72 version of
Kapitanleutnant Otto Weddigen's boat,the "U-9" as she appeared in 1914.

Here's all the material I have to work with.....

I know there'll be many inaccuracies,but it's the best I can do with so few references,and what knowledge I posess of the U-boats of that era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoWW1-12ssGerU3-22-U9GW.jpg (79.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg u9dm.jpg (23.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg u9_w606_h341.jpg (34.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Damn..no toilet!?

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/72 WWI U-boat "U-9" (semi) Scratch Build

With that being said...

I've started scratch-building the conning tower.

Got to clean up the glue joints around the railing,but it'll be covered up.
So I'm not too worried about it.

The "U-9" usually had a canvas or rubber sheet wrapped around the railing, to provide a measure of protection against the elements for crew on watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2401.JPG (879.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2404.JPG (905.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2406.JPG (903.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2412.JPG (918.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2419.JPG (880.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2424.JPG (887.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Katydid!

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Oh yes!!!

I'm gonna enjoy watching this one happen
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 AM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise. Robert, what are you using to glue the wire for the tower railing? It looks
almost like silicon cauk...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Looks like you're off to a good start.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Check out my product line at:

My kits are 100% made in the USA
Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Damn..no toilet!?

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Still have lots of detail to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Yo View Post
Likewise. Robert, what are you using to glue the wire for the tower railing? It looks
almost like silicon cauk...
Thanks Herr Doktor. I just used plain old "Slo-Zap" to attach the railings.
Going to carefully file down the glue joints,and cover the railing with a tissue/white glue "sheet" to simulate the covering in the photos.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Nngggghhhh!!!!

Location: Looking for something to fulfill this endless hunger for flesh!
Griffworks has disabled reputation

Nice start! Are you using a model kit with major modifications and scratchbuilt parts, I take it?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Damn..no toilet!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
Nice start! Are you using a model kit with major modifications and scratchbuilt parts, I take it?
I plan on using the hull from a 1/72 kit of the "U-9" made by......

(ominous music)

COMBAT MODELS.

Trying to get the hull into a reasonable facsimile of what I've seen from photos, will be more time consuming than anything else.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Nngggghhhh!!!!

Location: Looking for something to fulfill this endless hunger for flesh!
Griffworks has disabled reputation

Ah, OK. So, it's sort of like the old Monogram Battlestar Galactica kit, eh? Kinda resembles the ship, but that's about it...?

Kewel. Looks like you've got a definite handle on it!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Damn..no toilet!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
Ah, OK. So, it's sort of like the old Monogram Battlestar Galactica kit, eh? Kinda resembles the ship, but that's about it...?

Kewel. Looks like you've got a definite handle on it!

How would I explain it?

Imagine the Galactica kit with absolutely no surface detail.The hull's too short,the head's too big,no "arms" to support the landing bays,and one landing bay was shorter and fatter than the other.

You have a rough shape to work with. Any detail,or correct contours are strictly up to you.

Believe me,if my scratch-building skills were up to par with many of the other guys here,I'd make my own hull. COMBAT MODELS (in my opinion)
is an option of last resort.

But, at least it's cheap.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Damn the 1/350 scale torpedos!

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Combat Models? Oh, you poor, poor bastard.

Personally I think you would be better off trying your hand at scratch building the hull yourself. Seriously. The Cat can do it, I can do it I know you can do it.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Damn..no toilet!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Melder View Post
Combat Models? Oh, you poor, poor bastard.

Personally I think you would be better off trying your hand at scratch building the hull yourself. Seriously. The Cat can do it, I can do it I know you can do it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence,Aaron.

The Combat Models "U-9" kit arrived today. And surprisingly,it's actually not too bad. The only major flaw is that the recess for the anchor is way too far back,and will need to be re-located much closer to the bow.

Forward torpedo tubes will have to be re-worked. The stern section will have to be re-contoured,and aft firing torpedo tubes will have to be added. I need to get rid of all the molded in details too.

It's workable,but will need lots of filling,and internal reinforcement.

The third photo is the kit supplied,starboard side of the conning tower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2433.JPG (887.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2436.JPG (888.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2437.JPG (886.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by U-boater; 07-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Damn..no toilet!?

As many of you can guess,this build is going to take time,effort,and LOTS
of patience.

Here are the plans enclosed with the kit. It seems that they were made to match the kit features,and not the actual boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2442.JPG (875.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Take ALL the time you want Bob----- I for one, am just happy to see you around these parts more these days.

This is gonna be good!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Damn..no toilet!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post

Take ALL the time you want Bob----- I for one, am just happy to see you around these parts more these days.

This is gonna be good!
Thank you Neb!

It appears that my original conning tower has to be completely re-done.

I'll need to make a slightly larger/longer one. There's a helmsmans wheel at the front of the top of the conning tower (visible in the kit plans) mentioned in the following article.Also...the railings were not permanently mounted onto the conning tower,but were screwed into the deck,to be removed before diving.....

http://www.vlib.us/wwi/resources/arc...s/uboatu9.html

For those of you who've watched "Das Boot",the Type VII U-boat was a luxury liner compared to this boat.

That's right...everything sticking up in the photos (telegraph aerials,railings,ventilation tubes,bracing wires,and exhaust "stacks") had to be taken down and stowed before the boat could dive.

Damn!! What a pain in the ass that must've been!