Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 10-06-2016, 07:03 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Hood Class Battlecruiser

Minor update working on the secondary hull fitting. The two sections were glued together following a little flaring of the aft half with a heat gun to meet the front half. A file helped clean up the joint and smooth the transition. The flat insets on either side remain to be extended and blended. It's unusual to be thinking about lighting so quickly in the build but that's my next step - since the keel is done.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 07-19-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:50 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if you were going to light the model.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:07 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Klingon View Post
I was wondering if you were going to light the model.
I think in models of this scale, I feel like I should.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 10-07-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:03 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Curious as to how you plan to carve out the flat insets? Doesnt seem like that would be simple.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:26 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysurge View Post
Curious as to how you plan to carve out the flat insets? Doesnt seem like that would be simple.
A flat file should make very easy work of continuing this area. However, I am contemplating eliminating this detail and revising the hull and grill areas completely.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:00 PM
All ahead full

Weekend update: Almost two solid days in the shop yielded pretty good progress on the Hood. First off, I decided to bite the bullet and dive into the side recess detail that I had been contemplating for a while. Many sketches and 3D mock-ups were generated but I settled on this:

This was done by cutting a "U" shaped line through the hull with a Dremel and cut-off wheel, pushing the open end inwards and propping it open with a 1/8" wide piece of styrene and then wrapped in .040 for the side walls. A paper template had to be made to get the shape just right for the inner wall to fold into place.

The dorsal halves were trimmed down and shimmed out with a 1/2" piece of styrene:

And as I accomplished with the Sentinel bridge module, I started on the Hood command deck using the same materials and methods. First, I printed out another full-scale top view of the components, traced them onto the high-denisty urethane and cut them out, carving the rounded corners down with a coarse hobby rasp. The primary top was also trimmed to fit the unit so that it can be installed for underneath. These urethane master pieces have several more passes to get them whittled down to shape a little better. Once they're ready, they'll be coated in Minwax polyacrylic and primer coats and sanded until they are glass smooth, then molded and cast in resin.

Hood command deck and Enterprise module for size comparison:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 07-19-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Hot damn! That cutout is just sexy. Getting a classic car vibe. Screams TOS.

You sir are a genius...
Old 10-24-2016, 08:13 PM

Lord Uglor New face in the crowd

That secondary hull design is just awesome. One step further away from the Enterprise, yet not even remotely out of place. Amazing work!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:38 AM

Chief D.D. Maxwell will become famous soon enoughChief D.D. Maxwell will become famous soon enough

I love the way the secondary hull is! It looks almost like additional armor and structural reinforcement- definitely helps convey "Battle Cruiser"!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:36 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Woo! Awesome update.

Ok, questions:
1) The side reminds me of the 2014-ish Dodge Charger. Police car influence on Starfleet designers...?
2) The widened neck reminds me the Ambassador class.
3) Did you have to change the shape of the top of the neck pieces (to accommodate the wider sides)?
4) Last pic: what's in that drawing? Looks like a deflector dish next to a... big round part....? Or is that some optical illusion....?

Best-
-SF
Old 10-25-2016, 05:59 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Woo! Awesome update.

Ok, questions:
1) The side reminds me of the 2014-ish Dodge Charger. Police car influence on Starfleet designers...?
2) The widened neck reminds me the Ambassador class.
3) Did you have to change the shape of the top of the neck pieces (to accommodate the wider sides)?
4) Last pic: what's in that drawing? Looks like a deflector dish next to a... big round part....? Or is that some optical illusion....?

Best-
-SF

Thanks!

1) I know I'm destined to never hear the end of the Dodge jokes with this ship. I only hope that when it's done it won't be a detriment to the rest of her design.

2-3) The dorsal is about twice as wide and half as high as the standard E. I trimmed both ends to get it within the specs of the secondary and primary that it bridges. There will be some more fine-tuning once it's ready to be glued into place. The leading edge will need a bit more material to round out the flat face.

4) I think that is a profile print-out of the bridge module - which was isolated from the rest of the primary 3D model, some other elements such as the main dish were left in the image. There is a paper cut-out of the top-view of just the bridge shape sitting on this sheet. This was used as the pattern reference for the bridge sculpt.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 10-26-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:05 PM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice

Bill, how are you shaping the bridge components? By hand, or by computer-guided milling?

Tracy
Old 10-26-2016, 05:05 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar710 View Post
Bill, how are you shaping the bridge components? By hand, or by computer-guided milling?

Tracy
These are sculpted by hand using a hobby rasp. The only computer-guided milling being generated are the synapses flowing between my brain and my fingertips.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:51 PM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice

Awesome work maintaining symmetry! I'm a big fan of old school modeling... mainly because I don't have the CGI knowledge and tools to grow and 3D print my own stuff.

Tracy
Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar710 View Post
Awesome work maintaining symmetry! I'm a big fan of old school modeling... mainly because I don't have the CGI knowledge and tools to grow and 3D print my own stuff.

Tracy
Thanks. I'll be using a variety of custom modification methods, some hand-carved and cast, some kit-bashed and scratched and still other parts 3D printed.