Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 12-22-2010, 11:02 AM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God
Lightbulb Star Trek "Black-Ops" Ship:Need ideas

Hi guys,

In the past,I was trying to flesh out a Star Trek story centering around
covert/"black" operations carried out by the Federation at the height of the Federation/Romulan/Klingon Cold War.The story centered around a particular ship.A heavily modified cruiser.No name,no registry number,no
acknowledgement of it's existence,and painted "black as night".

This vessel operated under the directive known as....

COBALT BLUE.

Political assassinations,abduction,intelligence gathering,surveillance,
smuggling,extortion,supporting/supplying pro-Federation "freedom fighters",in short...."Black Ops".

This build will center around the PL 1/350 Enterprise,using VADERMAN1701's Dreadnought conversion as a basis for a low slung,
"minimal aspect" look.

The ship will bear a strong resemblance to a KIROV Class Cruiser.
The inter-connecting dorsal "neck" will be shortened.Below are pics of the look I'll be going for.

My question to you is this....

What systems would you add to the design? Any ideas for "cloaking
device" emitters?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battlecruiser_kirov_ref.jpg (389.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:50 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Star Trek "Black-Ops" Ship:Need ideas

While I like the concept isn't it kind of non-PC for the Federation's rep? Therefore, yes, full cloaking and a self destruct button so it can never be identified and spoken about!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDuck View Post
While I like the concept isn't it kind of non-PC for the Federation's rep?

That's the idea .Beneath that tolerant, lily white,squeaky clean,"we are the Boy Scouts of the Galaxy" exterior,there's an underside that's as black as your feathers.

Cloaking Device:Where,and what should the emitters look like?

How about all the view ports/navigation lights (any light source for that matter) being blacked out?

Surveillance pods?

Last edited by U-boater; 12-22-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah... I'm the Fat Guy

Voyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of All

OOOHHHH... I love this.

I had a similar idea years ago using the 1/650 kit.

I was going to use warp nacell halves from the spaceship kit ( Klingon, Romulan and Enterprise ) kit for cloak emmiters on the bottom of the saucer ( or for that matter, you could use them or something similar on the sides / top of the warp nacells themselves ).

As for sensor / weapon pod, since you're going with a dreadnaught design, you could always stratigally place "greeblies" around the saucer, neck and secondary hull area

Just a thought

I disagree.

I believe that a mans destiny is predetermined.

He just needs to be able to recognize the right path of the many he will face to be able to achieve that destiny
Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Interesting - check this out. May give you a few ideas or provide some inspiration.
By road_warrior at 2010-12-22

Last edited by Road Warrior; 12-22-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Doesn't Earth field it's own fleet as well? I believe (according to trek) that Earth operates a fleet of ships under its own authority whos ships go by a NAR prefix. These ships only answer to Earth command and therefor can act outside the feds starfleet.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-boater View Post
That's the idea .Beneath that tolerant, lily white,squeaky clean,"we are the Boy Scouts of the Galaxy" exterior,there's an underside that's as black as your feathers.

Cloaking Device:Where,and what should the emitters look like?

How about all the view ports/navigation lights (any light source for that matter) being blacked out?

Surveillance pods?
Make it along the lines of the Ablative all encompassing armor of Janeway's Ent, when she was in 'combat mode'! No portholes etc. More armor, more weapons, shields, long range EMP jammers so no reports ever get back about the ship being spotted. Either fully armed up, bulked up and the extra engine power to support it-or-stripped down to outspeed anything? But always with as much stealth as possible/plausible- cloaking is good.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

I dreamed of doing something similar too in miniature, but:

1. No all-black scheme, I wanted the ship to be identifiable as a "Federation" vessel to move freely through allied space without arousing a second, closer look.

2. Equipped with a Cloaking Device that operates through the Deflector Shield Grid System - no visible emitters or extra equipment fittings on the hull that would give away "enhanced" abilities. Secondly, with an operational cloaking device, the vessel wouldn't need the all-black scheme. Caveat, operating the cloaking device would cancel out the combat deflector shield system - gotta give something to make it interesting.

3. My crew would not be readily distinguishable from standard StarFleet Personnel - again, not to attract unwarranted attention.

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 PM

Perhaps I forgot to establish the time-line....

This story/build takes place during the TMP Era.

COBALT BLUE operates under the "plausible deniability" scenario,so that
no high ranking member of the UFP/Starfleet could be implicated in the
type of operations carried out by this ship.Starfleet Intelligence basically
says to the ship's Captain....

"This is what's happening....This is what we would prefer to see happen."

Any/all responsibility for the mission rests on the Captain and Senior Officers.

There is no "Destruct Zero" capability.If the ship is in danger of being
"compromised"....It turns into a miniature sun,totally erasing any trace of its existence.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah... I'm the Fat Guy

Voyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of AllVoyager-74656 Overlord Master of All

Quote:
Perhaps I forgot to establish the time-line....

This story/build takes place during the TMP Era.

COBALT BLUE operates under the "plausible deniability" scenario,so that
no high ranking member of the UFP/Starfleet could be implicated in the
type of operations carried out by this ship.Starfleet Intelligence basically
says to the ship's Captain....

"This is what's happening....This is what we would prefer to see happen."

Any/all responsibility for the mission rests on the Captain and Senior Officers.

There is no "Destruct Zero" capability.If the ship is in danger of being
"compromised"....It turns into a miniature sun,totally erasing any trace of its existence.
Section 31

I disagree.

He just needs to be able to recognize the right path of the many he will face to be able to achieve that destiny
Old 12-22-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
I dreamed of doing something similar too in miniature, but:

1. No all-black scheme, I wanted the ship to be identifiable as a "Federation" vessel to move freely through allied space without arousing a second, closer look.

2. Equipped with a Cloaking Device that operates through the Deflector Shield Grid System - no visible emitters or extra equipment fittings on the hull that would give away "enhanced" abilities. Secondly, with an operational cloaking device, the vessel wouldn't need the all-black scheme. Caveat, operating the cloaking device would cancel out the combat deflector shield system - gotta give something to make it interesting.

3. My crew would not be readily distinguishable from standard StarFleet Personnel - again, not to attract unwarranted attention.

Great ideas so far!

Gunnie: To the best of my knowledge,no one has done a model of a
Starfleet vessel with a black paint scheme.This'll (hopefully) be a first.

Even though a cloaking device will render the ship invisible to sensors,
the "Mk 1 Eyeball" will always pose a problem.Besides,a black paint scheme
adds a certain sinister appearance.

The object is...Depart unseen.Return un-noticed.

Voyager-74656: I didn't think SECTION 31 was around until the time of the Enterprise-D.Hmmm....

Last edited by U-boater; 12-22-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah... I'm the Fat Guy

Quote:
Voyager-74656: I didn't think SECTION 31 was around until the time of the Enterprise-D.Hmmm....
Actually, I've got the set of Section 31 books...

One from each era.

If you followed Enterprise at all, when Malcom was thrown into the brig for refusing to divuldge information to Archer, he was working for Section 31 as well...

I disagree.

Last edited by Voyager-74656; 12-22-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-74656 View Post
Actually, I've got the set of Section 31 books...

One from each era.

If you followed Enterprise at all, when Malcom was thrown into the brig for refusing to divuldge information to Archer, he was working for Section 31 as well...

I never really followed ENTERPRISE. I didn't know Section 31 went back that far in the time-line.

The concept of the ship/operations in COBALT BLUE is based on operations carried out during the Vietnam War known as The Phoenix
Program,and activities conducted by MAC/V/SOG during that conflict.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge,no one has done a model of a Starfleet vessel with a black paint scheme.This'll (hopefully) be a first.
I painted my Monogram Voyager black. I was told more or less that I was stupid. Well. Fuck them. I like it

this is a great idea U-boater!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
I painted my Monogram Voyager black. I was told more or less that I was stupid. Well. Fuck them. I like it

this is a great idea U-boater!

Well........Shit. So much for being a "first".

STUPID!? WHY!? I think most of you know my feelings about how
any of you choose to do your builds.

I don't suppose you have any photos?

Actually,my build will be a very dark gray. I'm still thinking about
blacking out the view ports and navigation lights.

Any ideas on how to black out/supress the light from the impulse crystal
and nav deflector?