Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 AM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: New ST trailer

*Recollects similar anticipation over a certain movie this same time ten years ago*

*Will probably wait for the DVD*

The only thing I can take from the trailer is, how they seem to be doing a Luke Skywalker with Kirk. Farm boy/ destiny/ parallels with lost father/ replace the words -Great Jedi- and -Great pilot- with -Captain- and blah blah...

As to timeline, I honestly don't think it's going to follow suit, I mean the whole project and the Enterprise itself suggests this, but if you also recall Balance of Terror, it was stated in that episode that the Federation and Romulans had no contact with eachother post their war and establishment of the Neutral Zone 100 years earlier... so dunno
Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

Here's my hypothesis on what will happen.

SPOILERS:

Elder Spock dies in a sacrifice/suicide against the Nerada, Nero's ship.

Pike will either be killed, leading Kirk to take command, or Pike is purposely leaving the picture to allow Kirk to take command. Spock is off the Enterprise when this happens so he can't stop it. Pike could also be seen getting seriously injured and placed into the chair, or maybe he leaves to take command of a training ship. Maybe that's why he was in command of the Enterprise in the first place: to get Kirk into the picture. Hhhhmmm. Makes one think.

Kirk is not born in Iowa, just lives there as a child, probably in an orphanage or with relatives. Kirk is actually born aboard the Kelvin. Kirk's dad, George Kirk, dies.

Romulus is destroyed. (this is really not a suprise to anyone here, if you've seen the back cover of the upcoming novel by Alan Dean Foster.

Starfleet building yards are not in Iowa but, San Fransisco, which means Kirk will travel across the US to "find" himself. After he looks at the ship in drydock, he then joins Starfleet, just "down the road".

When the movies ends, the timeline will be restored and the Enterprise will become exactly like the original, including the bridge! Like in TNG when the Ent C returned to their time and timeline restored itself. I think that will be a big suprise for everyone plus, I'd be just plain neat!!!!

Shatner will be in the movie at the end IF elder Spock doesn't commit a kamikaze run against the Romulan ship, he will return to an early period of his time and save the Shat from getting killed. Something with the Shat will happen, I firmly believe. Why else would there have been such a bruhaha that he isn't in it? It's also possible that elder Spock would just kill Soran before the incident that led to his becoming, well, mean!

Then again, maybe I'm wrong on all counts but, I sure hope elder Spock doesn't get killed. Think of how young Spock knows he will committ suicide in the future.

Opinions?

Old 03-07-2009, 05:05 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan v 2.5 View Post
I'm so excited, I just want to cry. Please don't let this suck. We've been waiting so patiently for good Trek to return. Make us believe again.

P@T
There it is----EXACTLY the way I feel as well. I've watched that trailer for 6 billionth time this weekend, and I'm STILL not sick of it.

And I still still get hard nipples every time, when one of the crew says "and we have no Captain."

And Chris Pine says,"yeah we do....".

And while the effects look great---I've really developed a genuine interest in these new characters....and I've only seen the trailers.

I want them to succeed.

So I can tell the naysayers to go fuck themselves...

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:00 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Oh, how I would love for all of us to be in the
same theater watching this on opening night.

Now THAT would be a party!!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

How COOL would that be???

Afterwards, we would all walk out the theatre high-fiving and screaming and yelling!

Assuming it was a success...

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post

Afterwards, we would all walk out the theatre high-fiving and screaming and yelling!

Not to mention the post-movie celebrating!

The spouses/GF's/invited guest's could be designated drivers.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Digital Painter

tagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of All

SPOILERS:

Elder Spock dies in a sacrifice/suicide against the Nerada, Nero's ship.

^^^Certainly looks like that from the trailer.

Pike will either be killed, leading Kirk to take command, or Pike is purposely leaving the picture to allow Kirk to take command. Spock is off the Enterprise when this happens so he can't stop it. Pike could also be seen getting seriously injured and placed into the chair, or maybe he leaves to take command of a training ship. Maybe that's why he was in command of the Enterprise in the first place: to get Kirk into the picture. Hhhhmmm. Makes one think.

^^^I think that Pike with be injured/killed. I do not think that as captain he would purposly leave the ship so that cadet/yoeman etc. Kirk can command in the middle if a crisis. One other possiblity, though very unlikely, is that kirk and uhura having thier "i hope you know what your doing" during the kobiashi maru test.

Kirk is not born in Iowa, just lives there as a child, probably in an orphanage or with relatives. Kirk is actually born aboard the Kelvin. Kirk's dad, George Kirk, dies.

^^^Sounds good

Romulus is destroyed. (this is really not a suprise to anyone here, if you've seen the back cover of the upcoming novel by Alan Dean Foster.

^^^No idea, didn't read it. From the reviews, i thought Vulcan. But Romulus imploding would certainly be a good motivation for Nero.

Starfleet building yards are not in Iowa but, San Fransisco, which means Kirk will travel across the US to "find" himself. After he looks at the ship in drydock, he then joins Starfleet, just "down the road".

^^^Sound good.

When the movies ends, the timeline will be restored and the Enterprise will become exactly like the original, including the bridge! Like in TNG when the Ent C returned to their time and timeline restored itself. I think that will be a big suprise for everyone plus, I'd be just plain neat!!!!

^^^Not with you on this one, I think that JJ wants this movie to be different, his own vision if you will. If the timeline does change the Enterprise, I don't think that they would go back to 60s enterprise and bridge. JJ and paramount know that the movie franchise is in serious trouble and that this film is a make or break opportunity in many ways for the future of Trek films. If anything, love it or hate it, this movie is being sold on this spiffy new look, which is intended to not only "satisfy" the longtime fans, but create future longtime fans. To revert to the original design, though a classic, would possibly come across as a type of bait and switch tactic and turn some of those viewers off. If anything, they will change the enterprise to a design that is much more reminiscent of the classic E while still encorporating many of the newer design elements which drew these viewers in question into the theater. Though I agree that your ending would be very cool, and a wonderful nod to the diehard fans, everything that you see in this movie is there for one thing, to drive future business. Paramount is walking a fine line between keeping the longtime fans and generating newer ones. I honestly believe that the only reason that paramount finally agreed to the reboot is out of desperation.

Shatner will be in the movie at the end IF elder Spock doesn't commit a kamikaze run against the Romulan ship, he will return to an early period of his time and save the Shat from getting killed. Something with the Shat will happen, I firmly believe. Why else would there have been such a bruhaha that he isn't in it? It's also possible that elder Spock would just kill Soran before the incident that led to his becoming, well, mean!

^^^I think that it would be great to have Shatner at the end, mainly because i think that the loss of Kirk and his friendship with Spock over the years is a defining thread of Star Trek as a whole. if done correctly, could lend a readily accessable emotional core to the story. With so many different thing being said by Shatner from "I have talked to JJ" to "I was never approached for a part" it would not surprise me if it is all disinformasion. I think that It would be cool if Spock did his thing, saves our timeline and comes to realize that kirk is some how still alive. Then again, he may not be in it at all.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong on all counts but, I sure hope elder Spock doesn't get killed. Think of how young Spock knows he will committ suicide in the future.

^^^I too hope that Spock does not die or sacrifice himself, been there, done that. If he does, there are ways that they could get away with it.
1. No one, including young Spock knows that the old vulcan is actually old Spock, maybe going by a different name.
2. The action and sacrifice is show in such a way that younger Spock does not know the fate of his older self.
The writers are playing with time travel, so basically anything can be explained one way or the other.

Last edited by tagwashere; 03-08-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
What's in your Stable?

greenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of Allgreenusmarine53 Overlord Master of All

*******SPOILERS******SPOILERS******SPOILERS******* AND OPINIONS

Don’t know about the Pike thing but the writer’s have said they stuck with canon as much as possible, so Pike doesn’t die. I surmise we just get to see Kirk’s command ability rather than him actually taking permanent command. They have said that they wanted a realistic portrayal and no one, no matter how cool Kirk is, no one would give command of a starship to a kid barely out of the academy or as I understand it, he’s still a cadet.

Kirk is not born in Iowa. He is born on an escape pod fleeing the destruction of the USS Kelvin, where his father is killed.

The Enterprise will be built in Iowa. Maybe it’s commissioned at the San Francisco yards. This is supposed to be explained in the movie.

I’m not sure what else they could have incorporated into the design of this ship as a nod to past iterations of the E without making it a copy. I doubt very much it’ll go back to the way things were. And based on the reactions from non-geeky media, this movie is gonna sell, BIG. Personally, I got some big goose bumps when I saw the new trailer at the theater. My Gawd, seeing the ship on the screen, seeing it move (there is one shot that is just badass, you see the E from the bottom as it passes through a debris field and it gave me shills), beautiful, just beautiful. And it’s by far NOT my favorite design. I’m into Trek because of the ships and I really like what they’ve done even if it isn’t my favorite look.

The story itself looks to be an altered timeline kinda thing but that begs a question. What is the point? If the timeline has been altered and then goes back to normal then what we see in the film is moot. If it doesn’t change, well then, the ramifications of that’ll be huge especially if it was Romulus that implodes (I haven’t seen it but as I understand it, this happens in the comic Countdown, what we see in the trailer is something else I believe). That might just piss off a few people.

Either way, JJ and crew have done an amazing job and I await this film with GREAT anticipation. I pray with Pat, I hope it’s good. Actually, wait, I know it’ll be good in and of itself. Any disappointment will probably be based in selfishness as I’m more of a TNG fan and if they diddle with the timeline…

Anyway, that’s my piece.

Take a look at www.trekmovie.com. They are truly in the know, especially since Bob Orci is a frequent contributer.

Some relavent items:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/03/08/star...shot-analysis/

http://trekmovie.com/2009/03/03/wond...tdown-writers/

Exigo a me non ut optimis par sim, sed ut malis melior
Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

What would the purpose of a "Reset Time Travel Story be?" To tell a story, perhaps? So we can see just how much of James T. Kirk remains in Kirk of this alternate timeline? Besides, they don't have to "reset" the timeline perfectly, as some aspect of it will likely be altered from the "real" timeline even if they fix it somehow.

Meh... I don't care. I just want a good story.

Quote:

Some of us could, perhaps, wait to see it in Louisville Thursday night before WonderFest kicks off. Provided we all get to Louisville in time to go do dinner and a movie.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
Meh... I don't care. I just want a good story.

Some of us could, perhaps, wait to see it in Louisville Thursday night before WonderFest kicks off. Provided we all get to Louisville in time to go do dinner and a movie.
...and if the movie sucked, we could just go drown our sorrows and get drunk.

Oh wait---we get drunk on Thursday night anyhow!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

I likely won't have a chance to see it before Louisvlle, unfortunately.

Quote:
...and if the movie sucked, we could just go drown our sorrows and get drunk.

Oh wait---we get drunk on Thursday night anyhow!
And Friday night.

And Saturday night.

And a reeaaaally good buzz Sunday night, usually stopping by 10pm. At least, for me.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Fear is the Mind Killer.

Padawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati God

I just saw the new TV spot and giggled like an idiot through the whole thing.

If this ends up sucking, I'm going to kill someone.

P@T

My model club: www.fpkclub.com

"Pat is more like a good explosion. First, you wonder what the hell happened. Then, you realize what it was. Then, you often find yourself wishing it would happen again, depending on the target." LDB
Old 04-09-2009, 06:04 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Nice !

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

Conversation continues HERE. ~ OOT