Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 07-05-2013, 04:25 AM

Dobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1/350 TOS Production Enterprise

Your builds are always incredible! I wish I had even a tenth of your skill! Bravo and keep the updates comming.

Chris
Old 07-05-2013, 07:04 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

This looks great so far! Looking forward to more....
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Update...
Sorry for the delays in posting any progress updates. I got sidetracked last weekend working on installing a neighbor's kitchen faucet and dealing with the plumbing problems that ensued so haven't spent as much time as I might on this build. Here are some of the latest developments...
After masking the windows and lights on the secondary hull and priming with Duplicolor I noticed the seams needed a little more attention so there followed a few more rounds of puttying and sanding until I got them where I liked them:

IMG_4622 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_4623 by trekriffic, on Flickr
You can see the shuttle bay doors in their closed configuration in the these pics. I made the center section removeable. The fit is so precise that the doors stay in place with just a friction fit and with the lights on there are no light leaks between the cracks. I probably spent 4-5 hours altogether just working on the doors to get them right.
For the neck I had previously sprayed it with my custom "concrete" base color. Then I went back and sprayed the leading edge with MM Hellblau:

IMG_4627 by trekriffic, on Flickr
Hellblau is an interesting color. It's kind of a blue-green gray which leads me to believe that's why some folks think it's greenish and some think it's bluish; actually it's both!
The neck was glued to the secondary hull. The seam was filled with AVES Apoxy Sculpt:

IMG_4628 by trekriffic, on Flickr
The AVES went on so smoothly that I shouldn't need to do any sanding at all but I'll probably give it a once over with 600 grit just in case.
Next, I came up with an idea for the impusle engines involving this cheap Dollar Tree push light:

IMG_4655 by trekriffic, on Flickr

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM
The Moonlight Gambler

PerfesserCoffee will become famous soon enoughPerfesserCoffee will become famous soon enough

Looks great so far! Excellent work!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Thanks Perfesser!

More stuff to do with the impulse engines...

I'm pretty old school when it comes to the original series Enterprise so at first I thought I'd just leave the impulse engines dark. But then I got to thinking how neat they looked lit up in the remastered episodes so... I came up with an idea for having it both ways.

First thing was to cannibalize the push light. In addition to 3 LEDs the light also had a pushbutton switch inside. A little desoldering freed it from the circuit board:

IMG_4630 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The switch was wired up with the "N" wiring harness and connected to an LED for testing with power from the PC board. It worked quite well:

IMG_4633 by trekriffic, on Flickr

A shaft was cut from Evergreen rod with a black tip cut from some scrap kit window smoked plastic to fit in the hole between the vents. It was then glued with epoxy to the switch button:

IMG_4637 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The switch was the perfect size to fit inside the back of the impulse deck directly behind the hole in the center between the exhaust vents which I drilled out. I also cut new clear plastic for the exhaust vents as the original kit part had gotten scratched and clouded while I mucked about positioning the switch:

IMG_4642 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The switch was glued in with CA and the new vent covers were glued in with Krystal Klear. The kit impulse vent decals were also applied from the inside:

IMG_4644 by trekriffic, on Flickr

A light box was constructed for each vent with an amber LED glued to the back wall. The LEDs were also painted with Tamiya transparent orange acylic. The insides of the boxes were painted black except for the rear wall which was covered in reflective foil:

IMG_4645 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Here are the impulse engines in their dark mode more like what we saw in the original episodes:

IMG_4652 by trekriffic, on Flickr

And here thay are with the pushbutton switch pushed in and lit up like the remastered episodes:

IMG_4650 by trekriffic, on Flickr

I was able to spread out the light using a few layers of .030 styrene sheet pressed in just behind the clear vent covers. The styrene sheet came with a semi-opaque protective film on both sides to prevent scratching; I left the film in place and it did a great job as a diffuser.

The impulse engines were then glued into the lower saucer hull:

IMG_4653 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The next thing I need to figure out is if I want to do something similar with the nacelle screens or just leave them dark. It might be possible to have a pushbutton in each warp engine, perhaps accessible through a small hole in the recessed ring just in front of the endcaps. I'd need to remove some of the foam tubing to wire up the SMD LEDs though.

Decisions.... decisions...

Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM
One-trek Mind

Update for this morning...

Last night I glued the lower saucer to the neck. Will need to fill the joint gap with AVES next:

IMG_4673 by trekriffic, on Flickr

I also sprayed the upper saucer with another shot of the custom hull color. This morning I wet sanded with sanding films before giving it the third and last coat of paint:

IMG_4665 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The rust ring is sufficiently muted now I think.
If I had to I could go back and rub in some Tamiya rust pastel chalks which I might do when I add the weathering streaks using the gunmetal chalk.
Oh, and the gridlines are veeeery subtle too.

Last edited by Trekriffic; 07-12-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:26 PM
One-trek Mind

Update for today...

Today was airbrush Saturday with temops around 80 degrees and low humidity.

Nacelles...
These were actually airbrushed yesterday. They are about 95% dry but still just a little bit sticky. I almost had a heart attack Friday evening when one of them took a header off my workbench. I'd stood them straight up on end to dry and after about a half hour I closed the garage door. That caused enough vibration to cause one nacelle to take a swan dive headfirst making a half rotation before bouncing off the cement floor. All I could do was stand transfixed from about 10 feet away with my mouth agape.
I imagined it landing on the bussard dome and cracking. Fortunately it landed on the open end where I will eventually attach the endcap; then it bounced up at an angle and hit the side of my workbench before landing flat on the floor. Heart in my throat I picked it up by the masked over bussard and the pylon wiring and inspected the damage. Thankfully I had just swept the floor so there wasn't any dust or debris to stick to the paint.
There was a tiny smudge on one flux constrictor at the front and one on the rear. It was dry enough that I was able to smooth over the divots with a moistened fingertip; I'll still need to touch it up with a little more hull color but it could have been so much worse.
Removing the tape from the dome showed no damage. I hooked up the power and the motor and lights operated fine.
Maybe it was dumb luck or maybe the modelling gods took pity on me; whatever it was, I had just escaped disaster.
After that I got smart and leaned them against my hanging drawer cabinet to finish drying:

IMG_4679 by trekriffic, on Flickr
Nacelle trench screens were sprayed with Tamiya Bare Metal Silver:

IMG_4684 by trekriffic, on Flickr

End caps, Impulse engine accelerator, Trench insert, and Pylon screens were sprayed with MM Medium Gray mixed with a little Voodoo Gray to lighten it up a little. I'd already gone with a lighter hull color than the kit recommends so I needed to lighten up the acccent color too or the contrast would be too much for my taste:

IMG_4685 by trekriffic, on Flickr
The Bridge/B-C deck module was sprayed hull color:

IMG_4682 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The reactor control loops were sprayed hull color followed by a brushing of Voodoo Gray at the ends of the loops. I'll probably go back with the airbrush and recoat the Voodoo Gray. I also need to mask the intercoolers on top of the nacelles and paint the ends with the same color.

IMG_4686 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The secondary hull was sprayed with hull color. I also sprayed the joints between the secondary hull and neck and between the neck and the lower saucer. I masked the leading edge with it's Hellblau color first though:

IMG_4681 by trekriffic, on Flickr

That's it for now. It will probably take a few days to finish drying enough for me to do the next thing which is to attach the upper saucer and bridge module to the lower saucer. Then I'll be ready to attach the nacelles.

Tomorrow I plan to spend some time working on the base wiring and paint.

Thanks for reading.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 AM
One-trek Mind

Glued the upper saucer to the lower today at lunch using Testors cement. Clamped up to dry:

IMG_4710 by trekriffic, on Flickr

After an hour clamps were removed and I found some areas on the rim where the Testors cement didn't hold. I was afraid of this as by the time I finished coating the mating surfaces some of the glue had partially dried. I used Ambroid ProWeld liquid cement to seal the breaches injecting it between the saucer halves using a disposable hypodermic syringe my father-in-law had given me. It did the trick. Then I clamped it up and left to dry again:

IMG_4713 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

That is SUCH a good idea about the impulse switch!!!!!!!!!!!

I am DEFINITELY going to use that! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 PM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
That is SUCH a good idea about the impulse switch!!!!!!!!!!!

I am DEFINITELY going to use that! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
One thing I forgot to mention about the impulse engine switch concerns the short Evergreen rod with the black tip that I glued to the blue pushbutton. This is the rod that you push using a toothpick from the outside to operate the switch. I cut a matching length of evergreen tubing that the rod slides into. The tubing is glued to the backside of the kit part in line with the hole between the vents. It's inserted thru a hole drilled into a small square of styrene sheet glued to the back of the impusle deck between the clear engine vent covers. This acts as an anchor plate for the tubing. The switch itself is anchored to the kit part with two rectangles of styrene glued to its sides that are glued to the edges of the piece that anchors the tube.
The tube keeps the rod from sliding out of the hole between the vents and going sideways when you push on it.
The length of the tube should match the distance between the back of the kit part and the front of the blue button when it's in it's extended position.
The rod that atttaches to the blue button should be a little shorter so it stays recessed in the hole when viewed from outside. When depressed, a little of the rod will project out the back of the tube (the same distance as the blue button retracts to when depressed by the rod) but most of its length will still be inside the tubing.

Last edited by Trekriffic; 07-17-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
One-trek Mind

Lunchtime progress...

The wires to the nacelles were trimmed, soldered, and sealed with heatshrink. Then I glued the nacelles to the pylons and set upside on a selection of mostly Star Trek (original series) books and TV Guides to dry per the kit instructions:

IMG_4718 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_4719 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Last edited by Trekriffic; 07-18-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
One-trek Mind

Playing around with the base some more...

In an homage to the original filming stand...

Original Filming Stand by trekriffic, on Flickr

... and in an effort to increase strength and rigidity I cut some aluminum tubes and epoxied them to the base of the stand for some additional bracing:

IMG_4723 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Test with the model mounted to the stand. Ah yes, the perfect balance point just like the original:

IMG_4724 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Now I have to decide if I should paint the support tube with it's new bracing black like I had originally intended or a shade of blue like the filming stand. I've already decided to paint the base of the stand and it's framing silver. There will be some black showing thru inside the frames on the front and back sides and the top to simulate open space around the light panel decals from the refit kit.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM
One-trek Mind

Slow progress..

I modified the stand by adding a thick rubber washer with a thinner nylon washer underneath it to top of the neck right up against the bottom of the hull. I glued them in place using Devcon 5-minute epoxy and they are sure on there for good. The model doesn't rock back and forth so much now on the narrow neck:

IMG_4741 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The base after I removed the masking tape and retouched some of the
black areas with a brush. I sprayed with Testors Gloss Black and for brushing I decanted it from the spray can. I had no significant bleed under the tape
onto the stainless steel areas luckily.

IMG_4742 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Finally finished touching up the saucer rim:

IMG_4744 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Look Spock! No seams!

IMG_4745 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_4746 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The stand was re-masked and the display tube and legs were airbrushed with Testors Dark Blue enamel:

IMG_4748 by trekriffic, on Flickr

More later!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 PM
One-trek Mind

So with the stand having dried overnight I spent my lunch hour soldering the wires leading up the neck to the Enterprise's lights and motors. I still need to finish wiring up the spotlights on each corner of the stand but couldn't resist posting a few pics of the ship on the stand with lights on.

The stand has two lit rocker switches and one other non-lit switch in the center for the spots. The switch on the left is for lights, the one on the right is for the motors. Everything runs off a 2 amp power adapter so there's plenty of juice.

IMG_4771 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The impulse engines in their original series mode:

IMG_4758 by trekriffic, on Flickr

And lit up like the remastered version:

IMG_4757 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The Enterprise with lights on. Still have a lot to do of course:

IMG_4752 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_4764 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Thanks for any comments!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I LOVE those lights.

I have a couple wquestions for you - first, the nacelle pylons - how strong are they? Do you think the engines are likely to sag over time? Also, what do you think of the stand attachment point, structure-wise?