Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Zephyr - My Timeslip Ringship Build

LOL @ Mike! Yeah, wouldn't that be kewel! It'd also drive me frakking insane!

I like both suggestions made thus far. dbhs' suggestion that I make some sort of jig and use that to cut out my masking tape is pretty kewel and I think would work pretty well - provided I make good, clean cuts on the masking paper. That would be somewhat feasible for me, tho, as I have plenty fo Tamiya masking tape.

Cylon75 suggestion appeals to me a bit more, tho - hand-paint the grid detail using a fine brush and the base coat paint sprayed in to a cap. I actually kind of like this suggestion a bit more than even the masking tape as I've usually got a pretty steady hand - and almost no patience for masking tape at this moment.

I'll prolly end up re-painting the main hull, tho, as I don't like the current color. It looks a bit too "tan" a shade of grey for my tastes. I'm thinking that I'll go w/the same color I used on my Fantastic Plastic Defender - Tamiay AS-7, USAAF Neutral Gray.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/Griffworks/Battlestar%20Galactica/Ringship%20Zephyr/Zephyr08.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/Griffworks/Battlestar%20Galactica/Ringship%20Zephyr/Zephyr09.jpg

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zephyr08.jpg (109.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Zephyr09.jpg (106.1 KB, 38 views)

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!

Last edited by Griffworks; 11-23-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:58 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All

One option would be to make the masks exactly the right size for the openings. If the openings vary you can do it with just 2 masks per opening as Iíve show in the sketch. With the geometry of the torus the inner windows will probably be smaller than the outer windows so youíll need a different size for each.

Iíd cut the masking tape lengthwise to the width you want for the windows. (Cut them a little more than half if you do 2 per window). Lay them out on your cutting surface side by side aligned to a metal straight edge. Mark the dimensions of the width of the window on the tape or on the straight edge. Use a triangle (or new piece of styrene can work too) to cut them into squares.

The set up for this will take a little while but once you get started youíll be able to cut out hundreds of masks all the same size. Maybe start out with just 3 or 4 strips of tape to get a feel for it. The hardest part will probably be getting all the strips of tape to lay down exactly side by side.

The upper part of this sketch is the application on the model. The lower part is the set up for cutting the masks.

I hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mask.jpg (106.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All

Great Idea. It's not enough to be in a freaking space ship - gotta have the roller coaster too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Nice job so far Griff. Hey, you could always build a Vegas-style theme park in there for something different. Y'know, working roller coasters and flashing lights?

Mike
Old 11-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Battlestar Triton

Oooh! Yeah, I get that and think it will help!

Thanks a ton, Doug!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Small but perfectly formed are words that spring to mind...about the model anyways
Nicely done thus far Jeff, continue sah!
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?

Last edited by Raytheon; 11-24-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Battlestar Triton

Thanks, Ian. I think....

My build will be somewhat stalled due to the Holiday weekend. I'm also not sure when I'll finish the model, as Lou/Aztek Dummy is going to make up some window masks for the habitat ring. I'm sending him some rubbings of the windows themselves, as well as counting up all the windows of each size and taking some more detailed pics of my models ring to email to him for further reference. He'll make these available for sale at some point in the future, as well.

So, thanks be to Lou!

In the mean time, I'll do some masking on the main hull when I get the chance and paint my blue stripes. Now I just gotta see if we can get JT Graphics or someone else to do up a set of decals for the Ringship and we're all set!

Last edited by Griffworks; 11-25-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:54 AM

Crash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to behold

Hey Griff, looking good along side the BSG... I'm going have to stop reading this thread or I'll end up buying one too
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 AM
detail junkie

Andrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to behold

The new series sure has some nice designs, the Ringship among them.

Like the work you're doing here, can't wait to see her done.

Be sure to visit our facebook site at:
https://www.facebook.com/gluesbrothers/?ref=bookmarks
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Crash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to beholdCrash&Bern is a splendid one to behold

Hey Griff, how's it going? You been fiddling with the ring or what??? (Sorry I can't help myself!)
Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Battlestar Triton

Instigator!

I've done some painting on the main hull. Masked off some areas and hand-painted some of the detail striping. Not done much since Saturday, tho, as I started working to finish up a couple of other RTF members at the same time. Family time has taken away from my modeling time, as it usually does during the week - and not that I'm complaining.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
Instigator!

Hey you started it by building a Ringship Anyway so long as the Probeship doesn't dock with it I think we'll be ok???

I've done some painting on the main hull. Masked off some areas and hand-painted some of the detail striping. Not done much since Saturday, tho, as I started working to finish up a couple of other RTF members at the same time. Family time has taken away from my modeling time, as it usually does during the week - and not that I'm complaining.

Good to hear it's still moving forward... looking forward to more pics as it comes along
Old 12-11-2009, 09:39 PM
El Guapo

I'm looking forward to seeing how your masks work out.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Battlestar Triton

Wow, where does the time fly?!?

Thanks for the interest, fellas.

Haven't done a lot of work on this, but have gotten some masking and painting done for the stripes on the main hull. I've been doing work on other models while the paint cures on Zephyr, most of those other BSG models have had a base coat for some time, but no detail painting.
I've also been spending a lot of time w/my family, so have only been getting maybe four or five hours during the week to get some modeling work done. Hope to do a lot this weekend!

BTW, Lou/Aztec Dummy has been notified of my playing around w/the PDF file he created for me. I cut out seven or eight of the "masks" from the sheet of paper. They all fit pretty well, so it appears that the issue I had w/the larger window mask being too large was likely an error on my part combined w/the fact that these don't exactly lay down well, being paper and all. Once I took a couple and crumpled them up a bit, they would lay down quite well w/in the window spaces.

So, there you go. I'm sure Lou is quite busy w/filling orders for various retailers for the Christmas Holidays so understand if this isn't going to be something he revisits until after the Holidays. In the meantime, I'll see if I can't finish up the main hull this weekend.

Last edited by Griffworks; 12-12-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Battlestar Triton

Dredging yet another long-forgotten thread to the surface....

Here are pics of my Timeslip Creations Ringship/Space park Zephyr. One of the more easily recognizable members of the RTF, IMNSHO. These pics were taken this afternoon, tho the work shown here since the last showing of pics was done almost two years ago now.

Starboard view, showing where I painted some of the "pinstriping" on the forward hull. You can also make out some of that painted on other areas, as well.

Showing the work done on the aft section for the "pinstriping".

You can also see the masking that was done - and is still there! - on the windows.

That's all I've got for now. Most of my old paints look to still be viable, thus far in my investigations. Hoping to sepnd the time to finish it tonight. I've got a lot of other stuff going on in the Meat World, so have only taken about a hour or so each day over the last couple of days getting this stuff looked at. I still need to finish cleaning off the last of the stuff from my workbench, as well as clean my display shelves!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zephyr10.JPG (194.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Zephyr11.JPG (146.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Griffworks; 03-20-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

I like to see resurrected modeling threads come back - and I like the Zephyrtoo!

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...