Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Military Models

Military Models Finished Military Models

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God
Default Old Stuff: USS Nimitz in display case

Well, this one is still a WIP. Which I started in 1999... Which means that the REAL USS Nimitz took less time to build. This is a common 1:720 Italeri/Testors kit. It started out as the John C. Stennis because I wanted the more modern sponsons, radars, etc. as I'm building this to represent CVN-68 as I served on her in '93. I have a lot to add to it, like rigging, fittings, jacks and all the other stuff she should have.

This one will stay fresh and new, like a builder's model. I'm also doing one of IKE, but that one will be waterline, underway, with an airwing and dirty with rust and jet exhaust as she appeared when I was deployed on her in '90.

The display case I built myself from scratch and the clock above it is an old Seth Thomas case from the 1940s that I got cheap and put a Navy Bell movement in. I added the brass anchors and printed the new dial up myself, using the original Seth Thomas dial as a template.

Last edited by R L Bleecker; 10-04-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

^ Thanks...

Someday if I ever get to it!

I had more fun building the case. Carpentry is my first love in a craft/art sense.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:35 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Thumbs up

That's very nice OOT. Just for my own benefit, do you have any problem with dust getting in? Is there some sort of fan to help with that? Is there lighting? Cheers
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
That's very nice OOT. Just for my own benefit, do you have any problem with dust getting in? Is there some sort of fan to help with that? Is there lighting? Cheers
Nah. It's nothing fancy like that. Dust doesn't get in and there's no fan. It's just simple plexiglass ( perspex to you guys ) and wood.

And it's not very big; only about 20" by 7" but 8".
Old 06-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

modman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati God

Looks great. thats just be fore the fly in. right. at least put the crane up there. you going to have some yellow gear on there to. for a realistic look.

Al
Old 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Goldmember

^ Thanks.

Like I said; there's still more to add. Not sure about the Tilly or any other gear. I'm doing this one as a static builder's model... which means just the ship itself as it would appear in a lobby of some office at Newport News or something.

IKE, though, will have ALL gear and CAG 7 aboard and will be underway in a resin sea.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

modman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
^
IKE, though, will have ALL gear and CAG 7 aboard and will be underway in a resin sea.
whats the hold up, cant wait to see the resin sea.

AL
Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Goldmember

Hold up?

Too many projects actual and pending for other folks and too little time/inclination to do this for myself. I can't do this 24/7! Wish I could...
Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
Hold up?

Too many projects actual and pending for other folks and too little time/inclination to do this for myself. I can't do this 24/7! Wish I could...
was only kidding.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

I like it! One day I promised myself I'd sit down and do one too. I love Aircraft Carriers.

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

Nice work, double-oh-T! I like those Nimitz's! I have the same scale, along with 1/700 airwing, that I haven't gotten to yet. I'd like to build the THEODORE ROOSEVELT.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by modman06 View Post
was only kidding.
Sorry. Rough day.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
I like it! One day I promised myself I'd sit down and do one too. I love Aircraft Carriers.
And they're not bad kits. You can do a lot with them. Overall they're pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB43MAN View Post
Nice work, double-oh-T! I like those Nimitz's! I have the same scale, along with 1/700 airwing, that I haven't gotten to yet. I'd like to build the THEODORE ROOSEVELT.
Thanks!

You can use any of the ships from the Teddy herself on up through the Washington ( CVNs 71-73 )... Reagan and Bush are too different to convert easily to make the TR subclass. And the Stennis and Truman have the bulbous bow below the waterline, as do 76 and 77.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned Aide

Mr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant future

OOT - Have you had a chance to see the PBS program Carrier ?

It is a 10-part series that follows members of the crew of the USS Nimitz on their day-to-day duties during a six-month deployment. Here's a link - it is available on DVD as well:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/

Nice modelwork BTW.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Goldmember

^ Haven't seen it yet...

But then again; I used to live that life myself. Of course, back in those days, we didn't have women aboard. They were still ashore or on non-combatants like supply ships.

Thanks for the words and the link!