Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 12-03-2018, 04:10 PM

dtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud of
Default 1/24 scale Y-Wing build by dtssyst

It has begun!

I was not intending to do a WIP thread any place but could not resist.
This will be for my own personal collection.
I am in no rush to get it finished. That could change as it progresses. lol

A few of the MANY parts that are needed are shown in the first photo.
Second photo shows my first 3D printed (ABS plastic) part from my 3D printer (anet A8).
Last photo shows a few more 3D printed parts added to the armature.

Hopeful to get all main body parts 3D printed in the next few weeks.
I have a few kits in hand for the engines. Coming soon... more nernies (cast in resin).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW_ANH-YWing.jpg (383.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by dtssyst; 01-03-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:17 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1/24 scale Y-Wing build by dtssyst

Wow, gorgeous progress!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 12-24-2018, 02:58 PM

dtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud ofdtssyst has much to be proud of

Top photo,
A few parts are glued and attached to the armature. Note: some are not as I need to run wire for LED lights to be installed at a later date.

Bottom photo,
Currently printing the upper forward fuselage. About 6 hrs to go till it is done.

Last edited by dtssyst; 12-24-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
Wow, gorgeous progress!
Thank you Tiberious.

It is the day after receiving the nurnies. I have had time to try and absorb / comprehend what was received.
It was like Christmas. Because, this was my Christmas present.

Studio Kitbash over at RPF has spent a lot of time and funds in getting all the kits that are needed to build the 1/24 scale Y-Wing. More time and funds to make molds and then casting all of these parts. Is every part here? No. But really close. Also note that he is still looking and getting kits for parts that are still being identified.
Studio kitbash went above and beyond our expectations with the parts we received. He is a very fast at responding to emails. In our communications we learned that he is also very nice, kind and caring.

Packaging:
The parts sent are in many zip lock bags inside of a box. So do not fear that they are just loose in a box. My wife and I started sorting out the duplicates yesterday. Then we inserted them into bags to make it easier to find the parts later. We ran out of bags so to the store we go for more bags.

The First:
The parts that are 'first' have very little or no flashing. The only issue in removing the flashing is that there are so many parts (it takes a lot of time). Time that I am very willing to spend. These 'first' parts are exceptional in casting quality. Some parts even have words that can be clearly read. I can not say more as they really are that good.

The Seconds:
The 'seconds' need work. Not only in the removal of the flash (that is thicker) but fixing broken and or missing detail. Some 'seconds' are also so thin that detail is missing and or non existent. There are plenty of extras to help with this. Fixing these 'seconds' to look better will take time not to mention modeling abilities.

The Sub Assemblies:
The 'first' are better cast (quality) than the 'seconds'. The detail is sharper and little to no bubbles or extra resin is found in fine areas. From going over all of the parts included, it may be possible to not use a few of the sub assemblies. The parts needed for some of the sub assembles are included. Meaning, you can make your own sub assemblies.

Photos:
Some parts are still not sorted by us. A lot of them still need cleanup such as flash removed. Shown below is what we received, yours may be different in casting, quality and quantity.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 PM

The parting of the parts has begun...
Old 01-24-2019, 05:26 PM

The sorting and identifying parts takes a little bit of time to do.

Progress that we have made before today...

Progress we that we made this evening...
Old 01-30-2019, 10:30 AM

Progress has been made. May not be perfectly accurate but I am trying to do the best that I can.

Wondering how to trim the parts, I remembered that I have the Proxxon saw. It worked perfectly.

The larger of the two leggs eggs halves were measured and then trimmed from the open end. I took off about 20mm. That does include the little edge that helps connect both egg halves together. Note: that makes the egg approximately 1 5/8 from the tip of the leggs egg to where it glues to the saturn rocket.

The other half of the leggs eggs had the locking edge cut off. I then trimmed off the top so that I had the rear (tail shroud) parts. The final measurement is approx. 22 mm. It is my understanding that I should use two front leggs eggs for this. I may try to get another two pair. Otherwise, these will have to do.

The 1/144 Apollo Saturn V rockets were trimmed as well today. I trimmed off the locking ring and left 1 mm. This assist in support to glue the leggs egg in place and more glue surface area.
The rear of the rocket had about 42 mm trimmed off.

I had to add about 5 mm to the leading edge of each Plexiglass wing (received from DaveG). The reason is that the kit parts that go on the wings would not fit. Cut some wood on my Proxxon saw to size and then two part epoxy used to glue them in place. Used clamps to hold in place and to aid in alignment until the glue dried.

Found a piece of wood in my closet of goodies for a make shift base. Also found a dowel rod that is the perfect size.

Wire was run to each engine for lighting and also a wire to the forward fuselage so I can light the cockpit.
A 9v battery will supply power from the rear of the ship. It will be hidden in an accessible compartment.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:48 AM

This is starting to look very awesome!!!

The beginning of getting these two parts the correct size for the engines that I 3D printed.

The back showing the wires for lighting.

Blue dots were to assist in alignment using my combination square
Old 02-01-2019, 07:47 AM

Engine 'Turkey Feathers" from Saturn rocket parts.

I have newer tooled Saturn Rocket models. In trying to match the original Red Jammer turkey feather I added lines.
Used an erasure as a guide and a razor saw to cut the lines.

Cutting off the top (appox 25 mm) keeping the bottom for the build.
Removed the 'guides' on the inside of the turkey feathered parts then glued them to the bottom ring. Taking note to not remove the bottom ring 'guide'.
Not a perfect job but a lot closer to the original.

Update: cut off about 23 mm from the top NOT 25 mm. Making the bottom part that will be used at 22 mm. I can live with being 2 mm off. Others building this replica may want to know this correction.

Last edited by dtssyst; 02-01-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:10 AM

A little progress on the bottom.
Not perfect but it sure does look good to me so far.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:55 AM

Small update.
I need to dig through the many parts from Studio Kitbash to find a few more parts. Then the bottom will be finished. Note that only a very few of the parts shown were not supplied by Studio Kitbash. I had to source those kits / parts on my own or scratch build them.

Builders note: The mounting hole section. The top red line should be about 5 mm higher. The current way it is makes this area to short for all the nurnies to fit correctly or at all. I really should have thought about it when I had to make the wings wider.

This is very time consuming project. Yet it has been and still is a lot of fun.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates. This is still very much on the bench.

The current build seen before this posting was shot down by the Empire.

Yes, this project has been torn down to the very start. Why you ask... The body fuselage size was off in more than one area. So a fellow modeler (CheesyGrin on RPF) updated the 3D files.

Two versions are now available.
DaveG files resized for printing from a third party such as shapeways.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n367d3nfhz...%20v1.rar?dl=0

and

FDM files for printing on a home 3D printer that should print faster (dependant on your preferred 3D printer settings).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2eayzt9adq...20v1a.rar?dl=0

Note: These files are compressed. You will need a program to extract the files.

I have since reprinted all the 3D main body fuselage files. I am currently in process of cleaning them up for use on my build.

As mentioned in another forum...

Reprint the files:
It is your build and you build it the way you choose. No one is saying who is right and who is wrong or who's files are right or wrong.
None of this is really necessary depending on what you're after personally.

Why:
Discrepancies were found when trying to install the nurnies on my build. I had a very difficult time and got very frustrated.
So, I reached out. CheesyGrin, Studio Kitbash and I agreed the files needed updated. The three of us agreed to the new size specifications. CheesyGrin then updated the files. We are not saying we are right. We are saying that what we agreed upon and are doing is right for us.

What we changed:
The overall length (Mid Starboard Sections) were increased in length by 5mm.
The height of ALL the main fuselage section parts were adjusted by adding 5mm.
The width on the Neck Upper Section had 3 mm added to the top surface (in front of the droid socket). None of the other parts were touched.

Perfection:
No one will ever get this build perfect (my opinion).

Lastly:
Do the best you can.
Expect to make mistakes along the way.
Be honest, ask, listen and learn.
I have done just this and made some great friends in this and other forums.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:31 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Fantastic write up!

And you are absolutely right----do what is best for YOU, and make no apologies. This is all supposed to be fun.

And it looks like you're having a great time!

Thanks for the update!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 AM

Thanks Neb.

I am having a lot of fun with this project. Taking my time cleaning up the 3D prints. Can't wait to get to where I was and then some
Old 04-25-2019, 01:59 PM

I just wanted to show that progress has been made.
Two more parts to clean up and then the fun resumes.