Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 01-16-2009, 06:35 PM

3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold
Default Scratch built F-117 Stealth Fighter

Picked up the small kit 1/72nd in Michael's while my wife was shopping for yarn. I said to myself damn that looks like a space ship I think I can build that bigger. I am making it 3x bigger so maybe it's 1/24 scale around 29 inches long give or take?
Started by making templates and then finding a way to get them glued together pretty seemlessly.It's a bit of a geometric night mare but hey I have been there before!

The model you see in progression went into the garbage because it aws getting wonkey on me!! The model you see in primer is attempt # 2 which I am happy with!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-013S.JPG (37.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-014S.JPG (38.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-016S.JPG (36.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-017S.JPG (37.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-018S.JPG (37.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-019S.JPG (39.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-020S.JPG (39.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-021S.JPG (39.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-022S.JPG (39.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-023S.JPG (37.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-024S.JPG (39.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-025S.JPG (37.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-026S.JPG (37.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-027S.JPG (36.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-028S.JPG (36.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-031S.JPG (36.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-034S.JPG (37.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-037S.JPG (34.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-038S.JPG (35.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-916S.JPG (34.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-918S.JPG (36.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-921S.JPG (36.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-922S.JPG (34.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010S.JPG (37.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-011S.JPG (37.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-012S.JPG (37.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-015S.JPG (37.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by 3D-builder; 01-16-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Scratch built F-117 Stealth Fighter

Looks like it is shaping up nicely - I bet getting all the facets down correctly was a pain.

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM

3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold3D-builder is a splendid one to behold

Hey Gunnie ya exactly it was a pain....thanks for the encouragement!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Banned

modman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati God

Michael. thats looking great. I need to start on that cobra helicopter ive been wanting to do for along time now. keep those pics coming.

Al
Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
That is so cool.
I've got to learn to scale up a subject like that.
It won't be something with ten thousand angles, I can assure you.

Great start 3DB!
Ya but Mech the angles are where all the fun is!!LOL
Old 01-17-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modman06 View Post
Michael. thats looking great. I need to start on that cobra helicopter ive been wanting to do for along time now. keep those pics coming.

Al
Cobra ha that would be awsome!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

You're off to a great start, Michael.

However, if I may...? You might want to check around online for as much in the way as reference as you can find, as most of the models I've seen of the F-117A aren't totally accurate. I was assigned to the 9th Fighter Squadron at Holloman AFB for 3 1/2 years and know from personal observation.

A few on a quick search:

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photo...-1234A-801.JPG

http://www.af.mil/photos/index.asp?galleryID=27

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...f-117-pics.htm

If you're looking to make it a bit more realistic, like an operational aircraft in the midst of flying hours - between fresh paintjobs, after receiving some RAM (Radar Absorbent Material) panel repair - go with Testor Flat Black as the base color, then mark off an area as if an access panel had been pulled by taking one small drop of a dark gray in to some flat black and paint the area. Usually, when the RAM was removed for access to a panel and then fresh RAM was placed in that area, it was usually just a touch lighter than the rest of the paintjob on the aircraft.

Most pics I've seen online don't show this sort of detail, instead going for the Publicity Photo look of a totally clean aircraft. Here's one of an aicraft that had a lot of panel work done on it prior to going to paint barn. It also shows a rare pic of the "trap", or the weapons pylon assembly:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...117-99072a.jpg

Also, you could sometimes see the outline of the "buggers" (the adhesive and a sealant used to get a seamless seal for the new panel) around the new panel. That might require an ever-so-slightly lighter mix w/the flat black. Same thing for around the intake grill.

Regardless, I can't wait to see this one finished! Thanks for sharin'!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Firefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to behold

this is cool,
So curious, how'd that "trap" work out on those Aircraft
Will
Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
You're off to a great start, Michael.

However, if I may...? You might want to check around online for as much in the way as reference as you can find, as most of the models I've seen of the F-117A aren't totally accurate. I was assigned to the 9th Fighter Squadron at Holloman AFB for 3 1/2 years and know from personal observation.

A few on a quick search:

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photo...-1234A-801.JPG

http://www.af.mil/photos/index.asp?galleryID=27

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...f-117-pics.htm

If you're looking to make it a bit more realistic, like an operational aircraft in the midst of flying hours - between fresh paintjobs, after receiving some RAM (Radar Absorbent Material) panel repair - go with Testor Flat Black as the base color, then mark off an area as if an access panel had been pulled by taking one small drop of a dark gray in to some flat black and paint the area. Usually, when the RAM was removed for access to a panel and then fresh RAM was placed in that area, it was usually just a touch lighter than the rest of the paintjob on the aircraft.

Most pics I've seen online don't show this sort of detail, instead going for the Publicity Photo look of a totally clean aircraft. Here's one of an aicraft that had a lot of panel work done on it prior to going to paint barn. It also shows a rare pic of the "trap", or the weapons pylon assembly:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...117-99072a.jpg

Also, you could sometimes see the outline of the "buggers" (the adhesive and a sealant used to get a seamless seal for the new panel) around the new panel. That might require an ever-so-slightly lighter mix w/the flat black. Same thing for around the intake grill.

Regardless, I can't wait to see this one finished! Thanks for sharin'!
Thats a great shot right there Griff thanks a bunch!! From the out set I didn't want to get carried away with the actual aircraft, I just want a good representation. I will have it on a stick so I don't have to do any of that nice fancy stuff!!!LOL Hey I am getting old and lazy what can I say!!

Thats a great shot though shpws the panels and stuff SWEET thanks for the paint tip. If I keep getting pics like this I will get carried away with it!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 AM

Whats up with his boots are those like non slip rubbers or are they so he doesn't mess up the skin of the air craft?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox M31 View Post
this is cool,
So curious, how'd that "trap" work out on those Aircraft
Will
Hey, Will! Good to see you posting here!

The "trap" is that to which the munition is attached. It retracts up in to the aircraft, which has two weapons bays that open up center-line. The trapeze (sp?) "ejects" the munition away from the aircraft at a fairly fast rate w/the door flipping open, the munition being released and pushed away in the same motion and the door closing back up - all w/in a matter of a few seconds.

It was designed that way so that anyone looking with radar might get a glimpse of something, but w/how a lot of radar tends to rotate and take roughly five seconds to complete it's cycle, the weapons bay doors would have already opened and then closed. Even if the radar caught the F-117A w/the bay door open, it wouldn't immediately know what the frak it was seeing and wouldn't get the same return on the next sweep. If the F-117A was ever picked up on radar at all, it would appear to be the size of a small bird.

If you get a chance, rent/catch on Discovery one othe various shows about the F-117A. "Nighthawk, Secrets of the Stealth" I think is the first one made w/the full cooperation of the USAF and has a couple of guys I worked with - to include my squadron commander at the time, LtCol Gregory Feest, First In Stealth. He's now a MajGen Gregory Feest and was called First In Stealth because he was the first operational F-117A Pilot to drop a live munition during a Real World Operation (in Panama), First pilot over Baghdad during The Gulf War and First Active Duty Pilot to reach 1,000 hours in an F-117A cockpit. Great guy who looked out for his people and was always ready to take the lead when it came to dropping bombs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-builder View Post
Thats a great shot right there Griff thanks a bunch!!
You're more than welcome, Michael! WIsh I had some better pics for you, but what I've got isn't saved digitally. I'll have to rectify that one of these days.
Quote:
From the out set I didn't want to get carried away with the actual aircraft, I just want a good representation. I will have it on a stick so I don't have to do any of that nice fancy stuff!!!
Kewel!!! Stealth on a Stick! That's what we used to call them whenever one would get put on display somewhere. First one was at Nellis AFB, Nevada. Next was at Wright-Patterson. The USAF Museum has one that's on the ground, if you ever get a chance to go there, as does Holloman AFB. They removed the RAM, tho, and simply painted over the skin of the aircraft with flat black.

BTW, one of my friends was a crew chief when I was out at the 9th FS. His name is Mike Alford and he took exception pride in his aircraft - which I believe was tail number 824 - to the point where they had a quarterly inspection to decide which aircraft would be the Wing King's bird. Mike's almost always won and they made him ineligible three times that I know of so that someone else would have a chance to win. He would take extra care to wipe down the struts and use Testors Gloss White spraybomb paint. For the cockpit area where the green would show, he used Testors flat black spraybombs as touch up so that the green wouldn't show, as well as around some of the panels - after carefully masking the displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-builder View Post
Whats up with his boots are those like non slip rubbers or are they so he doesn't mess up the skin of the air craft?
The booties were a little of both, tho mostly so that the hard-soled boots wouldn't mar the surface of the aircarft. You didn't even think of going topside of a Stealth if you didn't have them on, as it was an automatic LOR (Letter of Reprimand) if you didn't have one Hell of a good reason for doing so.

Another quick tip - if you want the cockpit canopy glass to look right, try and find some sort of clear gold to mist the inside of the cockpit canopy. You might even try thinning some regular gold paint out a lot and play aroudn w/that 'til you hit it right how you want it. Maybe Tamiya clear yellow? Not real sure, myself. The glass used in the canopy was chemcially treated to help absorb - not reflect! - radar energy and had a gold tint to it that doesn't always show up in pics.

HTH!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks Griff real good info!!! I have this clear plastic with a nice golden yellow tinit to it I was considering using this? Also where I work there is a theatre on campus and they have all of these gels they use in front of the lights, so I thought I would poke my head around in their dept!!!! You know being the model scavenger I am!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 AM

bar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond repute

I have always wanted one of these in 1/24.
I can settle for finally seeing one done.
How i would KILL(KILL I TELLS YA!), if you had made the shape so it could be vac-formed...
But i still look forward to seeing it done.
Well done Michael!
Bar.
Come gather round people, wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown, and accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone. If your time to you is worth saving, then you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone, cause the times they are a changin'
e-mail(And msn Messenger): vipermark7@googlemail.com
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar View Post
I have always wanted one of these in 1/24.
I can settle for finally seeing one done.
How i would KILL(KILL I TELLS YA!), if you had made the shape so it could be vac-formed...
But i still look forward to seeing it done.
Well done Michael!
Bar.
Well it is still hollow underneath! I think you could build this bird no problem Barry just give it a try.Would be nice to have some company along the way! Glue and styrene thats all you need for this.....well at least for the way I am making mine!!LOL
Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 PM

Firefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to beholdFirefox M31 is a splendid one to behold

Very Cool info Griff, and thanks...Actually I'm fortunate to know as a friend, someone who worked for Lockeed Skunkworks on several "Articles" including making parts for the F117. I've seen some amazing things through him and heard some great stories about the different Articles. This is an amazing build and my friend loves this plane dearly, as he helped make it. Will this be a kit?
Will