Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Thanks for the suggestions and info, fellas! I'll definitely have to make a point of going and picking up a compressor today, then. I've had my eye on one that has a fairly decent sized tank, tho I finally got my old, crappy Badger compressor I bought several years ago running by "jiggling" one of the seals. It's loud as crap, tho and has no tank, so is kind of a pain to deal with and I've not tried any airbrushing with it other than running some acrylic paint thru it back during the summer.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but I've never used an airbrush to do a wash before. Just mixed it up in a bowl, set the bowl under the model and then used an eyedropper or pipette to dispense the wash.

Anyhow, thanks again! I appreciate the assistance!

BTW, did some hand painting on these over the last two days. I'm about to go thru my decal stash to see what I've got in the way of general decals I can use on both the Flattop and the MiniModelMadness Colonial Movers models. The CM just doesn't look right w/o the containers having some sort of markings on them. Pics to follow later today or tonight.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!

Last edited by Griffworks; 01-04-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Excellent! I know that I am looking forward to viewing more of this line-up! A GREAT idea Griff!... Impressive!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Banned

modman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati God

great work. ive never seen some of those ships. any chance we can get some close ups. keep the updates coming.

AL
Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Battlestar Triton

Thanks fellas!

<Original Link Removed THANKS TO AOL!!!> Not a whole lot to look at really and I'm about a day behind on those pics, but hopefully I'll have at least a couple of these finished by tomorrow late afternoon.

Al - more than half of them aren't BSG ships with five of them being my own kit/scratchbashes. Also, of which particular models would you like to see closeup pics? Just LMK and I'll be happy to take the best that I can.

BTW, I relented on the color of my Rising Star and went w/the Tamiya Luftwaffe Light Blue. Looks a lot better now. I also came upon some really nice pics of the original studio model that give some interesting color variations on the hull that I'd never seen before. Guess I need to break out the masking tape and airbrush....

EDIT: I'm editing to include the text and pics from my now defunct website thanks to AOL's dropping their support of images and webpages.

The BSG projects continue! I've done some painting over the last four or five days, tho not nearly as much as I'd like. Hard to do when you've got a 19 month-old running all over the place. Plus, as fun as working on models is, he's a lot more fun to play with.

OK, I've gotten a bit more work done than I'll be showing in these pics. I took several of them yesterday and the day before and have gotten more work done since. Part of the hang up today has been in finishing a new addition to my Kitbashed RTF - a water reclamation/distillation ship.

First up is the Mini Model Madness Colonial Movers kit. It's not the greatest of kits, but at least gives a pretty decent representation of the subject and is likely fairly close to-scale w/the Revell-Monogram battlestar kit. My crappy paint-job in these pics doesn't really help to make it look that much better, either

Anyhow, it represents the Colonial Movers from TOS/TNS BSG alright, but requires at least a bit of touching up to get it looking better. Personally, I can't wait for the Timeslip Creations Colonial Movers model to be released. When that happens if this one doesn't get scrapped, it'll wind up at the very, very back end of the RTF.

I brushed this model by hand, as you can tell from the crappy paint job. I've since cleaned this up a bit and gave three of the containers a second coat of paint. I purchased several sets of aircraft markings in various scales, along with a generic white letters decal set so I can put markings on these containers as the MMM kit has no decals. I also played around w/drybrushing a bit to give it some weathering that way. More to come on this, obviously.

I brushed this model by hand, as you can tell from the crappy paint job. I've since cleaned this up a bit and gave three of the containers a second coat of paint. I purchased several sets of aircraft markings in various scales, along with a generic white letters decal set so I can put markings on these containers as the MMM kit has no decals. I also played around w/drybrushing a bit to give it some weathering that way. More to come on this, obviously.

BTW, a little birdy told me that the Timeslip Creations Gemini Freighter will be shipped to him and hopefully available for purchase by the end of the week of January 15th.

Comparison View of the Alliance Models and MiniModelMadness Kit sizes.

Above is a comparison shot of the Alliance Models Colonial Movers kit. It's way too big to be to-scale w/the Revell-ogram battlestar kit, as you can see. That is, of course, if you accept the 277m length for the CM given by the folks at Zoic Studios.

Next up are pics of the two MiniModelMadness Cylon Tankers that I've purchased. I have no clue whether this is an accurately scaled representation, but I can tell you from my own researches that this model - like the Colonial Movers above - is a representation in name only of the Cylon Tanker from TOS BSG. For starters, it's too long, having way too many "hangars" for the Cylon Raiders to dock. I cut out rougly one inch from the middle section. I then somewhat hollowed out the engines, applied putty to some of the voids/air bubbles on the surface and then applied putty over a large area of the surface of the "hangar doors". It appears that wooden dowels were used for the main hull of this kit and the wood grain shows.

Comparison view to show the difference in length.

Anyhow, it cleans up fairly decently. As you can see, it'll never be 100% perfect, but doesn't look nearly as bad with a little lovin' to take away some of the blemishes

Next up is my ARVEY Model Products Mineral Ship. It's built straight from the box, no modifications. It's a pretty nice kit, tho has one major flaw - the weight of the engine section is just enough that it causes a sag of the central spine section. I've heated it once in hot water, straightening it after a minute or so in the near-boiling water, and then dipping it in room temperature water to try and keep the shape correctly. As you can see, however, that didn't quite work. I'm not really happy w/the paint job, so am considering stripping the paint and starting over - literally.

Port side View.

I used a couple of light coats of Rustoleum's Flat White enamel paint, not trying to get a solid, purty color, but attempting to achieve a somewhat beat up, faded look. I'm hand painting the detail on this one with Testors acrylic Zinc Chromate - a color I also used on one of the containers on the aforementioned MMM Colonial Movers. From my notes gathered by bugging the heck out of Lee Stringer, formerly of Zoic Studios who did supervising work on the first season of TNS BSG - there were originally two Mineral Ships made for the RTF. One was a yellow/gold color and the other a light shade of blue. I was shooting for this one to be the yellow/gold one, but am not really happy w/how this one turned out.

Overhead View.

It still needs more detail painting, but I did the same drybrushing on this one to give me an idea of how it'll look. It at least has a slightly more weathered look than the light coats of the flat white gave it. It looks like crap (the paint job), but not total poo at least. I'm thinkin' I still need to hit it with a wash of some sort after I'm finished w/the detail painting. I'll likely end up repainting this one using Tamiya TS-46, Light Sand. It'll be a bit darker overall, but I think it'll have the effect I want.

Or I might just say "ta heck with it!" and just purchase two more Mineral Ships - one more from ARVEY Models Products and one from Timeslip Creations. Regardless, this is a beautifully detailed kit and I highly recommend it if you're looking to fill out your RTF.

Outboard View.

This is what I'm calling my Tauran registered Tylium Tanker, one of the two that were originally Bandai's Starblazers/Space Cruiser Yamato models. I have no clue which of the ships it is in the lineup, but it's one of the two which pretty much screamed "Tanker!" at me when I looked it. Funny thing is that I originally bought several different of these Bandai kits w/an eye towards parting them out for my 1/2500 scale Star Trek kits.

Stern Dorsal View View.

I used more of the engines from Chief 400/Bart's engines he made for the scratchbuilt Daedalus-class battlecruiser from "Stargate:SG-1". I also added a piece of strip styrene to the aft section to make it more "smooth" and then added some greeblie from my spares box. I'm going to build a piece of superstructure for the upper aft section so that she's got an immediately identifiable bridge area. Guess we'll see how well that turns out....

Now we're up to what I'm calling the Water Recycling Ship. The main hull of this was some resin bit that I picked up from another of the ResinDrops from either a past WonderFest or LesterFest'06. I think it was an engine on some sort of long extension. The front section was effectively "broken off", so I flattened it out, then "rounded" off the forward ends a bit.

Port Outboard View.

The forward "command section" is a bit off of a 1/72 VF-1D Valkyrie conversion kit from C.E.D. that I purchased from the Starship Modeler Store a while back. I drilled in to the main hull section, then the command section and put a snipped section of a wire coat hanger about 1/32" long in to secure the two parts together. I thought this piece might be "routine detachable" so that the main hull could be left at a site in an asteroid belt or on a comet and the main command section could rove around for whatever reason. Nothing that immediately comes to mind and I thought it sounded good. I never said it made sense.

Head-On.

These blue bits... I have no clue what the frak they're from. Heck, I don't even remember where I got them from for sure! I'm calling them chemical - or maybe water? - tanks. I think I might have gotten them from VA Miniatures in one of the box of resin bits I occasionally buy from him. Regardless the source, they're now tanks and are on both upper side surfaces, as well as a smaller set on the bottom hull.

Outboard View.

The engine exhaust piece is a resin bit from the TechMages pile of greeblies. I think it's from a Hot Wheels car or something similar. I might be wrong, tho. I've got some other pieces I tried that sort of fit in there, but I prefered the look of this one over the others. [NOTE: I've since changed the engine to something different]

Stern Dorsal View View.

The final pieces on the dorsal surface are from two different locations. The forward piece is what I'm calling the landing bay/docking port. I plan to put a piece of corrugated Evergreen stock - or something similar - over the opening so that you won't see any detail. I figure it's just barely large enough for a standard Colonial shuttle to fit in to with room to move crates and small handeling equipment around, as required.

Those two pieces towards the aft area are from my TechMages greeblie stash. I have no clue what they go to, but I figure them for some sort of engine spaces or maybe fuel cells? Doesn't really matter, I mostly just needed something to balance that section out a bit better and those fit nicely to my personal sense of aesthetics.

And that's it for now. I hope you've enjoyed these pics of my RTF ships. More to come within the next weeks. [Obviously that was an inaccurate statement....]

[More of these updates as time and inclination allow]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMM-CM01.jpg (57.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg MMM-CM02.jpg (43.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg CM-Compare.jpg (61.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg CylonTankers01.jpg (85.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Mining01.jpg (70.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Mining02.jpg (99.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg TauranTanker01.jpg (86.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg TauranTanker02.jpg (61.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Water01.jpg (45.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Water02.jpg (40.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Water03.jpg (43.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Water04.jpg (90.7 KB, 77 views)

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!

Last edited by Griffworks; 11-09-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:02 AM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Richard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of All

Griff,

very nice work man they will make a great diorama

Richard
Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Battlestar Triton

Thanks, Richard. That's my plan, at least! Might even try and make it a full-flegded dio to include base and background.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 PM

superjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant futuresuperjedi has a brilliant future

Very cool group of ships. Is that an Event Horizon in there, too? I never even knew there was a model of that ship.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Richard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of All

Event Horizon was an A list Ship in a C list movie loved the design and execution of the effects but the story kinda sucked.

Richard
Old 01-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Peagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of All

Very cool Griff!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Battlestar Triton

Upate! I added six more pics of two ships. I've not made a LOT of progress in the area of finishing any models - the Flattop is pretty much done, tho! - and I'm actually about 7 to 10 days behind on editing my in-progress pics, as well.

However, I'm making lots of progress on construction of some new ships, as well as adding detail to others. I really need to get out of the very bad habit of starting new projects while finishing a whole host of others. I work in an assembly line mentality, tho, picking up another model as glue, putty, primer or paint dries and moving on to another project. Just gotta stop starting something new....

This not being online nearly as much is great! I mean, besides seemingly conquering my OCD where keeping the computer logged on to DaNet while working on models and being tempted to hit REFRESH about every ten minutes or so is concerned. Keeping my 'puter offline, tho, removes said temptation to the point of I'm off that particular bad habit. Plus, I'm much happier listening to music than nothing but the sounds of AOL telling me someone else has signed on or signed off of AIM....

Anyhow, here you go - January '08 update. As always, constructive criticism greatly appreciated.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Battlestar Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjedi View Post
Very cool group of ships. Is that an Event Horizon in there, too? I never even knew there was a model of that ship.
Thanks.

Yessir, it is Event Horizon - sorta. As I say in the accompanying text, it's from MiniModelMadness. It's not a bad kit, only about 6 3/4" long. I can definitely recommend it if you're a fan of the design. Plus, it's the only kit of the ship of which I'm aware.

Oh, and at 1/4100 scale, a real "Event Horizon" would measure out to 702.94m long. Geeky, I know, but I dig stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_2001 View Post
Event Horizon was an A list Ship in a C list movie loved the design and execution of the effects but the story kinda sucked.
I actually kinda like the story, but look at it as more of a Horror Movie than a SciFi flick. To me, it's more of a B-Movie than a C-Movie. Love the SFX.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Glad to see you back on again Griff.

I look forward to viewing this awesome fleet further.

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Battlestar Triton

Thanks, Kurt. Did a LOT of painting on the Mining Ship and a few others last night after posting the above. Will try to have several models finished over the next couple of days and pics posted by this coming weekend. Hardest part for me so far on the painting - besides that I'm having to hand-brush most of the details at this size/scale - is picking colors for the ships themselves. I don't want them all to be shades of gray, all black & white or circus colors. Trying to find a good balance on stuff.

'Course, now that I think on it some more, the dullcoat will bring down any colors a bit so that they're not quite so bright... Duh.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Battlestar Triton

I'll figure something out on the colors. Thanks for the suggestions. I think that either RTF would be beat up, especially after a year or more of traveling from one galaxy to another - as was done in TOS. The TNS RTF would just look a little like blackened chicken, or catfish. You know, done up Cajun style.

Also, thanks for the link. Already had it and "harvested" - to use the negative connotation that so many of the "old timers" who "collect" BSG images like to use - images from the site. Some of the best stuff out there can be found if you're diligent enough.

Anyhow, got even further along last night and finished construction on another new addition to my RTF, as well as more detailing painting was accomplished, tho mostly on the Paint Whore known as the Mining Ship. That danged thing wants all of the attention it can get where paint is concerned and takes up a lot of time - even at this small scale!

Regardless, I'm havin' a ball with it all.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Jeff,

I had a few thoughts - Bare Metal Foil makes Goldchrome as well as Chome foil.

you might try that for some parts to set off your gold painted ship like panels maybe

and maybe one that is a planetary lander powdered up with burnt umber and red chalks like it came from a mars type planet a lot...

maybe one that is different shades of the metalizer paints

and there is always HIVIS orange

Richard
<!-- / message -->