Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: The Star Trek: Vanguard novel series thread

Oh yeah, his James Blish covers. Very cool.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Yeah - check out Star Trek 4:

http://arcass.deviantart.com/gallery...et=96#/d3j3lat

It has a scene from Journey To Babel. Note his take on the Orion ship! MUST. BE. KITTED!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Viper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud ofViper Aviator has much to be proud of

I agree, it is a really interesting ship. It reminds me of the "jellyfish" ship from the JJ Abrams Star Trek. Here is a better look at it http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uplo...r044orion2.jpg
Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

That is some fine stuff, alright. ( I'm going to have to go ahead and register ) Love the image of the D-7
approaching the planet-killer. And found this, which as some folks know, has a particular appeal...

http://arcass.deviantart.com/gallery...t=120#/d3icraj

Started Open Secrets this morning on the train...another nice nod to TOS continuity in the opening.

Last edited by Dr. Yo; 11-16-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Trapped in Club Vandersexxx

Godfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of AllGodfather Overlord Master of All

Dave, got the first 6 Vanguard books in electronic format and started reading the series per yer recommendation
Not a big fan of TOS but I'll give Vanguard it's day in court and report back.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Are they out of their gorram minds?!?

$25.19 for the paperback? $20 for the Kindle version?!?

Sheesh!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Frak that!

Meh... There were too many Trek books anyhow. While I was hating that we had to wait sometimes months for a new Trek novel back in the mid-80's, what we ended up with in the early part of this century was just crazy - and lots of felgercarb. I gave up on Trek novels, unless I heard from someone I knew and trusted that I just "had to buy this book!" or similar.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
It's gonna get real now.

I know what you mean!

Yeah, we've had the same experiences, Trek-book-wise. I started out on Mission To Horatius - the very first Trek novel ever, read all Blish's novelizations, and evert TOS-based book that came out till the late '90s. Like you said, lots of felgercarb. There were a few good ones too.

All the other stuff that started coming out - WAY too much to keep up with, so I stopped paying any attention to them. Plus, at the time I felt that pretty much any Kirk/Spock/McCoy story that could be told, had been told.

'Til one day in late 2005 when I was at Books A Million and picked up a copy of Harbinger on a lark and started reading it. I read the prologue, went up and bought a coffee, and read some more. Two lattes later, I had almost a fourth of the book read, so I went ahead and bought it, took it home, and started over. SLOWLY this time.

The Prologue starts off onboard Decker's Constellation. Let me tell you: David Mack knows how to write a damn Star Trek novel. If you're familiar with the characters, you don't simply read their dialogue....you hear it. Made me wish that Mr Mack had written a whole book based on Decker!

Somewhere on his site, Mr Mack mentions actors upon whom he based many of his characters. With those visuals in mind, it's like you're reading a movie.

If you really know your TOS, there are plenty - but not too many! - of easter eggs sprinkled throughout the series. It's very obvious that the authors paid very close attention to TOS.

My Miranda build was inspired by the first book. There is a workhorse of a ship that he said was a Miranda-class, and it got me to wondering what a TOS-era Miranda would look like. A little over seven years later....

There is a Loknar-class ship in a later novel, so the authors paid attention to the FASAverse too.

I just finished the last book in the series, and I have to say that it is some of the best - if not THE best - Trek of any sort that I have ever read.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Battlestar Triton

So, the Vanguard series is worth a read, then, eh? I had heard some good, but nothing from anyone I know who's opinions I trust. Might have to dig around and see if I can find some copies of the first book or three, then.

Thanks.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

I'll second that! The Vanguard series is the absolute best Trek I've ever read. I read them as they came out, and when I'd finish one, I had that "damn, I gotta wait how long for the next one?' feeling.

Another great series is the Destiny trilogy. Most of it occurs in the Next Gen timeframe, but some of it happens much, much earlier. It was a great read too.

Dave: I don't remember there being a Loknar anywhere in Vanguard. Can you remind this feeble old brain where that happened?

P.S.. Amanda Tapping was his model for the commanding officer of the Miranda-class USS Bombay!

Last edited by zysurge; 07-12-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Battlestar Triton

"Carter, C-4!"

Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

I really wish I would have saved all of the Captain's Log paperbacks I had as a kid. They may still be stashed in a box at my parents somewhere for all I know.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysurge View Post
Dave: I don't remember there being a Loknar anywhere in Vanguard. Can you remind this feeble old brain where that happened?

P.S.. Amanda Tapping was his model for the commanding officer of the Miranda-class USS Bombay!

USS Akheil - she was in Open Secrets, Precipice, and What Judgments Come.

Bombay. I loved that whole crew, and I could have stood to see them in action a lot more than they were. Also - Monica Bellucci as Oriana D'Amato!

I like Endeavour's crew too. Early on, he listed Catherine Bell as Captain Khatami.

That's another talent the authors in that series showed - each ship had a very well-developed, believable crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
I really wish I would have saved all of the Captain's Log paperbacks I had as a kid. They may still be stashed in a box at my parents somewhere for all I know.
There are a couple used book stores around here that have some of those books - if you want any of them, let me know
Old 07-20-2013, 01:45 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Awesome avatar, Eric the Dark!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Page 5 of Open Secrets -

Constitution-class Endeavour
Locknar (sic) class Akheil
Saladin-class destroyers Hannibal and Theseus
Miranda-class Buenos Aires