Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Hyperdrive Ring for Hasbro Jedi Starfighter(Episode II)

Barry, I was wondering where you'd gotten off to, just the other night! Glad you are back!

You may want to try glucosamine with MSM. It really helps my knees and back. Also, you may see your doc, and make sure you don't have gout setting into your hand. It can pop up there, as well as in your feet.

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 AM

bar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sam. I am sure he will be on top of it already.

And an update.
I masked off the ring and painted on the yellow panels on the ring and the fighter.
All that remains is to mask off the exhaust cones(Fighter AND ring) to paint them gunmetal, and to paint the main ring intakes black.
After those, a very small amount of weathering on the leading edges.
Then the entire build will be complete. That will all happen tomorrow as i couldn't mask over fresh paint that i applied today.
It's tipping the scales at just over 4 kilos right now due to the extremely heavy engines which are solid resin.
But as you can see from the first couple of images, the entire thing is perfectly balanced and weighted to be stable enough to stand just on the ring itself, with or without the fighter in there
Let me know if you want a stand made Drew, as that will not be a problem.
Otherwise, if you just want it to stand free, i recommend adding little soft foam pads on the bottom where the ring will contact any surface you put it on, to protect both the ring AND the surface. And i can do that also

Here are pics for you to enjoy Drew! I hope it's to your liking.
I'd like to know what you think of it.

Come gather round people, wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown, and accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone. If your time to you is worth saving, then you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone, cause the times they are a changin'
e-mail(And msn Messenger): vipermark7@googlemail.com
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

No stand required since it will stand on its own ring ()

Looks great to me, but if anyone else can add their own recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Masterful work young Bar!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Looking great Bar. I think it needs maybe a small stand, just to elevate it above the shelf a little, but that's just me.

Any chance of the ring deforming under it's own weight over time? In that case I'd add a support rod to a stand under each engine, maybe clear rod or similar.

Mike
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM

bar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
No stand required since it will stand on its own ring ()

Looks great to me, but if anyone else can add their own recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Masterful work young Bar!
Thanks.
I am glad you like it. With a wind behind me, i should be finished tomorrow.
Just the gunmetal and slight weathering needing done.
Watch this space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Looking great Bar. I think it needs maybe a small stand, just to elevate it above the shelf a little, but that's just me.

Any chance of the ring deforming under it's own weight over time? In that case I'd add a support rod to a stand under each engine, maybe clear rod or similar.

Mike
Thanks Mike.
It's difficult to explain but even though it's very heavy, the structure is quite sound.
Each engine assembly weighs over 1.2 kilos(Cast in three parts as per the images above).
The sled that attaches to the fighter was made with MDF but has a chopped up steel ruler in it so it is impossible for the sled part to break apart under normal loads. The sled is securely glued in place to the engine assemblies.
Then the ring top and bottom are secured to the engines and the shoulder supports were added to tie the engines to the rings.
It all adds up to an item with great load bearing properties and, although very heavy, is also very stable. It can be lifted by the top of the ring, under the sled, by the bottom of the ring or by the engines and there's not a lot of structural movment.
There is a tiny amount of compression of the bottom of the ring when it gets laid down, but it only flattens a tiny amount. The ring parts were cut from templates of 2mm styrene, and a second layer was glued on after they were pressed into the curve, so there's plastic-welded strength in the ring.
I've made a lot of models but i am loving the design of this one right now.
Should be a final update tomorrow before it gets boxed up for transit.
Come gather round people, wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown, and accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone. If your time to you is worth saving, then you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone, cause the times they are a changin'
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM

Okay.
Major pic dump today.
Gunmetal engine accents all done(On both ring and fighter), and the side vents/grills are painted also.
I added some tasteful weathering. Nothing too extravagant. Nice and restrained.
I am going to call this one complete unless you have any more you want added, Drew.
Let me know what you think.
I am really hoping that(Other than the backdrop of my crummy workbench), it looks like it just leapt right out of the movie.
I'd like to give the paint at least 24 hours before attempting to get it wrapped up for transit so it properly cures.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

I'm happy for you to let it dry longer - I'm in no rush for it. (I've had problems with stuff being shipped that want dried yet, so I'm a bit gun shy! )
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
I'm happy for you to let it dry longer - I'm in no rush for it. (I've had problems with stuff being shipped that want dried yet, so I'm a bit gun shy! )
That is not a problem.
But it should be as cured as it will ever be by tomorrow or friday.
I'm going to see about taking some better pics at work today.
Watch this space.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM

Okay, i had some Iron Man figures and a GI Joe gal in the storeroom and took pics of them on the ring for scale:

Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God

Looks kick ass man.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 PM

Thank you Sean!