Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 AM

-Devil- is on a distinguished road
Default Seeking input on some WIP projects for my kids school

My boys AFROTC high school instructor asked me if i would do up a couple of models for the classroom. but they do not have any sort of budget so i will be building and donating them. (he found out from my boy that i like to build models and gave me a call to ask if i would)

i didn't know which forum would be appropriate for this question so if there is a better location would a mod please move it for me.

I am looking for which kits to pick up that represent the peices he would like, but not be real expensive. and also be 'simple' enough to hold up to occasional handeling ...

the Two main ones he would like is the

F-22 Raptor
A-10 Warthog

the others are the

F-4D
Apache

i haven't built up a plane in over 10 years so i am not to in touch with which ones are decent builds and which ones are not ... not looking for major detail, but correct in what detail it has is most important as most of the work will go into the paint and finish of it.

thanks for your time.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Seeking input on some WIP projects for my kids school

Only input I have is for the Warthog. These should be very easy to find and are most ubiquitous, (I think every major manufacturer has produced a kit of it).

Personally, I really liked Italeri's edition. Very nice plastic and should last most well to plenty handling.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:38 AM

Kolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to behold

Apache's are pretty common too. I know I've also seen (and built in years past) a few F4s. Whether the "D" variant is a common model now, I cannot say.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:31 PM

thanks for the info ... will prob pick up the A-10 on the way home from work while researching the F-22 a bit more ... i know they won't get handled a lot .. but he does pick em up on occasion when teaching which is the main reason i want them to hold up a bit ...
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

Not sure if there are concerns about budget, but if I were selecting models, I'd go with Academy's 1:48th scale Raptor. It's big and impressive when complete - great for a high-school classroom setting.

In complimentary scale, Revellogram's 1:48 scale Warthog would go nicely with it.

Hasegawa's F4's are nice in 1:48th scale too - if you went this route, and their 1:48 scale Apache is gorgeous.

Just my two farthings...

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 PM

budget wise, since it will be my personal money i would like to keep it under 50 or so for the model (each) if possible ... of course cheaper is better, but i want to know it is still durable enough to hold up to some handling as well since it will be in a classroom, and accurate enough that there will not be any big issues when the instructors are looking at them or using it in class (both are retired AF).

going to be checking at the local Hobby Lobby and HobbytownUSA tonight and tomorrow (along with the local Toys R Us for a chance at the toy one that can be detailed out a little bit more) ...

it mostly boils down to something i can do for my boys class and school ... and its the first time i have had someone actually ask me if i could build something for them ...

Last edited by -Devil-; 11-18-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

Out of all the subjects you want to build, the A-10 is probably the sturdiest of them all. Followed by the F4, and then the Apache. The Raptor's thin landing gear might be a concern if you build it gear down, because the plane is so big. Gear's up - no problemo.

Expense wise, the Academy Raptor and Hasegawa Apache are the most expensive - both can be had with a little shopping at or close to the $50 buck mark.

A Revellogram A-10 can be had from $18 to $25 bucks, and a Hasegawa F-4D would probably come in from $30 to $36 bucks. You might do better with a Revellogram F-4D, but I haven't seen one in some time. You might find a good deal on Evil Bay...

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
Out of all the subjects you want to build, the A-10 is probably the sturdiest of them all. Followed by the F4, and then the Apache. The Raptor's thin landing gear might be a concern if you build it gear down, because the plane is so big. Gear's up - no problemo.

Expense wise, the Academy Raptor and Hasegawa Apache are the most expensive - both can be had with a little shopping at or close to the $50 buck mark.

A Revellogram A-10 can be had from $18 to $25 bucks, and a Hasegawa F-4D would probably come in from $30 to $36 bucks. You might do better with a Revellogram F-4D, but I haven't seen one in some time. You might find a good deal on Evil Bay...
yeah i plan on building all of them with gear up for more durability i found an Academy Raptor last night at one of the LHS's and with a 40% coupon it was only 24$ ... they didnt have any A-10's in other then the small diecast or snap tite ones so going to check at the other shop on the way home today ... didn't see any F-4D's ... but a few different Apache's were there ... going to do two at a time so not looking hard at them yet less it is a good price.