Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future
Default Re: J.J. Abrams to direct Star Wars 7

A lot of big name directors avoid this job like a plague! Brad Bird was the top fave for the job! Favreau was about the only one who didn't say no to it! Even JJ announced that he isn't going to take the job recently! I like Favreau but I think JJ is more suitable for the job!

I don't mind the lens flare, I like em but no time travel!

And Joss wants to return to Firefly after Avengers 2!

B

Last edited by Boxster; 01-28-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Edited: Unfinished post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM

Snagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud of

I think JJA will do a good job. Let's face it, plot holes or not, ST was very entertaining and looked good, even to an Applephobe like me! I'm sure he'll tone down aspects like lens flare- he won't want to make the two franchises look too similar, and the studios wouldn't stand for it. Besides, it won't take much to improve on 1,2 and 3.

As for Wheddon resurrecting Firefly, that would be the best SF news in a long time for a lot of people.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

I would have liked to have seen or even see a bit of collaboration with someone like Kevin Smith have a crack. Real fans.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 PM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
I would have liked to have seen or even see a bit of collaboration with someone like Kevin Smith have a crack. Real fans.
That would be ultimately cool! Love KS and his movies!

B
Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 AM

Snagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcanoLogic View Post
IDK why any Star Wars fan would even begin to assume J.J. would even attempt to in any way honor the SW universe. He ruined Star Trek, and he'll ruin Star Wars. Simple as that. Anything the hardcore fans want, he will do the exact opposite. Simple as that.

J.J. Abrams and Michael Bay are the same type... the only movies both of them are capable of making are movies with shallow characters that you wish would be killed off within the first five minutes of the film, constantly blinding lens flares, and lots and lots of 'splosions... lots and lots of 'splosions. Both directors take franchises millions hold dear, and defecate upon them.
I understand your dislike of the new ST - it's very different in style and feel to what we became accustomed to. However, that accustomed view consists more of TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. They were all very PC, repetitive in story base and poorly written, relying on technobable to sort out every issue. The original was not that different in tone to JJ's film, I think, in being a fairly irreverent space romp with lots of fighting and conflict, both within the crew and outside of it, and with Kirk being a cavalier maverick. Visual styling is the major change, with a real attempt (and big budget) to make it look real, and finally some depth and resonance with the characters, or at least some of them - the self sacrifice of George Kirk to save the rest of the crew and his family was the most emotional moment ST has ever achieved; Spock's " needs of the many" moment was good, but this was way stronger, and David's death in III was almost a relief.

It is hard when old shows are rebooted - I initially didn't like the design of the new Galactica or other ships, not Starbuck's excessively insubordinate behaviour and Apollo's angst, but it grew on me and I now love the show (even though I hate what they did to those two characters towards the end). I'm now worried about Space 2099, and don't like the glimpses revealed of the new version of the Eagle, but I'll give it the chance to grow on me too; if I soon liked the new Galactica and Viper designs more than the originals, then perhaps the same will be true of S1999/2099.

I think it's only a minority of hard core ST fans (I won't use the associated name because I don't want to be construed as insulting anyone) that are unhappy with the new Trek, and I suspect that some of them aren't even really that upset and just go along with the disciples' perceived wisdom. For the audience at large, though, JJ has reinvigorated a limp, stale and flavourless franchise with something that has its flaws but is much more exciting and entertaining. There's nothing wrong with liking or disliking what he's done, but to say he wrecked ST is not right - it's simply not to your taste.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Agreed, we enjoyed the hell out of NuTrek and are looking forward to more. It was just so....refreshing.

That George Kirk moment was truly powerful. It's one of my fave new-to-home-theatre demo scenes. It really knocks non sci fi viewers for six, especially when cranked up loud on blue ray. I look over and see that little glisten in their eyes.

If JJ can recreate that moment in the SW format, I'll definitely be first in line on opening night!

Mike

Last edited by LastBattlestar; 01-30-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Agreed, we enjoyed the hell out of NuTrek and are looking forward to more. It was just so....refreshing.

That George Kirk moment was truly powerful. It's one of my fave new-to-home-theatre demo scenes. It really knocks non sci fi viewers for six, especially when cranked up loud on blue ray. I look over and see that little glisten in their eyes.

If JJ can recreate that moment in the SW format, I'll definitely be first in line on opening night!

Mike
That is why I like the JJ Trek even more so! Agreed on George's scene which really moved me! Definitely looking forward for more!

B
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/ind...-of-star-wars/
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All

Hehehe.....

Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

^^^ That is freakin' cool!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Cool.

The two figures in the background----he should've made one of them look like Chewbacca....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

And they still got the mandibles at the wrong angle.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM

Qrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Thats equal parts awesome and heartbreaking.

I think JJ's the prefect choice. He's already said he's abig fan and I think he'll do the saga justice. And although I hope he goes with Williams, Giachino has done some very bequtifull music in other films. I loved his music in John Carter.