Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-27-2007, 07:58 AM

Skupilkinson New face in the crowd
Default 3' long Olympic Carrier Papermodel

Hi guys,

I wanted to have a thread here showing my latest build. It's a card model of the Olympic Carrier from the new BSG series, episode titled "33". This is a render of the mesh used to create the model.

There are 5 variants of this design in the series and all of them will be covered. This is a publicity shot released by ZOIC who created the CG model for the show. This is the Gemon Liner:

I'm part of a group at Cardmodels.net who are working on releasing more models from the BSG series. Most of the models we've done so far are smaller then this carrier. Ranging in lengths from 9" to 18".

I've always loved the Olympic Carrier though so I asked for one to be done at 3' long!! I scratchbuilt one last year, but never completed it before I sold it to a friend. That scratchbuild was also 3' long.

On to the pics of my progress so far:

This is a beta version but it's going really well so far. Only things needed fixing were the lack of some glue tabs but that's easily fixable. I'll be back at it later so I'll post my updates then.

Please, I welcome your comments which ever side of the fence they are.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 AM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Welcome from me too Skupilkinson,

I love paper models, and I've never had the opportunity to say thanks to all the paper creators out there who do fantastic work and share it freely for all of us to learn and enjoy.

I think this is looking great and it certianly seems structuraly well planned and sufficient to take the shapes it requires.

The construction pictures or the angles you are showing seem like its just a tad off the more thinner streamlined shape of the initial renders. But that's not a gripe by any means, just my only observation at this point.

Looks like its going to work out and it's one hell of an effort.
Great job sir, and I can't wait to see more.

Good progress to you and thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

This is a very kewl idea!

I don't think I have ever seen this type of artistry done in this scale before.

Very nice!

I look forward to seeing it completed!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks guys.

Rider, Ithink it's just the angles I've photographed it at. That and the fact that the tail end hasn't been completed yet so you're not seeing the full hull. Maybe?

The render of the Olympic Carrier mesh is the same mesh that was used to creat the papermodel patterns that I'm building so the dimensions should be the same.

I've never built a papermodel this big before. I always thought the bigger you build a papermodel, the more it looks like one. On this model you can see the white seams in the joints. These will be coloured later to disguise them. The textures are fantastic so that helps too, it shouldn't look too flat.

BTW, The original meshes we use for these BSG papermodels are all created by a guy I only know as Coxxon. Credit for the textures goes to him also. All we're doing is cleaning up the mesh, tweaking them a bit and unfolding the meshes to create the papermodels. Without Coxxon and his efforts, these models probably wouldn't exist.

The guys in this team creating the BSG papermodels are SJSquirrel, and Nothing, and myself. We're all members of Cardmodels.net. The models when completed are actually available there to download for free. You have to be a member though to gain access to the models in the download section. Go have a look.

This Carrier is just a testbuild at the moment and isn't available just yet. Sorry.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:18 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skupilkinson
Rider, Ithink it's just the angles I've photographed it at. That and the fact that the tail end hasn't been completed yet so you're not seeing the full hull. Maybe?
I think that's very likely
Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Bringing good things to life

ShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond reputeShowCraft has a reputation beyond repute

Cool subject for the model. That teardrop shaped hull is definitely not easy to pull off in paper. Its looking great.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks very much. I'm working on it now, should have some nice pics of a complete hull later on. Hopefully!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

This is wonderful, it's hard to believe that's a paper model!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks Rel,

Coming from you, that's a big compliment. I love your work, I watched in awe as you scratchbuilt the 650 scale 1701-E. Loving what I've seen of the 1701-D too.

Thanks for the praise buddy.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:11 PM

Almost there now! Last section to do and we have a hull people!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 PM

Got it done. One hull/fuselage complete. I also got that intake done but I'll attach it tomorrow. It's starting to look like something now.

Once the intake is on, it's on to the engines. There are 8 of them in total I think. Most differ from the next one, then the tail fins and we're about done!

Later.