Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Squall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the rough
Default 1/32 HO-229

I haven't built a model in over a year, and for some ungodly reason, I decided to jump in to building a Combat Models 1/32 HO-229 vacuform kit. So far, I've roughly cut out the main two halves, about the only pieces that are of any use, and have made a list of all the inaccuracies that need to be fixed.

As she sits now:

Some of the kit's inaccuracies have been mentioned before, and the ones I've noticed are the lack of the landing gear blister, the incorrectly shaped nose, the incorrect engine blisters, and the shallowness of the cockpit area. I have the 1/48 Dragon model and am using it as a reference.

Here you can see the "smooth" underside of the plane lacking the landing gear blister:

The bottom blister should look like this:

Here is a shot of the engine blisters showing their incorrect taper:

From the Dragon model, and from what limited references that are available, it should look more like this:

The nose on the kit is too "thin" and comes to a point instead of the rounded edge seen on the Dragon model:

The included vacuformed Jumo 004's look like a headache to work with, so I'm going to just use plastic tube with home made resin casts of the parts of a Jumo 004 taken from the 1/32 Trumpeter ME-262 that's next on the pile.

I usually use Lego's to make my mold walls, and unfortunately ran out, so I was only able to make a few of them first, and will then reuse the Lego's for the others.

I've also got one of the MK 108 30mm cannons and am going to see if I can make a copy of it for use. As for the main body of the bird, I'm going to have to build up the landing gear blister, correct the engine blister tapers, and build up the shallow cockpit area. All of these I'll do with the plank and frame technique. As for the nose, I'm likely just going to cut off the current one and build a new one using the same technique, then reattach it.

I'm going for a type of "What-if" style with this build, so I'm capable of using a bit of artistic licence with the build. Should be fun, if your idea of fun is driving yourself crazy and pulling your hair out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 229p.jpg (73.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Runs With Scissors

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/32 HO-229

A wild, wild bird. Looking forward to seeing more!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Damn..no toilet!?

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Good luck,and Godspeed.....

This is going to be a MASSIVE undertaking,but
you're off to a good start.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM

Squall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the roughSquall67584 is a jewel in the rough

Minor update on this... After taking a good hard look at this model, I decided that it's more trouble than it's worth. So instead, I'm going to scratchbuild it in the same 1:32 scale using the DML 1:48 version as a reference. So far, I've spent about 4 hours measuring one of the wings with digital calipers to make profile skeletal ribs out of balsa. Each wing will have 9 of these ribs (1 per inch in 1:32) and then skinned with styrene sheet. After measuring the ventral side of the wing for thickness along 6 points on each rib, and getting a headache doing it, I'll then do the same for the dorsal side, and then draw each of the ribs in AutoCAD with the scaled up numbers. To make it even more difficult for me, I've decided to measure the model in metric since millimeters are more precise than imperial on any of the rulers I have, and then convert it to imperial for AutoCAD... I know I can make AutoCAD do metric, but at work we only use imperial measurements, and I'm doing it for practice with the program. I'll print out the drawings on 11X17 paper, then cut them out to use them as templates on the balsa.

I seriously must be losing my mind...
Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Yes! Yes!

That is all.