Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 11-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: New Star Trek Trailer(s) - post links here

^ Yeah!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Chef in Training

Talen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond repute

I love the old school Trek, but I can also see Paramount/Viacom's view here. If Trek is to stay alive for another forty years, it needs new fans, and those fans need to come from the 7-14 year old age range that really know nothing of old Trek, and even re-packaging the old TOS episodes isn't going to make a 10 year old go "oooh...ahhh". They are going to see it as a 40 year old show. So yeah they need to making it sparkle and shine and be nifty, its got to now compete with new school Star Wars, Transformers, Iron Man, and a half a dozen other franchises out there that is making that age group go oooohh and ahhh and bug their parents to buy all of the merchandise.

I'll go see the movie, and make my judgment then, as for the trailer, I thought it was pretty freaking cool, I've grown to kinda like the new design (can't really gripe since its the new design, they aren't going to change it now).
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

Sheeeit.

I don't buy that at all. My sons ALL love classic Trek and they're 8,7 and 5.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 AM

Titon is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to beholdTiton is a splendid one to behold

God those corridors.....eww...

Looks interesting though.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Thomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
I've been thinking about your earlier post, and it doesn't make sense. That is NOT a shot at you, but your source. How is Spock the elder, going to meet Kirk and his younger self, without some kind of time travel angle? I mean, iirc, they've pretty much said they meet, so the cliche' of time travel must be a given.

All that being said, perhaps this is just one version of the Enterprise we'll see. Perhaps we will yet get the classic Connie on screen at some point.
Too much of this is conjecture at this point, so it is crazy for any of us, you and I included, to condemn too much about this, outside the initial "I don't like that Enterprise", no?

After seeing the trailer, I am excited to see this new movie and like Talen, will wait until after I leave the theater, maybe even after multiple viewings, to pass my own personal judgement. From what I've seen so far, this little snippet, I likey. I likey very muchly.

Yeah Mech your right, I'm just a way to passionate fan.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Chef in Training

Talen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond reputeTalen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
Sheeeit.

I don't buy that at all. My sons ALL love classic Trek and they're 8,7 and 5.
and if your sons were like all of America then there wouldn't have a perception of the need to re-boot the franchise. Not to be nasty, but I don't think your kids are the norm in this situation, but the exception.

My son who is 11 turns his nose up at it as old. He might like the new Trek since its shiney and new, and it may interest him into looking into old school Trek.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Goldmember

^ Not to be offensive myself, but that's EXACTLY what I find 'wrong' with today's audiences. They seem to like flash and fluff over substance. I'm not saying that's true in your son's case...

But why 're-package' an old established property at all? Why not INVENT something new that WILL appeal to this New and Improved generation? Well, we all know the 'why' of that. Like everything else, repackaging is the path of least resistance and potentially the road to easier profit.

This is why we get 300 channels of crap to pick from on the satellite. This is why we have wrestling on the SciFi channel. Why we have makeover shows on the 'Learning' Channel. Why there's a sense of 'sameness' about everything now.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by atacpdx View Post
Here is a bootleg of the new trailer coming Monday...

http://www.trailerspy.com/trailer/1329/Star-Trek-Trailer

Wow! Star Trek just became cool. I can't wait to see this.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Elkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant futureElkybaby has a brilliant future

I dont know guys, it looks like it could be another star trek nemesis, hope not!! I would like to see some different trek for a change
Old 11-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkybaby View Post
I dont know guys, it looks like it could be another star trek nemesis, hope not!! I would like to see some different trek for a change
I'll be waiting for the Star Trek: Nemesis is Crap thread to read further...

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 11-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

LOLOL... I VERY much enjoyed Nemesis! LOLOLOL

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 PM
-

atemylunch has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
But why 're-package' an old established property at all? Why not INVENT something new that WILL appeal to this New and Improved generation? Well, we all know the 'why' of that. Like everything else, repackaging is the path of least resistance and potentially the road to easier profit.

This is why we get 300 channels of crap to pick from on the satellite. This is why we have wrestling on the SciFi channel. Why we have makeover shows on the 'Learning' Channel. Why there's a sense of 'sameness' about everything now.
Bob cable/satellite is 500 channels of chrome plated ka ka.

Bob, your first point is what I've been saying all along. Personally I'm sick of the the same old sci-fi stuff, I would rather watch the old stuff than any of the new stuff, it's much better.

I really want to see something new, if for any reason people wouldn't get so alienated over the attempted rebranding. I will just have to call this form of Trek as the "New Coke", of ST, or lets make it look like SW & the new BSG(new Coke tasted more like Pepsi).

I want some new stuff, new ships, new characters, new stories. It's a real shame Hollywood has to put it's money into this type of nonsense. The talent is sure there to give us some really great stuff. But I feel it's wasted on this continued stupid crap, that is just painful to watch. This really says something about where our society is, and it's not a good place.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by atemylunch View Post

I want some new stuff, new ships, new characters, new stories.

This I TOTALLY agree with.

Not that I don't want more Trek... I really do... and am happy to see it offered,.... BUT on the larger scale.... the fact that nearly everything coming out these days is all about the re-make!!! There are many great stories and writers out there, yet the popular thing to do is what has already been done. Hmmmmmm

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 11-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn Global View Post
LOLOL... I VERY much enjoyed Nemesis! LOLOLOL

So did I! Some of the best Trek battle scenes ever. It was a "ship" movie for sure, and that's all I'm interested in, the ships....and Deanna Troi, but that's another matter.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by atemylunch View Post
I want some new stuff, new ships, new characters, new stories. It's a real shame Hollywood has to put it's money into this type of nonsense. The talent is sure there to give us some really great stuff. But I feel it's wasted on this continued stupid crap, that is just painful to watch. This really says something about where our society is, and it's not a good place.

Well.

We had that. It was called 'Firefly'. Just look how they bungled that. Not the show itself, but how they presented it, didn't give it a chance and then tossed it in the bin.

And we all know what happened with 'New' Coke... God I was pissed. I've been drinking Coke since before I had breast milk...LOL!