Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 02-03-2008, 04:34 AM

Bishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond repute
Default POTA Icarus

Now, I didn't build this (I'm hopeless with anything that doesn't come out of a box), but my best friend Stuart is quite talented so I gave him the job!

http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/peternoble.htm

He did fantastically well for saying he'd only built kits and this before:

http://website.lineone.net/~stu_williamson/Web%20pages/Wreck%20new%20page.htm

It needs updating a bit with the paint scheme and proper flag decals but Planet of the Apes is my favourite film and the "Icarus" is my favourite movie spaceship, so it's all good.

Cheers,

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Icarus_2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	3449  Click image for larger version

Name:	Icarus_1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	3450  Click image for larger version

Name:	Icarus_3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	3451  Click image for larger version

Name:	Icarus_4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	3452  Click image for larger version

Name:	Icarus_5.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	3453  Click image for larger version

Name:	Icarus_6.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	3454  Click image for larger version

Name:	Icarus_7.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	3455  Click image for larger version

Name:	pete_icarus_pix.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	3456  

Last edited by Bishop37; 02-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Mutants Detected!

Griffworks has disabled reputation

He did a great job on that! I'd think that there should be decals available for that scale somewhere. Or at least in 1/32 scale, right?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 AM

RKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond repute

WOAH!!

Check out that Titanic wreck model. That has to be the greatest model I've ever seen.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global has disabled reputation

Now that is BEAUTIFUL!!! A GREAT JOB!!! Thank you for posting it!

Ever wonder how is got the name ICARUS? It wasn't named when they made the movie from my understanding of things?

Jim K,... I know you are a foremost expert on the subject. Might you be able to shed light in that? Pleeeaaaaase? LOLOLOLOL

To get a thumbnail photo, as usual, I grabbed and uploaded one for you. But then, since I was getting the photo anyway... and saw there were just a few, I ended up grabbing and uploading them all to your post.

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Bishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
He did a great job on that! I'd think that there should be decals available for that scale somewhere. Or at least in 1/32 scale, right?
Yeah, he did a great job. He's got none of the really hardcore tools that the guys round here have but he's got a lot of ingenuity when it comes to repurposing items to make them into bits for his models.

He made this, it's pretty delicate and needs a bit of repair because the wings extend and there wasn't a ton of reference for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warhawk16ft.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	765.6 KB
ID:	3457  
Old 02-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Oh SWEET! The HAWK Fighter! VERY NICE!!

Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM

customreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to behold
Default Icarus; what's in a name?

Kurt,

Larry Evans, I believe is credited with naming the ship, Icarus, back in the 80's. I had a lengthy discussion with him while I was in my "heyday" at Lunar Models.

He felt it was an apropriate name given what happens to it upon re-entry in the frst movie.

The ship had no name, and was credited as being called "Air-Force 1" in the trading cards. Otherwise, it was just the ship ( kinda like "she" or "old gal" would be thrown around in nautical terms ). After all, it wasn't the star of the movie, Chuck was.

To me it, it has always been one of my favorites, and it was indeed the star of the movie to this 10 year old at the time it came out.

I don't know if I agree with the black on the rear section ( not rear wall ), although many have stated it was painted that way. Phil Broad ( Cloudster ) seems to have the best take on it, after having studied the actual metal rocket on the Fox backlot.

Nonetheless, the detailing inside is absolutely 1st rate attention to detail ( particularly the ceiling padding ). I like that he made the seats rights, with all the metal bars and such. The red escape hatch and tan colored interior are spot on.

Great scratch built effort!

Jim Key - Custom Replicas
Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Now that is a very kewl tidbit of info! Thanks Jim!

I too love that design!

Scott Alexander once told me that there was a story about the name, but we never got around to it in our conversation that day. I remember him stating that you had done some amazing things regarding that model and I knew that you would have the answer!

I have some photos of the full sized beastie being filmed at Lake Powell with Heston and the guys abandoning ship. Plus some shots of the interior. I was thinking about posting them. I don't remember the photographers name, but I am certain you have these photos as well.

Thanks for the info once again.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 PM

customreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to beholdcustomreplicator is a splendid one to behold
Default Photos at Lake Powell

Kurt,

Those are all from Fox's in house photographer ( I believe ). Again, Phil Broad has many of those on his site, and they are a fantastic collection, with some in color.

If you can contact him, I'd compare notes, before posting, as he would know how to best advise you on those.

I'd love to make this as a 4 foot collectible ( before retiring, complete with figures ), if we had enough support or a patron willing to underwite the entire project.

I have many of those shots too, and if this group is real nice, I might be inclined to post the high res. copies of my article artwork, and the plans...

...say please.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:46 PM

Default To Stuart and Peter on the Icarus build,

Kurt, Richard,

Let's extend a heartfelt welcome to Peter and Stuart for sharing this build and invite more of a response, or how they went about making the miniature.

Would love to see more photos of the build process, and I'm flattered to see someone take the time to do a really faithful build using my plans.

A refreshing break from all the ST, SW, and BSG we've been absorbed in lately!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:03 PM
STOO-PID FLANDERS!!

Freddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud ofFreddog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by customreplicator View Post
Kurt,

Larry Evans, I believe is credited with naming the ship, Icarus, back in the 80's. I had a lengthy discussion with him while I was in my "heyday" at Lunar Models.

He felt it was an apropriate name given what happens to it upon re-entry in the frst movie.

The ship had no name, and was credited as being called "Air-Force 1" in the trading cards. Otherwise, it was just the ship ( kinda like "she" or "old gal" would be thrown around in nautical terms ). After all, it wasn't the star of the movie, Chuck was.

To me it, it has always been one of my favorites, and it was indeed the star of the movie to this 10 year old at the time it came out.

I don't know if I agree with the black on the rear section ( not rear wall ), although many have stated it was painted that way. Phil Broad ( Cloudster ) seems to have the best take on it, after having studied the actual metal rocket on the Fox backlot.

Nonetheless, the detailing inside is absolutely 1st rate attention to detail ( particularly the ceiling padding ). I like that he made the seats rights, with all the metal bars and such. The red escape hatch and tan colored interior are spot on.

Great scratch built effort!

I believe the black on the rear section is correct. There's a scene in Escape from the Planet of the Apes with the ship on a flatbed and IIRC, the rear was black (although I suppose it could have just been weathering). Didn't someone make a kit of the 'ship in the water' diorama?

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like the rear of the "Escape..." ship was charred black but it was also shorter-- missing the aft cryo chamber section. My bad.

Last edited by Freddog; 02-03-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 PM

X15-A2 will become famous soon enoughX15-A2 will become famous soon enough

The rear of the ship from PotA has a medium grey band around it, somewhat lighter than primer grey, perhaps closer to battleship grey. The band can be seen underwater in the high angle shot taken from a helicopter where we see the ship in the lake far below. That is about the only time it is seen on screen. In "Beneath" it is either too faded to be seen in the bright desert sun or it was painted over. I do know that the stripe was visible on the aft fuselage panels when I saw them much later at the Fox Ranch, shortly before the ranch and its contents were sold off (the ranch itself was given to the state to be used as a park). So if it had been painted over for "Beneath", the paint was water based and had washed off by then (they would not have painted the stripe back on).

The "black" area that you see on the rear of the ship in "Escape" was the newly fitted capsule-style "heat shield" and was in fact a dark mottled green (but it did look black on screen).

Although I like Jims drawings of the ship, there is no reason to believe that the studio Mill did not use the dimensions as shown on the studio blueprints. That being the case, the ship would scale out somewhat larger (45 feet long).

Last edited by X15-A2; 02-05-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:20 PM

Carson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to behold

Don't listen to Phil, he just makes this stuff up.

Next thing you know he'll be telling us the full scale mock-up was designed to submerge on camera.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Awesome, great interior aswell. A grand ship
Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

Bumping for originality.

Did Stuart ever join us? Get him over here. I'd like to see more of his work.