Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 08-03-2013, 08:40 PM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1/48 Northrop N-1M "Jeep" by Sword

First flight for this of many 'flying wings' for the U.S. was in July of 1940. Framed in tubular steel, this test model never saw production. This over weight and underpowered experiment was notoriously difficult to fly. The cockpit is very raw in design and had plywood paneling for side walls.The original now resides in the National Air museum in Illinois.
I wanted to try a few different things for the cockpit walls and propellers. Since this is my first time with wood grain effects, I wanted to try a few different things, and ended up inventing a new method, or at most discovered it independently. What do you think so far?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1440001.JPG (1.12 MB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg M1440008.JPG (961.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg M1440010.JPG (968.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg M1440014.JPG (1.04 MB, 35 views)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/48 Northrop N-1M "Jeep" by Sword

Damn fine job with the wood grain effect. Especially on the cockpit side walls.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:57 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

First time with wood effects? I think you're acing it

I can't wait to see more!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 PM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you sirs. Now that my wife has seen how i can mock wood grain she wants me to do the entire mantle!
The props aren't done yet. They get yellow tips. I have a few small details to finish in the cockpit but its mostly done. then onto assembly. too bad most of the wood grain will be hard to see.
I am not going to over think this one gents. I tend to over do things when i do that. I'm just going to cruise through it. no rushing and no over thinking. "Less is more" is my new mantra

Last edited by allthumbs; 08-03-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

The cocpit sidewalls look really good - the prop looks good, too, but the top coat (Future?) looks a little heavy. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM
BOING BOING BOING

you are absolutely right. Since I was experimenting with wood grain, I went with three layers (base, grain, top grain) and they came out, well, grainy. I covered it with a top layer of acrylic gloss coat medium hoping it would smooth it out. It ended up coming out chunky. I may redo it. It wasn't hard, just required patience.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

I love the Northrop Flying wings, everyone of them. I never have enough time to build for myself! Looking forward to seeing the finish!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Any progress?!?!?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM
BOING BOING BOING

fr sure. I have the fuselage assembled and painted. I'll have to post some pics in a couple of days. Still have some painting to do but its getting as cold as a witches tit down there in the hobby room.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 AM
BOING BOING BOING

While using a Model Master enamel, I painted some of the smoothest paint I'd ever laid down. I gave it a week to dry since I went with gloss, but it was so cold at the time it took a while. I leaned in to give it a sniff and bumped it with my nose, shipping the paint TDC.
I'm now in the process of stripping it.
Why ask why...
I guess on the bright side, I've never stripped paint before so it's all new experience.
I am one ZEN Mothafucka!
Old 12-24-2013, 03:39 PM
BOING BOING BOING

All done. This one took me a while longer than I had hoped. I really wanted to develop some wood grain experience. I was able to do that, though I had hoped the cockpit would be at least a little bit visible. There is a lot of paint on this!. After my fiasco of chipping the paint, I stripped what I could, though I had to steer clear of the cockpit. That piled up paint helped to smooth out the cockpit frame but left those holes (canopy 'tracks')...that I deliberately put there looking rough. Otherwise...pretty satisfied. For the record, if I ever build another one it would come out much better in half the time. All I'd have to do is not drop the fuckin' thing!
What do you think?
Also I'd like to add...
I will NEVER start a thread in WIP again! Its bad juju for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.JPG (1.77 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.JPG (1.82 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.JPG (956.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.JPG (1.74 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.JPG (1.79 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (2.48 MB, 6 views)
Old 12-25-2013, 05:59 AM

Looks great!
Yea, 'don't dropping it' is something I could recommend! I feel the same way about WIPs as well, I started one on the Scrambler and its taking for ever to get her done!

Scott
Old 12-25-2013, 11:24 AM
BOING BOING BOING

Thanks brother. I still consider myself new to the game. I'm 5 models in and I believe my best work to be ahead of me. These errors are all valuable, most of all is limiting the handeling of them. Stupid.
I did take some artistic liscence on a few things, like the wood grain. The pitot tube placement was as per the directions. I chose to do it that way other than the referece photos which places it further outboard and smaller.
I believe it to be smaller than 1/48. The 1/48 Corsair pilot would never fit into the Jeep. This was also my first time with a complete resin kit. Finaly popped that cherry!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

That came out looking mighty snazzy. I'm a little surprised its resin - I thought Sword was limited-run injection.