Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Dana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of light
Default Casting a studio scale K'tinga in epoxy fiberglass

Hi everyone! This is going to be a multi part video showing the complete casting of a fiberglass model in a silicone mold, then I'm going to show how I cast the resin parts so when I'm done there will be a complete kit ready to build.

Thank you for watching and please comment!!

Last edited by Dana Long; 08-10-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Casting a studio scale K'tinga in epoxy fiberglass

Great stuff. I just wish i could afford this beast of a kit. I have loved this design since i saw TMP as a kid...
Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

When's the next video going to be posted?

This is interesting.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Dana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of lightDana Long is a glorious beacon of light

I should have a new one up every day, the next step is to lay the fabric in the mold.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Looking forward to this.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Void where permitted

modelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of All

Nice work.

Say, a few questions for ya'....

Why Silicone instead of the much less expensive low durometer urethanes ?
Do you ever have issues with micro bubbles in your skin coat ?

What brand/type/speed of epoxy are you using ?

Thanks for posting the video for the community....it's folks like you ( who don't mind sharing info ) that make this hobby so bloody interesting !
Always something new to learn and try.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Hi modelnuts,

I don't know anything about the other stuff you mentioned, I've just always used silicone. I used to have problems with tiny bubbles in the skin coat until I started using cabosil, that makes it stick to the mold better.

I'm using the epoxy from US Composites, it's the same as the West Systems stuff but less expensive.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 AM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to see more. Ive never tried to work with epoxy and fiberglass but it looks like a fun to work with it and to save a lot of weight. Thanks for showing Dana.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Void where permitted

modelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of All

Ahh...thanks for the answers !

If you don't mind, I'd like to meet up at Jerseyfest and talk some shop...I have some nifty tricks that you might like to try.

ie..Lower cost mold materials...how to get rid of micro bubbles quick and easy..using a safer/faster alternative to epoxy...stuff like that.

Last edited by modelnutz; 08-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM

That would be great. Of course it will be hard to talk me away from epoxy, the other types of fiberglass I've tried have too much shrinkage where the epoxy doesn't, but I'm open to any new ideas. Anyways, a new video coming up tonight.

Last edited by Dana Long; 08-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 PM

Here's part 2!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned Aide

Mr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant future

Great instructional video - thanks for posting !

Looks like you have used a hard shell backing for your silicone mold - that might be another good one to cover - my guess is that the technique would be quite similar (and not as fussy for the finish).

I haven't tried making fibreglass or composite parts before. but did pickup a good resource book a while back. The book is:

Composite Materials - Fabrication Handbook #1
by John Wanberg - Wolfgang Publications
ISBN 1-929133-76-6

Reading about the subject is one thing, having access to a video of someone actually doing this work is another. As Yogi Bera once said "You can Observe a lot by Watching"
Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 PM

Mr. Wabac

That's a mother mold, it's made from the polyester resin that you can buy just about anywhere, and instead of fabric I used fiberglass matting. It's way stinky stuff, I hate the fumes.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 PM

By the way I didn't do any work on this today, I'll do more tomorrow.