Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 09-03-2008, 11:55 AM

adama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for the U-Boat and Ship guys

So I am researching the boat that brought my Grandmother from Iceland to the US in 1944, to marry my Grandfather. A native Icelander marrying a US GI from a British father and German mother, as WWII is still at full-bore. Makes your head spin. Anyway, as a kid, I remembered her talking about the convoy, and how the endured a U-boat attack... but her ship survived. The Dettifoss:

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/3448.html

Here's the crazy thing - U-1064 sank the ship a couple of months later in early 1945! And here's 1064!!

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/m...15-p-4389.html

So here's my question - anyone know what that Dettifoss is, exactly? Steamer, right? And the U-boat - it's a VIIC... what's the best VIIC model out there?

I want to eventually model an "Adversary set"...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM

JohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Question for the U-Boat and Ship guys

By the look of the photo at u-boat.net, she look like a coastal steamer. Used to haul goods and people from port to port. The style of the ship reminds me of what they used to call a tramp steamer. Don't know if that will help much? but there it is.
Good Luck -John
Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM

adama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond reputeadama has a reputation beyond repute

Every little bit helps - awesome! So my grandma came to the US on the Millennium Falcon of her day. Sweet.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Kit Assembler

bg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to behold

Adama, what scale are we talking? I assume 1/72 is out due to there being few merchant ships in that scale? (obvious choice for VIIC in that size though being Revell).

There is also a snippet about Detifoss on this page http://www.ubootwaffe.net/ops/ships.cgi?boat=1064;nr=1

Cheers, JT
Old 09-04-2008, 05:29 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Adama,
When I first heard of the Dettifoss I thought of WWII Liberty ships which were patterned after Tramp Steamers themselves but they displaced over 14,000 tons so although there are 1/350th models of them by Trumpeter I guess they'd be WAY TOO big as a basis? That would have been nice though since there are now 1/350th U-boat VIIc models by Flagman. Now in that popular scale a U-boat is only appx 7 3/4" long but still lends itself to detailing and dioramas very nicely. 1/400th is a popular ship scale too and U-boats are available from Mirage at appx. 6 1/2" in length. But I'm not aware of a match for the 'steamer' in any scale from my limited knowledge of possible matches for it?
More basic details of the Dettifoss might help though- besides displacement, the length, beam etc?

Good luck. I like these kind of projects with a personal tie to history!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 AM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

You might consider trying 1/700 scale.

There are a number of 700 scale U-boats, and transport vessels that could
be converted to resemble the Dentifoss.

Tiny, I know, but it might be worth a shot.

Good luck and good hunting!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 AM
suki5150

suki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of All

Revell 1/72nd is a nice kit with plenty of aftermarket stuff for her.

Cheers,
Chris.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

For resources, try the National Archives photo archives at College Park, Maryland. They have researchers who will do a limited search for you. Also try the Smithsonian records of ship plans and photos.

Then, scratchbuild it! That's the fun part! Good luck!