Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God
Default Studio Scale TOS Base Star commission build

Hi all,

It's been a while. I hope you're all well.

This is the commission build thread for the studio scale cylon base star replica.

It was mapped out in Rhino - the starting point were the 2 pics of the inner pie from the Prop Store auction a few years ago. It took 4 months of work to get a 2D render. From there, it became a 3D model which was backed-up with measurements taken from the actual part, which I wish I had first.

Anyway, now that the prototype is done, this one should come together pretty quickly.

Ask any questions right in the thread or PM me, let's just be nice about it.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inner pie 2D.jpg (656.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg BS full 4.jpg (312.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg picture 014.jpg (139.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg picture 015.jpg (143.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg picture 016.jpg (148.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg picture 017.jpg (147.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg picture 018.jpg (137.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg picture 010.jpg (130.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg picture 006.jpg (131.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg picture 007.jpg (147.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg inner pie 3D full.jpg (848.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BS build 152.jpg (147.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg BS build 207.jpg (147.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg BS build 199.jpg (141.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Studio Scale TOS Base Star commission build

As always, Sean, douchebaggery will get kicked downstairs

I for one am looking forward to watching this one come together.

Personal observance: those B-24 tails ALWAYS get my attention!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God

Douchebaggery. That's a word here. God I love this place.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

That's a rather polite word to describe RI behaviour, but we'll work with it.

Sean, this is a stunning build mate and I'm really happy to see it gracing the forum. It really has turned out incredibly well and it's obvious that it must have taken a lot of hours to construct and paint. It's not often that a major build like this pops up out of the blue, what a nice surprise. Spectacular work!

More pics when you are ready.

Mike

Oops, got in too early with my reply, I was referring to the first finished build. Looking forward to following this build! Say, do Cylon Circuitry happen to make landing lights for a Battlestar?

Last edited by LastBattlestar; 04-02-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Hi Mike, I can if you like. I have to do some anyway. Making 6 instead of 2 or 4 is nothing, really. I'll keep you in mind.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

This is gonna be great!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
Douchebaggery. That's a word here. God I love this place.
It's one step below cunty.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

I’m going to illustrate this build as if it were a kit build. Those of you who have purchased kits can follow along here, but it’s pretty much the same as shown on the PDF Instruction file you get with the kit. No douchebaggery, I don't want it to sound like it's instructions for idiots. If you’re building already, please chime in!

I’m going to start with the support post. If you start here, there will be less swearing and you’ll be happier later on.

Start by drilling 3 evenly spaced holes 20mm below the top rim. These will be for set screws – I used 10-24 x 3/8, with a 11/64 pilot.

There are male (pic 2, on the R) and female (on the L) speaker jack assemblies included with the kit. The metal part will be secured inside the central metal tube of the armature.

Feed the wire through the ABS cuff and place that in the top of the post. Solder the leads to the female ¼” speaker jack assembly. If you’re using Al/Cu wire, the Cu goes on the positive.

Take the positive jack, which is embedded in resin, insert it in the female jack and jam the whole thing so that the metal is flush.

Finish the pilot hole, tap it and place the set screws. I blobbed some thick CA on them before they were in.

Bond the acrylic disc to the ABS cuff and that’s it. I used thin weld-on. Your model will be able to rotate freely without tangling the wire! Oooooo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 069.jpg (152.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg picture.jpg (149.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg picture 070.jpg (152.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg picture 071.jpg (142.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg picture 072.jpg (153.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg picture 073.jpg (152.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg picture 074.jpg (147.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Nice.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Here's a little more pre-assembly, which will make life easier later on.

I masked and painted the “open” areas on each of the upper and lower cores. There are acrylic alignment rings that come with these sections – adding little nubbies when its inverted ensures proper placement when you’re sealing everything later on. These nubbies and the alignment rings also help make sure the main discs are on the central core at a perfect 90 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 059.jpg (134.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg picture 060.jpg (128.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg picture 061.jpg (149.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg picture 062.jpg (139.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

The main discs are held in place on the central metal/ABS core with ABS cuffs. There are 4 cuffs total, one on either side of each main disc. Proper placement of these things is critical.

I placed the core on a scrap piece of wood with a 2” hole drilled through it. The central core, an alignment ring then the lower core (with the 5 sprayed areas) is placed, then a main disc is put on top of that, with another alignment ring.

A cuff is forced down (it's pretty tight), then can be secured with thin weld-on. This is an “inner cuff.” ABS cement can also be used for this cuff, but placement can be really messy.

Repeat with the middle core, but you have to force it down with an alignment ring and main disc. Secure it with weld-on after you’ve removed it. It’s kinda mundane , but ends up being exact.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 047.jpg (138.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg picture 048.jpg (115.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg picture 049.jpg (156.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg picture 050.jpg (125.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg picture 051.jpg (146.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg picture 052.jpg (147.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg picture 053.jpg (146.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg picture 054.jpg (145.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg picture 056.jpg (151.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg picture 057.jpg (150.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Here, I lightly sanded the surface of the middle core, then traced out the areas covered by other parts, using the template (included with the kit). It has the location for the FO trunks. The outline represents the limit of greeblie placement.

So I added the greeblies, masked and painted, as well as sprayed the insides black, to prevent any light leaks (leaving a clean 3mm rim on the inside, for fusing of the alignment rings later on).

It's been pretty pedantic so far, but thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 072.jpg (158.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg picture 073.jpg (146.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg picture 074.jpg (154.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg picture 077.jpg (139.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Tonight's progress. Got the lower and middle cores on and the walls as well. The walls are laser cut with the FO holes to align with the casts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 078.jpg (125.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg picture 079.jpg (157.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg picture 080.jpg (143.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Awesome engineering Sean. It's great to see one of these being built for the first time. Keep it up!

Mike
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM
JAWS MODELS

JAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant futureJAWS MODELS has a brilliant future

Back with a vengeance!
The work is fantastic.
Glad to see you've been busy Sean!

http://studioscalemodelers.com/