Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-20-2019, 06:33 PM

Troy Downen New face in the crowd
Default 1/4105 BSG Colonial Terrestrial Bombardment Cruiser

Iíve been a big fan of Battlestar Galactica since the original 1970s TV series. Modelers have been fortunate that weíve had relatively recent BSG kits released by Moebius that include both fighters and capital ships. And for those capital ships we have not only the original series Galactica, but the 2003 reimagined series Galactica AND Pegasus, plus Colonial One.

Battlestars are great; they are the football players of the fleet, getting all of the glory! The band never gets any attention (guess what I did in high schoolÖ LOL). But we all know that fleets need support and auxiliary ships, and that the fleet must perform functions other than BANG BANG shoot-em-up slugfests with Cylon Basestars.

So, this long-suffering player in the band has decided to start a new series of original-design BSG ships to fill in those gaps in the fleet. First up: the Colonial Terrestrial Bombardment Cruiser (TBC). Before I explain what that means, Iíll show you some resinÖ

Designed in the ďstandardĒ BSG capital ship scale of 1/4105 (in-scale with the Monogram and Moebius Galactica kits) and intended to fit in the reimagined series universe, the TBC comes in 20 resin parts that are 3D printed. When assembled, the ship will measure approximately 6 inches in length.

BSG TBC 01 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

There is a strongback, or armature, that comes in upper and lower parts. Once the mating surfaces are cleaned up those parts are joined to form the center of the ship to which all other parts will be attached.

BSG TBC 02 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

Here Iím starting to place the missile silo batteries. There are 6 batteries, each battery having 6 missile silos, for a total armament of 36 missiles. Itís basically a ballistic missile submarine for the fleet, but itís designed to bombard Cylon occupied worlds.

BSG TBC 03 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

The aft engine housing comes in two parts; Iím holding the main housing to which the 4 FTL engine nacelles will be mounted. The part on the table (upside down) is the sublight drive which mates to the main housing.

BSG TBC 04 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

Each of the 4 FTL engine nacelles (only one is shown here) mates to the main engine housing.

BSG TBC 05 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

Thatís just a beginning to the kit assembly. I need to do a bit more trimming and then finish assembly. Iíll post more photos soon. These kits will be available on my website for anyone who might wish to add them to their fleet: https://downenscaledreplicas.com

But what the heck have I got going on here? Well, I wanted to build a BSG fleet that would more closely resemble a 20th or 21st Century Earth navy. The US Navy has Marine Expeditionary Forces that are designed to land Marines and occupy strategic areas on land. Thatís something that carrier-based F-18s canít do (and neither can Battlestar-based vipers).

In my version of the reimagined BSG universe, during the First Cylon WarÖ

The Marine Expeditionary Forces (MEF) are dedicated units focused on the liberation of Cylon-occupied worlds. Organized as operationally independent units under Battlestar Groups, each MEF consists of a number of ships of three different types: Pathfinder Insertion Corvettes (PIC), Terrestrial Bombardment Cruisers (TBC) and Marine Assault Carriers (MAC). Although opportunities to penetrate occupied systems have been limited during the war to date, the MEFs have a proven record of rapidly and efficiently eliminating the Cylon presence in systems under assault.

BSG TBC 06a by Troy Downen, on Flickr

The Allecto Class Terrestrial Bombardment Cruiser (TBC) is the hammer of the MEF task group. Equipped with 36 silos of Vengeance class missiles capable of carrying up to 10 hypersonic kinetic-kill warheads each, the Allecto Class is capable of raining destruction on Cylon worlds.

BSG TBC 06b by Troy Downen, on Flickr

There are more ship designs coming, but first I need to get back to assembling this prototype. Visit the website: https://downenscaledreplicas.com
Old 08-20-2019, 08:00 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1/4105 BSG Colonial Terrestrial Bombardment Cruiser

You have a good looking ship there. Definitely liking the idea for it too.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 AM

torgg will become famous soon enoughtorgg will become famous soon enoughtorgg will become famous soon enough

Looks great and I'm interested. I signed up on your page.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Awesome, guys. Thanks. Plugging away... More updates soon.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:35 PM

This has actually turned out to be a very quick build for me. Pretty much a weekend kit. All of the parts were painted varying shades of gray (not 50 shades, but five or sixÖ).

BSG TBC 15 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

Some of those tones look stark now, but I evened it out with an overall mist of a lighter gray once the model was assembled. I also wanted to get some color on the model (other than gray) so I masked for some pin stripes similar to how the original 1970s Galactica had red highlights (but Iím going to use blue here).

BSG TBC 18 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

AndÖ the result. Not too shabby, I think. Iíll tone it down a bit with another mist coat of light gray.

BSG TBC 19 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

Speaking of shabby, I did a pin wash of dark gray to pop out the panel lines on the ship and make it look somewhat grubby, or used, overall. I like to use AMMO MiGís enamel panel line washes. After letting them set for about 10-15 minutes they can easily be wiped off with a cotton swab. NOTE: Always clear coat the model with a gloss acrylic coat before doing an enamel pin wash. Gloss because it helps the wash flow, and acrylic (water based) because the enamel wonít attack the clear coat.

BSG TBC 20 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

Iíll side track you for a moment because I printed guns (!) for the ship. I wasnít sure they would actually print well with all of the intended detail, but they turned out GREAT! I was really jazzed when I saw them come out of the printer. They are TINY TINY TINY but they look great.

Sheet1 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

Now, you have to ask yourself, have I really committed enough sin in a former life that I need to atone for it now by dealing with something this small? If not, then you can skip this step. As for meÖ Well, letís just say that I installed 12 of these guys on the ship! LOL

BSG TBC 13 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

All kidding aside, they really were not all that difficult to install. Clip them off the runners inside of a plastic bag so that they donít going flying into the ether, and use a fine pair of tweezers and CA glue to install them on the gun mounts. The installed gunsÖ

BSG TBC 23 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

And now I believe that I can officially call this project complete.

BSG TBC 21 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

BSG TBC 22 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

BSG TBC 26 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

BSG TBC 24 by Troy Downen, on Flickr

I canít believe how much fun this project actually turned out to be for me. Designing, printing and building my own, original BSG capital ship design. Thanks for tuning in for the build.

I do have these available on my website for other BSG modelers: https://downenscaledreplicas.com

And I have a complete YouTube build video posted on my channel: https://youtu.be/pywhNtvNJ-k