Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM

Savion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of light
Default 1/72 "Final Frontier" Shuttle`

The latest project I find myself doing is one of these little (even in 1/72) shuttles. Actually, it should be two; however one of them has decided to remain hidden from wherever I packed it from my last move (I hate moving, especially when models in all their various states of completion are involved).

No pics yet, but both are resin models from Gryphon Miniatures that I got in the '90s. The Final Frontier shuttle (I've usually seen this one given the designation of "Type V" so I will use that designation from now on for ease of description) is a simple kit, consisting of 5 parts; upper/lower shuttle body, rear bulkhead, 2 nacelles.

It's a decent little kit, and even though I think it could be lacking in some details, overall it's a good representation of this type of shuttle. The kit rounds out with a 2-sided instruction sheet; one for actual construction, the other side is a technical schematic that appears to be done in Jackill's style. There are no decals of markings included with this model; the instructions note that including them was 'deemed inappropriate due to licensing concerns' - and this is the main reason why I never completed either one of these models.

Recently, while I have been participating in a fanfic writing sim set in the year 2300, the ship central to this story made use of her Type V shuttles; one of which I was writing a sub-story for. I found that the shuttle rather grew on me; when Final Frontier came out, I recognized the lineage and homage of this shuttle to the original TOS Galileo; however, I never really warmed up to it. That all changed with as the story progressed and I was finally inspired to look for and return to the models, even though I can only find one of them for now.

The model is easy enough to assemble. I found that the rear bulkhead was difficult to match up to the body of the shuttle and some filing and filling is needed to fair it in. The engines will need to be pinned; something I haven't done to either shuttle as of yet, but soon. It will be ready to head for priming/painting soon.

This brings me to the matter of the decals.... there are none, as I mentioned earlier. I was intending to raid my sheets of generic decals for numbers and the hull flashing/Starfleet arrowhead, leaving only the shuttle's name in script to be dealt with.

I found I was unable to find a font online that matched the script for the Galileo, so I turned to my document program. After some experimenting, I discovered that Open Office has a font called "Freestyle" which looks.... close enough. I typed out and printed the names of four of the known names of the ship's six shuttles. I'm going to have to do some additional experimentation to find a way to print out the names in the proper size (from 40 point to I think 10 point).

In the meantime, I'll add pictures of the shuttle and scans of the names as soon as I can get them, sometime during the weekend.

EDIT: Added pictures of the model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1424.JPG (95.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1429.JPG (115.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1452.JPG (80.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1454.JPG (45.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Savion; 06-15-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Savion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of lightSavion is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1/72 "Final Frontier" Shuttle`

Picture added: Image of the shuttle names in Freestyle script.

Shuttle model pics still to come.

EDIT: Model pics added to above post.

Additional in-progress pics in due course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scripts_cropped.jpg (122.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Savion; 06-15-2013 at 09:46 PM.