Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM

dtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud of
Default Randy Cooper Star Destroyer build and tutorial by dtssyst

It is summer time and that means I can sand resin pieces outside. I hate having all that resin dust in the house. It just gets everywhere. Makes it hard to dust as well .

As of this post, I have built three Anigrand Star Destroyer kits and one Randy Cooper kit. I would like to take what I have learned from those builds and apply it to my own build.

Some of the steps I take are nothing close to how Randy's instructions say to do it. I know that there are many ways to get the end result. This thread will show you how I get to the end result. Hopefully this WIP thread/tutorial will help those who have this kit and are not sure what to do or at the least see my approach on how I do it.

This Randy Cooper Star Destroyer build will be with fiber optic windows, lit hanger bay, and lit engines.

My goal is to have it finished by the end of the summer if not sooner.

This WIP thread will be picture heavy. I will try to have videos if/when needed.

Just ask if you have any questions along the way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (565.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by dtssyst; 04-25-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM

dtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud of
Default Re: dtssyst RC Star Destroyer build and tutorial

The frame (internal support) parts all cleaned up and ready to be put together.

Last edited by dtssyst; 04-25-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM

The following images show the internal support assembled. I also added half inch square wood. This is to aid in keeping the internal support straight and to aid in the support of the main hull of the ship.

The wood was cut to the same length as the center resin support.

The wood screws to help hold it all together are #4 x 1/2" that I picked up at Wal-Mart.

30 minute two part epoxy was used in addition to the screws.

I also used some wood that was laying around on the piece marked 'front'. This will come in handy when the front bottom hull parts are attached.

Last edited by dtssyst; 04-25-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM

Mark the center line on the bottom of the internal support. This will be very helpful when installing the first bottom hull piece.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Randy Cooper Star Destroyer build and tutorial by dtssyst

Bottom hull pieces have been cleaned up for the next step.

I applied 30 minute two part epoxy to the internal support only on the areas where the bottom hull piece will attach. Then used clamps to hold the part in place until the glue is dry.

Last edited by dtssyst; 04-25-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM

The other half of the bottom hull is now glued into place.

I drew some lines (used a pencil) on the hull panels so I know where the internal support is located. This will be helpful in another step.

Last edited by dtssyst; 04-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All

Nice tutorial. I usually see this one just sitting on a stand (without a mounting point). Are you doing this one the same?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM

dbhs,
Correct, It will sit on a stand and not have a mounting point. Thanks for asking and thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 AM

This part was cast a little thin so I corrected it with some putty.
Once dry, I attached it with screws and 30 minute epoxy.
I used the aluminum to help with alignment and to make sure the parts were straight.
The 1/2" wood is for the kit to rest upon so the model would not shift as I was attaching the hull part.
Please note: Last photo shows that I had to add more wood to the internal support so I would have a better attach point for the hull part.

Last edited by dtssyst; 04-27-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 AM

Test fit to check alignment.
Holes drilled for screws.

Last edited by dtssyst; 04-27-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Glued and Screwed.
Do not glue the front two hull halves together yet! That will be later. For now, just concern yourself with alignment and attaching the part to the frame (internal support).

Last edited by dtssyst; 04-27-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 AM

Yes, there will be some putty work in the future.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:56 AM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that I really understood what it takes to build one of these until i saw your tutorial pics. Thanks so much for this, man.

Last edited by allthumbs; 04-27-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM

ChrisMac is a jewel in the roughChrisMac is a jewel in the roughChrisMac is a jewel in the roughChrisMac is a jewel in the roughChrisMac is a jewel in the rough

I've been working on a Cooper Star Destroyer for about 4 months. Dtssyst was a big help with the lighting and always answered my questions.

I'll be watch this build pretty close.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM

allthumbs,
Some kits like this are a challenge. With some work they really can shine once completed. Also, no problem and thanks for following.

ChrisMac,
Thank you for the compliment.
I say that you start a wip thread of your build so I and others here can follow along in your adventure. Also thanks for following.

Update:
nothing, nada, zip, zero...
I did a lot of work around the house this week including a garden. So I did nothing on the build since the last update. Don't worry, I will be back to work on it tomorrow. Hopefully I will post an update in a few days.

Last edited by dtssyst; 05-02-2013 at 05:43 PM.