Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 PM

3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold
Default Building A studio Scale A-wing

It's come to my attention through my own mistakes, that trying to be a great model builder doesn't always mean you do it on the first try. In fact what makes up the real good builders is the ability and fortitude to stat over.The ability to be able correct mistakes by using the correct methods.The hardest part is walking to the garbage with something 95% finished and dropping it in!! If it wasn't for the fact that I look forward to seeing this ship done the best "I" can do....... the walk to the garbage would have bee much harder!!

Well Rich this is what we have so far....I think you can see I am much closer now.Coming out 240mm flat from the rear deck and building up the shoulder lines has helped a great deal.

If you are really interested in this build, this is the vacuum buck for the hull. Also in the picture is the canopy bulkhead buck and the canopy/ canopy rail buck. I will be vacuum forming as much as I can,there will be some cast resin parts. These parts include vector rings, rear engine cowlings, laser cannons, and a few original ILM kit parts.

When I have the hull buck correct I will be vacuum forming it....when my wife is not HOME!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mvc-105s.jpg (36.2 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-106s.jpg (36.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-107s.jpg (36.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-108s.jpg (39.3 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by 3D-builder; 11-21-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

Much better, it looks perfect.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Modelhead

Max Zephyr has disabled reputation

Way to tackle it man! You'll this bugger back in no time.

"Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it."
--Somerset Maugham
Old 11-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Kneel Hoomans! Mwaahaa!

Apophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati God

Wow, Mike! I know this will be great like your snowspeeder!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Good to see you here, Michael! It's comin' right along!

Now we gotta get Al over here!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!

Last edited by Griffworks; 11-21-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM

3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold

There is a area at the back of the A-wing that is flat.This area is the rear deck it has a span off L=240mm and W=188mm. Occupying this area are two assemblies, the canopy bulkhead and the canopy and rail. This area has to be flat...not kind of flat or a little flat, dead nuts flat. I drew some reference lines on the plug and got started.To make sure I was sanding flat I wrapped the sand paper around a 2x4 cut to length.To sand on the exact lines I held a steel rule down on the plug as I sanded.There is a tiny bit of Apoxie Sculpt needed to fill the gap at the 240mm mark, after this it's pretty much ready for warm plastic!!

Regards,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mvc-109s.jpg (37.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-111s.jpg (38.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-112s.jpg (37.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-115s.jpg (38.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-116s.jpg (40.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-117s.jpg (37.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-118s.jpg (36.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-121s.jpg (36.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

LOLOLOL.. Like I stated in your "welcome" thread Michael... I think we are all in for a treat in watching you create this beastie.

Correcting the angle that bothered you didn't take you long at all!

This is going to be a FANTASTIC BEASTIE!!! I am excited!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 11-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Banned

modman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati God

looks great. what material are you using for the master, is that a plaster or a cement like ultra cal.

Al
Old 11-22-2007, 09:26 AM

Al the plug is all pine with a amount of bondo but the top layer is a two part modeling clay called Apoxie Sculpt. It dries like granite hard so it's great for forming over.

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-27-2007, 12:11 AM

I pulled the top hull today, and cut out the center insert. I also fit a new center insert....what a BITCH!! I will post pictures of the vacuum forming of the lower hull as I forgot when I did the top hull.I finished up th canopy plug, to get it to sit flat on the center insert I cut it in half.This allowed it to angle down and match the slope of the insert.Then I filled the gap in the plug with CA glue. Next I added the tip of the canopy rail.I sculpted this out of Apoxie sculpt right on the model, so it would also match the slope of the center insert. I also cut the template out for the gun emplacements on each side of the model.Tomorrow I will form the canopy bulkhead and the canopy rail, scribe the panel lines into the top hull.

Regards,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mvc-355s.jpg (38.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-356s.jpg (37.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-357s.jpg (38.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-358s.jpg (37.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 AM

frostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the roughfrostrubin is a jewel in the rough

Looks great! Canīt wait to see first "casts".
Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Most excellent! It starts... again!

Very kewl Michael! Very kewl!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 AM

I have plotted all the panel lines on the top hull, they are not scribed in the pictures. If you want to get better at scribing panel lines I have the ultimate tool PRACTICE!! Next I will fire up the oven and warm up some plastic for the canopy and canopy bulkhead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mvc-360s.jpg (36.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-361s.jpg (36.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

That was quick! Nice work Michael.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

The boy don't hang about, this much is certain.
Top notch stuff Michael!
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?