Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 05-07-2009, 06:12 AM
"I'm just a head."

DaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant futureDaveP has a brilliant future
Default Re: How much money will the new Star Trek movie take in this weekend?

This morning's Columbus Dispatch gave it 3 1/2 out of 4:

"With Star Trek, director J.J. Abrams has boldly gone where George Lucas failed to go before: re-establishing a beloved space-based franchise with wit, intelligence, fun and excitement.

Imagine that.

From the kinetic opening frames to the whooshing final credits, Star Trek proves an astonishingly effective piece of pure popcorn entertainment.

Gone is the ponderous dialogue and smug self-worship that infected the film series in the late 1990s and early 2000s (sorry, Picard fans, but those missions were as engaging as a Vulcan symposium on warp drives).

Abrams and his crew, much like the interstellar peacekeepers at Starfleet, have successfully bridged the gap between watchdog fans and potential new recruits.

The result marks a return to the lively adventures of years past and -- Gene Roddenberry be praised -- pop-culture relevance."
Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

It's going to flop like a dead brain-cell creature from Operation: Annihilate.

It's going to reek like a Gorn's ass.

It's going to be as visually appealing as a pile of Horta shit.

It's going to be as exciting as Harry Mudd talking about his hemmorhoids.

Hey, that's what I'm telling myself - don't wanna set myself up for disappointment!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

WE'VE JUST SEEN IT!!!

Fasten your seatbelts guys, this one is a firecracker! Its a big, loud, very funny, sentimental roller coaster thrill ride. JJ Abrams has pulled off the impossble: a totally fresh reboot of the original, yet somehow retaining the feel and characters intact. The Enterprise crew remain TOTALLY familiar and it's great fun to see their origins and first meetings with each other. Damn, we laughed all the way through andit never lets up.

I gotta say, Trek is back and in safe hands. The movie was a lot less serious in tone than I expected (aside from the opening scenes which were quite emotional) but manages to keep you engaged from start to finish.

I'm not sure if the Trek nitpickers will be completely happy (are they ever?) but load up with popcorn and Coke and ENJOY THE RIDE!

I think that this movie is a breath of fresh air for the franchise. We often talk about how most movies are forgotten after seeing them, even on the drive home from the theatre. Not this one boys and girls!

Oh yeah, the Enterprise looks simply beautiful on screen, just like we know her. And she's packing some serious firepower.

Mike, Oz
Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Count Baltar

birdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of All

Thanks Mike.

Can't wait to it.

Mark
Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 AM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

I just saw it, add another 9 bucks to the tally
Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Resident JLH Groupie

DaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati God

I'll throw my guess into the ring .....

$110 million for opening weekend.

The problem with America is stupidity. Now I don't believe in capital punishment for stupidity. However, I think we should just take all the safety labels off everything and let Mother Nature fix the problem herself.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

94% on "Rotten Tomatoes". That high a score is usually reserved for some new age deep thought movie / foreign film crapola.
I can't believe I have to wait a month to see this.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

What, HK a little behind the times?

It certainly isn't a deep thought movie, Drew. In retrospect, I think it even dumbs-down Trek as we know it, but probably to SW:ANH levels. That's not a bad thing: what it lacks in serious drama, it more than makes up for in humour, excitement and action. It's a true popcorn movie that will have you laughing and cheering.

We even got free passes to see it again as the movie started 15 minutes late for unknown reasons. It was worth the wait.

Mike, Oz
Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

Another little warm-up for those who haven't seen it yet.

Mike, Oz
Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Count Baltar

birdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of All

Going to see it to night. Can't wait.

Mark
Old 05-08-2009, 08:00 AM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute

85 mil easy
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

I'll wait a week or so for the crowds to thin out. I hear tickets have been selling fast on the internet. A good sign.

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek Dummy View Post
85 mil easy
Bah - Eighty-SIX million!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

$$100M. Plus Thursday night.

And that's in double dollars!

Frak. Mixing franchises again!

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 PM
On Vacation

fokkerpilot has disabled reputation

Saw it this afternoon and all I can say is "Awesome"!!! A definite 4 out of 4 and I will be going back to see it again once the crowds subside.
And yes, I really look forward to a 1:350 or larger scale version of this ship.

Last edited by fokkerpilot; 05-08-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: add sentence