Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/350 USS North Carolina - a happy mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Melder View Post
ya know, maybe you should make one up and put the thing in rubber and sell it to people.....there has to be people that have noticed the same accuracy issues you have about this kit.
I'd love to - except I have zero resin experience...
Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Here are more pics.

I got the Eduard set in Friday and had some fun with it. Haven't had the opportunity to do much with it - gonna try and resist the temptation to build up things like the radars, cranes, etc. until they're needed.

Many areas of the ship are ready for hatches and armored windows though.

I love the Eduard set. One neat thing is that they etched a weak spot at the folds to help you fold the parts more precisely. However, that's a sucky thing because it is, well, a weak point.

They provide you with a 'faceplate' for the Bridge, and it is very much a coolness as you don't need to screw with attaching all the little round covers.

The NORTH CAROLINA lettering that goes on the stern is too big and the wrong font, and the SK-2 radar will need replacing. Their method of making the two ship's bells is a bit shitless - each is supposedly make up of two PE pieces and you're supposed to fill it in with putty and shape it.Pics of that later.

Bottom line though, the Eduard set is the way to go.

I scribed the hull plates, added bull-nose rings, added plating, and made bilge drain pipes. I couldn't find any pics of bilge drains on the bottom aft of the hull, so I filled them in. I also thickened the after 40mm mounts.

On the main superstructure, I had to remove and raise the armored conning tower - it sits about 1mm too low. Photos show it to be juuuuust a hair taller than the roof of the structure behind it.

Hope ya like!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

I could be wrong, but I think I do a decent effort at staying informed of "what folks are up to" on the net with ship builds especially. While others have pointed out innacuracies with the N.Carolina Trumpeter kit I am not aware of ANYONE devoting this level of attention to the details and making this multitude of corrections so far!

Besides that- it's looking FUCKING GOOD!

Kudos Kitty!

Now, my only 'nit' which I am going to pick- do you like the anchor chain "shape"?

Back to Kudos Kitty!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDuck View Post
I could be wrong, but I think I do a decent effort at staying informed of "what folks are up to" on the net with ship builds especially. While others have pointed out innacuracies with the N.Carolina Trumpeter kit I am not aware of ANYONE devoting this level of attention to the details and making this multitude of corrections so far!

Besides that- it's looking FUCKING GOOD!

Kudos Kitty!

Now, my only 'nit' which I am going to pick- do you like the anchor chain "shape"?

Back to Kudos Kitty!

Duck -

Pick all the nits you want to - that's one of the reasons I'm posting this WIP!

I guess you could call me the 'Anti Shanko', because I want all the input I can get!

Here's a closeup of the chain, along with Wonder Woman's Kingfisher.

I like the shape - but then I don't know of any better? What's your input?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:01 PM

JohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant future

Look'n Good, Even that invisable plane. LOL
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Well, here's a closeup of one from the Alabama-

And a link in case you wanna enlarge the viewing-
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/scan0004.jpg

So, IMHO "your's" looks a lil too roundish in each link? But that's just my opinion of course.

It's hard to find good chain but ModelExpo and Tigerman (or is it just "Tiger" IIRC) products offer some real nice ones.

HTH?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know, all this Carolina talk makes me think maybe I should start up something IJN, maybe my Nagato...or Mutsu......heh

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

Here's something for the CAT to play with.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F.jpg (106.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg File2509.jpg (627.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg File2508.jpg (509.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg File2510.jpg (442.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg File2511.jpg (224.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg File2512.jpg (340.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg G.jpg (71.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg H.jpg (104.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg I.jpg (203.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg J.jpg (482.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg K.jpg (651.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg L.jpg (94.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg M.jpg (180.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Just wondering if you'll change the colour of the "chain" for the anchor or is that the right colour for when it is first delivered?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:31 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB43MAN View Post
Here's something for the CAT to play with.

Enjoy!

That does it: the Eduard SK-2's headed for the trash can!* or, instead of wasting it I'll send it to whoever wants it...

Thanks, Cliff - there's a wealth of info in those pics.

Duck - you're right about the chains... I'm going to keep 'em until I can find the right kind. Thanks for pointing that out - I'd have missed it
Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

Try the Floatingdrydock.com. They sell all kinds of chains for the scale your'e working on.

Keep those updates coming! I love that superstructure modifications.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Hey Cliff,

What do you recommend as far as bases are concerned? This is a GOOD time in her construction to get one ready

And... thanks for the lead!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Banned

talon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of All

I've always been a fan of the wood blocks like they use during construction and dry docking myself.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Banned

talon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of All

My favorite "above-the-water-line" display method is the water-resin stuff that looks like water that shows the ship in transit with a nice sculpted wake.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Main and secondary batteries.

I'm going to do a side-by-side-by-side comparison of the components sometime soon, but suffice to say that 1) The Voyager 5" guns and turrets ROCK, 2) the 16" barrels that come with the Yankee Modelworks turrets suck out loud, 3) the 16" turrets themselves are great except for odd blocks on the roofs of two of them that must be removed, and 4) the 5" turrets that come with the 16" set (which was a surprise to me as I was just expecting the 16s) are MUCH better than the kit turrets but pale in comparison to the Voyagers.

The barrels of the Voyager 5 inchers are turned brass with HOLLOW MUZZLES!

Also, the people at Voyager seem to assume that the modeller will provide his or her own PE. The PE you see on mine are from the Eduard set.

Here they are:

(organism time)