Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 08-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-200: Twin-gunned German Mega-Tank

When life gives you lemons make lemonade. And by lemonade I mean an E-200 stuG!

It hit me over the weekend. Why trash the busted hull when you can rebuild it into something else...like a tank destroyer or mortar?

I know, a box. Not very exciting but there is some potential here - I'm thinking Loki and yes, that is a Kugelblitz turret.

As far as the original E-200 goes; the new E-100s are heading over from China and I have ordered the 3cm flak gun. I have not had any update regarding my new cupola - I'll have to check into that.

Meanwhile, I will be practicing creating zimmerit and weld seams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E200_stuG.jpg (2.35 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by The Mad Klingon; 08-08-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Well.... Hell!

I like what you're doing with it- a SuperStuG is a great idea.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Well.... Hell!

I like what you're doing with it- a SuperStuG is a great idea.
Thanks Cat. The new hull is a scaled up Sturmtiger superstructure, one of my favorites tank designs.

Last edited by The Mad Klingon; 08-09-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

Thought I would share this simple technique to create realistic weld seams.

Following the directions in the link, I created a tool from a blunt hypodermic needle and with Aves Apoxie Sculpt produced some rather snazzy weld seams. There are similar techniques that use the tip of a #11 blade but the U-shaped tool really sets this technique apart by simulated the beads of a weld rather than just hash marks. Probably would work with cement-softened styrene rod too.

Here is a detailed explanation and a couple pics..

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?...tid=220&page=2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weld_tool.jpg (352.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Aves_Weld.jpg (335.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-11-2011, 03:14 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

This is very cool. this could go in the "tips" section too.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Woah! What fat monster! Great work so far!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Klingon View Post
Thought I would share this simple technique to create realistic weld seams.
Verra cool! When I built my big APC I asked around for ideas on doing this, but drew a blank. In the end I decided that the futuristic vehicle would be laser/chemically/organically bonded together, so ditched the weld idea. BUT, that's a great tip for a future build for sure!

Thanks Mr. Mad.

Mike
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

The weld beads do look good. I'll have to give it a whirl. I noticed the mention of the SturmTiger-I've
been toying with the idea of building my Dragon 1/72 Maus and swapping out the 128/75mm combo
for the 380 mm rocket gun from the Trumpeter SturmMorser...one of these days.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

[Dutch] Do it! Do it now! [/Dutch]
Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

A wee bit of progress.

I assembled all 24 road wheels and half of the springs. The wheel assembly went smooth with just injector pin marks to fill. The springs are a pain, a seams runs down either side of the coils.

Oh, and I also added the bump of the Kugelblitz turret or should I say cupola?. It's constructed from balsa and Aves.

The rough edges of the armor were created with a Dremel and small engraving bit. The area was masked with label tape to protect the surrounding plastic. The edges are exaggerated but I like it. However, if it looks funny after a primer coat I will soften them up with a little thinned putty.

The welds are complete. I used a scribing tool and a straight edge to create grooves for the putty to follow. Some welds look better than others. Again, I will decide if any sections need to be replaced after the primer is down.

Until I decide what kind of gun the super stuG will carry I am hesitant to add any hatches. I don't want to tear open my Loki kit just for the gun, too many kits have been sacrificed already so I'm leaning toward a scaled up scratch built Sturmtiger-like rocket launcher.

E-200 Maus update: Still waiting on my replacement E-100s from China but I expect them here any day. After a friendly email reminder my super-detailed cupola showed up. The original plastic version will be removed and replaced with the resin one. The original will find a new home on the super stuG.

I have lots to share but don't want to blow my whole wad up front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welds and wheels.jpg (380.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg armor_edges.jpg (290.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg welds.jpg (297.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

If you're still undecided about armament, here's another notion-really, really high velocity...

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/e...gun/index.html

I remember reading about it years ago, but this is the first place I've seen drawings.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

Made some progress with the Kugelblitz.

A 2 1/4" circle of material was first removed with a hole saw. There was a scare when the saw stuck and the Stug began to spin widely for a couple of seconds but luckily and to my surprise, nothing broke.

In order for the ball to rotate, the ring it sits in from the original Panzer kit was removed and cut to size. With a drill bit and a chisel blade I rabbited the edge of the opening. Cleaned it up and glued the ring in place. The ball now slips into place and freely rotates. When I get closer to the end the turret's housing will be permanently attached and secure the ball.

I would like to replace the kit's 3cm AA guns with brass ones but the only guy that produces them is Schatton Modellbau out of Germany. And he is a pain to deal with. A nice guy with great stuff but his web site is limited, no shopping cart, no Paypal and it's only in German. To order anything you have to email the man. A real pain. But, he may be my only option.

E-200 Maus Update: The replacement E-100 arrived and I have removed the original Panther cupola from the Maus turret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kugel_Opening.jpg (405.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Kugel_Installed.jpg (436.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Kugel_Rotated.jpg (443.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Drang nach Osten, baby-lookin' good.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

Just wait and see the dio I have in mind.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

Did some drawings of the new main gun. Almost as an afterthought I also created a "triple gun". Instead of throwing a single 72cm shell, how about 3 standard shells in rapid succession? Both may be too big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38cm_Drawing.jpg (93.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 38cm_Drawing_Guns.jpg (139.0 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by The Mad Klingon; 09-05-2011 at 08:16 PM.