Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 03-01-2013, 07:01 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default 1/32 Tamiya P-51D Mustang

I’m FINALLY getting started on that P-51. I wish I could have done so earlier, but I’m glad I waited because there are some great aftermarket goodies out there for it….. all of which are on order

For the cockpit – a company named barracudacals makes replacement parts that look absolutely incredible. The kit parts are nice….but these? Holy moly!

Sidewalls Set – for some reason it includes the perforated carb intakes that you see on the bottom front sides of the nose: http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32012&cat=27

Instrument panel. The instruments will look a lot more to-scale in depth than the kit parts, plus all the little handles, like for the fuel tank selector, fuel cut-off, and hydraulics are separate parts! http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32013&cat=27

The radio and battery behind the cockpit are very visible items under that big bubble canopy, so extra attention needs to be given to them. Also, the kit gunsight and stick need replacing: http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32014&cat=27

If you look at a real P-51 cockpit, and then look at the Tamiya cockpit built out-of-the-box, there’s still something missing but you can’t quite put your finger on it. THIS is what it’s missing – all the placards and stenciling. Barracuda has a decal sheet for this – over a hundred decals, most of which are legible! Click on http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BC32010&cat=27

Click on this link for pics of a real cockpit and you’ll see what I’m talking about: http://barracudacals.com/images/instructions/BC32010instructions.jpg

My Mustang will be carrying a pair of those 108-gallon ‘paper’ drop tanks. The kit tanks look nice – in the middle – but the fronts and backs are missing the corrugated texture that the real tanks had. It’s one of those details that once you notice it, you cannot un-notice it: http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32016&cat=27

You can see the difference here: http://barracudacals.com/images/instructions/BC32016%20P-51Ddroptanks.pdf

The kit has real rubber tires. I think this is a neat gesture, but the tread isn’t 100% accurate, and the rubber will deteriorate over time, so the tires and wheels will get replaced. Eduard makes a line of wheel/tire sets that are incredible – right down to the Goodyear logos! http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Brassin/Aircraft/1-32/P-51-wheels-1-32.html

Seat belts get replaced too….. with real cloth belts that actually operate! http://s1088.beta.photobucket.com/user/Osprey_Modelling_Blog/media/Weekly%20Modeling%20News/11%2010%2011/Hgw1320321-1.jpg.html

The rest of the plane is wonderful – aside from a few lines that need to be run, the engine compartment is fine.

There are two 32nd builds that I’ve got going on right now that I’m going to enjoy like big steak dinners…. This Mustang is one, and the other is a Ju 88 G-6 night fighter.

More soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blondie_beauty_pass-sm.jpg (68.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by The Cat; 03-07-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/32 Tamiya P-51D Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
There are two 32nd builds that I’ve got going on right now that I’m going to enjoy like big steak dinners….

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Are you fucking kidding me?

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Nope.

I thought the Eduard prepainted belts looked good, then I saw THESE things.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Dweeb in residence

rpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant future

Holy crap. Cat, you bastard. Now I have to find them.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauly View Post
Holy crap. Cat, you bastard. Now I have to find them.
They're like those Brassin wheels - they're going in all my builds.

Okay, I got a box of goodies in from Barracudacals, and have been looking them over.

The kit parts look great. If you build this kit up OOB, it'll be a fine-looking model. However, compare the kit parts with Barracudacal's replacements and the kit parts don't look so hot.

There are plenty of good pics of these products out there, but I thought I'd add a few of my own and compare a few of the kit parts with their resin replacements.

Parts from the Sidewall Set. These parts are straight out of the package - no trimming of any kind has been done. Note the very thin film of flash - it's supposed to be there:

Detail shot of the PE from that set. Note the two canopy rails on the left and the rudder pedals with the North American Aviation logos! Also, they snuck and added replacement perforated grilles for the carb air side intakes!

Comparison of the kit radio and stick with the resin replacements, along with a few other parts. Barracuda even provides a comprehensive wiring diagram for the radio and batteries (not shown):

If you look at a completed out-of-the-box cockpit, and compare it with pics of the real cockpit, there's something missing. All those labels, stencils, data plates, and instructions make a HUGE difference in the look of the front office. This decal sheet will keep me busy for a while:

Compare the stock 108-gal drop tanks with the upgrade parts. The corrugated texture is RIGHT, and the filler caps have been improved too:

After all this ordering, reading, studying, and thinking, I HAD TO GLUE SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ao, I started with attaching the tail sections to the main fuselage halves. Guys have had trouble with the seam between the two (black arrow). So, after some thought, I sliced about a millimeter off the back inner flange of the main fuselage halves, and ovalled out the locating pin's hole. (green arrows)

I got a gap that I like:

I'm loving this kit!

Last edited by The Cat; 03-05-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 AM

youngtiger1 has a spectacular aura aboutyoungtiger1 has a spectacular aura aboutyoungtiger1 has a spectacular aura aboutyoungtiger1 has a spectacular aura aboutyoungtiger1 has a spectacular aura about

Its always nice to see another Stang...but brother you got to pick larger size of fonts, especially in your 1st post. It's so small it making my eyes water just trying to read all that...

Mike
Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtiger1 View Post
Its always nice to see another Stang...but brother you got to pick larger size of fonts, especially in your 1st post. It's so small it making my eyes water just trying to read all that...

Mike
I changed it around a little - you were RIGHT - what a wall of text! Sorry about that!

I just got the Eduard PE for the engine and exterior. I wanted to avoid the engine set, but the kicker on it was the oil tank straps. After I convinced myself that I needed them, I found it much easier to justify all the other parts that came with it.

Pics soon - I'm ALMOST ready to get started painting on the interior.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM

KUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to all

COOOOOOOOL !!!