Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God
Exclamation The Star Trek movie SPOILER thread! DO NOT READ if you haven't seen the film!!!!

WARNING! Proceed no further cuz' here there be spoilers discussed!

Figured I'd start this thread for those of us who want to discuss the film in detail without spoiling it for anyone else. Participants please contain spoiler data to this thread only please. Thank you!

Leonard Nimoy as Spock and his crucial role in this timeline alteration and outcome. Pretty cool! Made the film much easier to digest knowing it's a new quantum reality.

Nero... nothing some intervention and counseling wouldn't fix. 'Course... with the loss of Romulus... I guess finding a good one would be something of a problem!

Redshirt dying by drilling beam. Well, you knew that just had to happen.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All
Default Re: The Star Trek movie SPOILER thread! DO NOT READ if you haven't seen the film!!!!

I LOVED the part where the cadets are going out to the ships, you see the huge spacedock and all the different starships docked! And, then you see the ENTERPRISE!!!!!! WOW!!!!!

Been three times so far, going again!!!!!

"I like this ship! It's exciting!"
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Star Trek movie SPOILER thread! DO NOT READ if you haven't seen the film!!!!

How much do you want to bet that elder Spock just walked into the head quarters at starfleet, put his feet up on the table, and said "gentlemen, I have approximately 130 years of future history at my disposal and all I ask is that you make my friend Jim Kirk captain of the Enterprise.

Oh, and Chris? don't go on that rescue mission...
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

" Oh... and if you run into some DY-100...dead in space... fire all phasers! "
Old 05-11-2009, 12:50 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I'm with OOT on the whole rank/advancement thing.

Howsomever the movie damn ROCKED.

The scenes with Kelvin were great - the scenes with Enterprise - hell ALL the starships - felt *real*.

Winona Ryder was hot.

"I am not our father".

McCoy bitching about how many ways there were to die in the shuttlecraft.

How he got the 'Bones' nickname - De Kelley's McCoy's 'Bones' came from 'Sawbones'.... but when TOS was aired, there were as many westerns being aired as there are CSIs today so people would have related to Sawbones better then. Current McCoy - divorced - fits in with Trek Fan Lore that McCoy was divorced. Nice touch!

Speaking of Trek Fan Lore, Kirk's mom was named Winona.... same as in Trek XI!

Ceti Eels.

The cracking station on Delta Vega.

The phaser - red and green tips - in a way silly but in a way sensible from a weapons viewpoint - there is absolutely no doubt as to the weapon's condition!

Closing theme - I 'bout nutted.

The Spock/Uhura thing bugged me a bit.

I like how Pike's Admiralty uniform looked a bit like the Admiral uniforms on TMP!

I like Pike.

Though he ended up in the wheelchair, I'm glad Pike didn't get fucked up like he did in that damnable Class J Freighter (You know - the ones with the Capissen 38 Warp Drive?)

Damn good casting:

Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Yeoman Rand should be in the next one, and here's the woman who ought to play her:

Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
I'm with OOT on the whole rank/advancement thing.

Howsomever the movie damn ROCKED.
My only real complaint. Agreed about the movie in general!

Quote:
The scenes with Kelvin were great - the scenes with Enterprise - hell ALL the starships - felt *real*.
Yes they did!

Quote:
Winona Ryder was hot.
Loved her since 'Beetlejuice'. I don't know if that was real aging or makeup, but she's matured rather well. Brown eyes... *sigh*. Sad that Amanda wound up dying in this timeline.

Quote:
"I am not our father".
Nope. Although Ben Cross did a great turn as Sarek... Mark Lenard is sorely missed. Would have loved to have seen him in this film. RIP, Mr. Lenard.

Quote:
McCoy bitching about how many ways there were to die in the shuttlecraft.
Bitching in GENERAL! " Well, looks like you've just inherited his responsibilities as Chief Medical Officer. "

" Yeah? Tell me something I don't know... "

" Dammit, Spock! I'm a doctor, not a physicist! "

Classic. Karl Urban IS Bones now. Loved the running gag of him hypo-spraying the shit out of Kirk... a real pain in the neck!

Quote:
How he got the 'Bones' nickname - De Kelley's McCoy's 'Bones' came from 'Sawbones'.... but when TOS was aired, there were as many westerns being aired as there are CSIs today so people would have related to Sawbones better then. Current McCoy - divorced - fits in with Trek Fan Lore that McCoy was divorced. Nice touch!
What he said about divorce taking everything but his bones. Yep, brother... been there, done that. Sharing a drink with Kirk... classic character interaction right there.

Quote:
Speaking of Trek Fan Lore, Kirk's mom was named Winona.... same as in Trek XI!
That part was great. But I'd like to know what the hell she was doing on the Kelvin, especially full term like that. Also, what about older brother George Samuel? ( " Only I call him Sam. " ).

Quote:
Ceti Eels.
Were they? I didn't quite catch what Nero called them. Dunno if they were Ceti Eels, but they were very similar. Nice touch.

Quote:
The cracking station on Delta Vega.
Which is really way off the beaten path and not close to Vulcan at all. Another nice touch anyway.

Quote:
The phaser - red and green tips - in a way silly but in a way sensible from a weapons viewpoint - there is absolutely no doubt as to the weapon's condition!
Small Arms for Dummies!

Quote:
Closing theme - I 'bout nutted.
Another nice touch... the theme that is.

Quote:
The Spock/Uhura thing bugged me a bit.
Well, she sorta flirted with him in one of the old episodes...

" Vulcan HAS no moon, Ms. Uhura... "

" Why am I not surprised? "

Quote:
I like how Pike's Admiralty uniform looked a bit like the Admiral uniforms on TMP!

I like Pike.
Bruce Greenwood was well-cast. Hope they use him again next time around.

Quote:
Though he ended up in the wheelchair, I'm glad Pike didn't get fucked up like he did in that damnable Class J Freighter (You know - the ones with the Capissen 38 Warp Drive?)

Damn good casting:

It would be pretty cool to see Pike as a functioning character rather than a Delta-radiation burned husk he wound up as in the original timeline.

What I really enjoyed was how they worked the Kobayashi Maru into the film... and how Kirk reprogrammed the simulator... and taking the test while eating an apple. Nice tie-in with Wrath of Khan!

The scene where he provokes Spock is evocative of 'This Side of Paradise';

Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
What I really enjoyed was how they worked the Kobayashi Maru into the film... and how Kirk reprogrammed the simulator... and taking the test while eating an apple. Nice tie-in with Wrath of Khan!

The scene where he provokes Spock is evocative of 'This Side of Paradise';

Proof that 'they' actually gave a shit about the fans!

I'm about 75% sure on the eel terminology - I'll know more for sure after my next viewing

Quote:
What he said about divorce taking everything but his bones. Yep, brother... been there, done that. Sharing a drink with Kirk... classic character interaction right there.
It was Real.

The way Uhura looked after Spock after his mom died - Mrs. Cat has treated me the same way after I've gone thru very bad things.

Quote:
Mark Lenard is sorely missed. Would have loved to have seen him in this film. RIP, Mr. Lenard.
True. Very true. Mr. Lenard's Sarek - never be topped. And the beautiful thing is, it doesn't have to be a competition

Quote:
Karl Urban IS Bones now. Loved the running gag of him hypo-spraying the shit out of Kirk... a real pain in the neck!
DAMMIT! THTOP IT!!!!!!!!

Well.... it simply isn't possible to have more of our beloved TOS created with the same actors and everything.

But By Damn we have more TREK!

There was a maybe five year old boy in the seat next to me, and he was laughing and cheering and watching..... and having his mom show him the right way of doing the Vulcan Salute. She and I shared a knowing smile - there was another newly-minted TREKKER!

Nope, any Whiskey Bravos I hear poo-pooing the movie for stupid shit like the nacelle struts are the wrong angle or Quinto didn't raise his eyebrow at precisely the same time that Nimoy would have, etc. will find me a very hostile audience.

If you don't like it, that's fine... don't be a WB about it!

This movie represented two possible futures.

It could have been the final shovelful of dirt in a practically-dead franchise

or

It could have been that franchise's rebirth.

I would have laid money on the former. I would have been wrong
Old 05-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Goldmember

Yes... I'd say this film was just the 'shot in the neck' that Trek needed. :P
Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Goldmember

^ That's it right there. Although I found myself laughing alone on a couple of things.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Goldmember

" Are you out of your Vulcan mind? "

Urban did just great. That's when I knew Bones was Back!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Goldmember

Loved the throw-away lines with Simon Pegg as Scotty about transwarp beaming and 'Admiral Archer's prized beagle' .

Say what you will about Enterprise... I loved that show. And I'm glad that the movie gave a nod to it in an off-handed way. Loved Pegg's Scotty AND sidekick. He's the 'Let's go see' Scotty from 'Wolf in the Fold'!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Goldmember

Biggest spoiler of all: Kirk nails The Green Chick (tm).
Old 05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Goldmember

Oh yeah... Nokia survives into the 23rd Century as a corporate entity. The Corvette had a Nokia phone, etc... integrated into the dash.

Come to think of it... maybe Jimmy Boy was living with older brother Sam or an uncle or something. It wasn't clear in the film... or I just missed it somehow.

Considering how much trouble Kirk had in the original series either nearly being run over by cars or not being able to drive stick... the Corvette scene was interesting!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 PM
It's gonna get real now.

NOTE - I'm not for the idea of remaking TOS episodes...

But....

Kirk vs Gorn?

Mudd? Mudd's women? All of Mudd's androids?

Errand of Mercy?