Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM

silveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to behold
Default Jan Ruckr's ALIENS APC M-557

It has been a while since I posted a build thread here. This model is made from cardstock, but it can easily be done in resin and sheet styrene. Even though I make my models out of cardstock/paper, I laminate my paper to simulate sheet styrene and treat my parts like if they were plastic.

I have been tossing this one around for a while and after seeing Skoda build his over at Zealot, I decided to throw my hat in the ring as well. The model can be found over at the ALIENS paper craft site. http://aliens.humlak.cz/ When you get to the main site, it will be on the right side. You will have to play with site a little but it is there. When you download the plans, it will be about 1/48th scale. Go to your printers property and change the orientation to landscape. The model will now be about 1/35th scale. It will be large enough for the details and the tabs will be easier to control at this size. This is the beginning and I have about 80 photos to edit and the build is not half done yet. The teaser is, I am surprised as to how it is coming out. I use almost all of the printed plans but there is an abundance of scratch built material to play around with. And lastly, thanks Rukr for the design, I will try to do justice to your creation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (51.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (46.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (59.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (54.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (78.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (44.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (44.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 AM

silveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to beholdsilveroxide is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jan Ruckr's ALIENS APC M-557

Here is where the scratch build takes place. There are two sheet plans for the floor templates and for instruments and signs The engine panels are a bit too dark in one page. I increased the clarity for them on the other page but the floor grates came out too light. The tabs in the wheel well are not visible from the inside and this will help in the detailing of the interior later on. The back walls of the wheel wells are the throw away parts rescued and placed as the backing for the wells. the dark panels are glued over the tabs and they will not be visible from the out side. I am using Jans plans but there will be an abundance of scratch build in this model. Enjoy and see you all next posting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (58.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (70.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (60.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (67.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (62.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (60.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (56.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (46.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg apc instruments.jpg (114.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg gratings.jpg (65.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Here are a couple of teasers as to where I am at on the build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 072.JPG (150.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 073.JPG (163.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

THAT is looking quite interesting!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
THAT is looking quite interesting!
Thanks for looking in Cat. What is good about these plans, is that they can transfer over to styrene. Now the interior will be all scratch. I have looked at the prop and the real thing. There is no way that this could be a working vehicle if the troop compartment is layed out the way it is. There is no room for the engine, power transfer unit or transmission to be a viable operational unit, but it just look real good.

More scratch built stuff. most of the caution labels have been redone and look much better now. the steering wheel is glued to the bottom of the console ledge. The troop chairs and the operations console officers station will be a bit more different than the drivers seat. Enjoy and see you all soon with more updates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (53.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (46.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (53.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (52.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (38.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (41.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (47.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (63.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 025.jpg (56.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 03:53 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

A full interior too!?

This is getting better,and better.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-boater View Post
A full interior too!?

This is getting better,and better.
Thanks for looking in. here are a couple of teaser photos to show where I am at at the moment. the photos in between have to be edited before upload, but I will get to them in between building and waiting for the glue to set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 072.JPG (150.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 073.JPG (163.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Here is the next batch of photos. The drivers door is constructed and it will open and close. It also allows a view into the inside drivers cabin that cannot be seen when the top is removed. I find that making the door this way, is easier than folding those teenie thin tabs. The last photo is of schematics that I use for the instrumentation, displays and warnings. Print the instrumentation page on lanscape for this model and in portrait for Jans original version. Enjoy and see you all next posting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 026.jpg (44.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (38.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 028.jpg (43.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 029.jpg (34.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (42.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 031.jpg (56.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 032.jpg (40.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 033.jpg (36.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 034.jpg (32.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg apc instruments.jpg (228.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

I was wondering how you got the driver's compartment door to open.

Fabulous work Ag2O !

Keep going with it.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-boater View Post
I was wondering how you got the driver's compartment door to open.

Fabulous work Ag2O !

Keep going with it.
That part of the build process is yet to come but it has been finished and the hinges do work. If I were to make it out of styrene, I would have made the hinges out of brass but this paper version really does work. See you all soon with more updates.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Very nice, damn it has an interior too! Hell, I built one at 1/16-ish and couldn't do an.interior!

Mike
Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

this is looking unreal! I had the shitty Halcyon one and thought briefly about scratching an interior for it, but I couldn't be arsed. Now I'm thinking I could do the card-model way like you and just drop it inside (?)

It's amazing how good some of the card models are these days. There is one card modeller at my club and she does some fantastic stuff - although she is more into old school Gothic and historical buildings, and the odd four rigged sailing ships - complete with sails.

Just out of interest, what kind of printer do you use? Laser or other? Which brand have you found has the highest print quality?

thanks

MH
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Very nice, damn it has an interior too! Hell, I built one at 1/16-ish and couldn't do an.interior!

Mike
I have been planning this build for a long time but other models got in the way. I saw someone build the interior and it induce me to create one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
this is looking unreal! I had the shitty Halcyon one and thought briefly about scratching an interior for it, but I couldn't be arsed. Now I'm thinking I could do the card-model way like you and just drop it inside (?)

It's amazing how good some of the card models are these days. There is one card modeller at my club and she does some fantastic stuff - although she is more into old school Gothic and historical buildings, and the odd four rigged sailing ships - complete with sails.

Just out of interest, what kind of printer do you use? Laser or other? Which brand have you found has the highest print quality?

thanks

MH

As mentioned in the beginning, these plans of the main body, allow for internal illumination and the plans can be transferred over sheets of styrene. Thanks for looking in and I am glad that this build thread will entice you as well into building one too.

Here I deviated from Jan's plans, in that the sloped sides are scratch built. I made a laminated rib support for the sides and for the mechanical panels. The skinning panels are made from cardstock laminated 2X. This gives the model a very sturdy construction on par with a plastic model. Enjoy and see you all soon with more updates. BTW the main console is finished and it looks great. I am working on a slide mechanism for the console operators chair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 035.jpg (51.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 036.jpg (42.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 037.jpg (45.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 038.jpg (43.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 039.jpg (50.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 040.jpg (48.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 041.jpg (62.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 042.jpg (36.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 043.jpg (26.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 044.jpg (59.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 AM

And now, on with some more updates, the next posting will cover the front drivers door, but until then, here are some panelings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 045.jpg (38.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 046.jpg (53.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 048.jpg (59.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 049.jpg (39.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 051.jpg (38.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 052.jpg (42.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 053.jpg (53.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 054.jpg (48.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post

thanks

MH

Sorry about not answering your query. I just got me another printer for the price of an HP ink refill, a Canon pixmar with scanner. If I had a choice, I would get an Epson printer.

More updates and the one that some of you have been wondering about. For the door, I used 120lb cardstock for the flat part of the hinge. I was going to make them out of brass but decided to try it out of paper. Be sure to cut the slots out first, before cutting the side panel out. It will give you some surface to work with and make sure that you do not cut all the way through to the edge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 055.jpg (45.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 056.jpg (47.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 057.jpg (37.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 058.jpg (41.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 059.jpg (54.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 060.jpg (47.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 061.jpg (45.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 062.jpg (37.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 063.jpg (41.6 KB, 9 views)