Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 05-29-2014, 04:44 PM

kenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is the New Moebius TOS Cylon Raider Studio Scale?

There has been some debate as to whether the new Moebius 1/32 scale Cylon Raider is studio scale (the same size as the original studio model) or not. So I decided to find out, by doing some one on one comparisons. Unfortunately, I do not have a studio raider to compare it to (boy, I wish I had a studio prop raider!!), but I do have a Hasegawa 1/72 Leopold German Railway gun, which supplied many of the detail parts for the raider. The photos tell the story; with the Leopold parts placed along side of the corresponding part of the raider, the dark gray is the Leopold, light gray is the raider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2696.JPG (2.49 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2698.JPG (2.57 MB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2699.JPG (2.58 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2700.JPG (2.56 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2701.JPG (2.64 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2702.JPG (2.54 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2703.JPG (2.63 MB, 24 views)
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM

kenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of lightkenpiniak is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is the New Moebius TOS Cylon Raider Studio Scale?

More:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2704.JPG (2.55 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2705.JPG (2.62 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2706.JPG (2.56 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2707.JPG (2.61 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2708.JPG (2.55 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2709.JPG (2.63 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2710.JPG (2.51 MB, 11 views)
Old 05-29-2014, 04:51 PM

I will let people make up their own minds about this; but for me, it is no contest, especially when you take into account slight variations in measurements and scaling between the two kits, and the limitations of the injection molding process, the parts are essentially identical. This kit is studio scale.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting! I enjoyed the images and it sure looks to be studio scale to me.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:31 AM
Not to scale

robn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of All

I haven't seen any debate about whether it's studio scale or not, that much is a given. It was made from a scan of the Salzo SS kit.

The debate has been over the specific scale, is it 1/32 as stated? Some say it's actually a bit smaller than that, but I couldn't say.

Thanks for the comparison pics.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn1 View Post
I haven't seen any debate about whether it's studio scale or not, that much is a given. It was made from a scan of the Salzo SS kit.

The debate has been over the specific scale, is it 1/32 as stated? Some say it's actually a bit smaller than that, but I couldn't say.

Thanks for the comparison pics.
I did not know it was based on the Salzo SS kit. Makes sense though.
As for what scale it is, 1/32 or smaller, I checked that out next. Figuring out the scale of the raider is difficult; as unlike the viper, there is no pilot figure or cockpit with a known size to work off of, and no full scale mock up, only a cockpit interior set.
I do have a set of the 1978 issue blueprints, which include the Cylon cockpit set. So armed with that, my Moebius raider kit, my trusty electronic calipers, and a hand calculator, I set to work. Unfortunately, the shape and dimensions of the cockpit set (specifically the louvered windows) do not match up with the model (same thing as with with the viper). But they all showed that the Moebius kit is a little small. The numbers varied a bit, but they seemed to center around 1/34 scale (approx.).

All in all, I do not think that this will make much difference, a 1/32 scale Cylon or Human will both look good next to it, or in it if you add a cockpit.
Ken.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Yes.

Mike