Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Griffworks

Default WIP's: 1/2500 Trek Models

Here are several of my slightly older projects. I had posted this info at another forum or two before, so if you've seen these, don't be surprised. I don't exactly have as much time to work on models this time around as last, as it turns out - after Wife sent me a box of parts to dabble with....

Anyhow, here you go.

The general understatement of the year, as almost every one of these is a WIP! I've got well over 100 Federation ships there, w/all about 8 or so unfinished. Hey, at least it's no longer a uniform Primer Grey color, right?

New Klingon Battle Station made from various bits-n-pieces/parts. The "head" is from a 1/6 scale Nomad resin-cast model (a "seconds" part), part of the central "body" is also from the same Nomade donor. The lower most section is the bottom section of a Lunar Lander, tho I have no clue what kit, as I received it in very poor condition - just that bottom section - in a lot of stuff I picked up somewhere (maybe another Resin Drop at a past WonderFest?).

Added a pair of "seconds" castings from the Federation Models Romulan Scout. I picked these up at the Resin Drop at a past WonderFest - or maybe at LesterFest in '06. Don't recall for sure. Anyhow, I couldn't stand those guns mounted on the tips of the wings as the kit was designed, so popped 'em off and replaced them. Obviously a WIP.

Another ongoing WIP. This one is the basic Romulan Warbird from the ERTL Adversary Set (Warbird, Klingon BoP and Ferengi Marauder). I added a pair of the old Ravestar Studios (who still owned the masters when I bought the donor kit) Starfire-class Romulan starship. I started this one a couple years back, but only recently dug it up and glued the nacelles on. I plan to do some more detailing of the ventral surface area, giving it a bit more "meat", overall.

I also plan to do some more work to the "head" area to alter it's apperance a bit more so that it doesn't look exactly like a D'Deridex-class Warbird, only scaled down. It's meant to be a Lost Era design, maybe a predecessor to the D'Deridex itself. I've not really fleshed out a back story just yet.

I had snapped pics of a few others the day before I left and then DL'd them to my Thumb Drive. I'll get some of them up slowly to my Pics Gallery at Hobby Talk and post them, as well.

So, there you go, for now. Constructive criticism and comments welcome.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Griffworks

More pics. I took these the day before I left for Over Here and saved them to my Thumb Drive. Just didn't have time to load them to my FTP space, so had to add these to my Hobby Talk gallery for now. My gallery page at Hobby Talk.

The pics, with included commentary. These are of a major mod I made to a "seconds" casting of the VA Mini's Warlock-class battlecruiser:

Link to first pic

As always, constructive comments and criticisms welcome.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Whoah dude...That's a lot of cool ships.

I truly can't offer any comments and criticisms, as I don't think there's much to add. It's a tough scale and relies on a lot of concentration and getting the detail right, and on this level, it's something totally beyond my capabilities for sure.

I'm liking the Romulan Scout a lot. The nacelles look just this side of big, but once they are painted I'm sure the dimensions will fall into place with the rest of the ship as they look fine from the front pic.

I guess all I can add is a curiosity to see where decals may enhance the details, (as you mention in your album, also, for example the front of the Klingon ship in the battle station pic). But I imagine that's the plan and on hold til you get back anyway.

I like it a lot and thanks for sharing.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Griffworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider
Whoah dude...That's a lot of cool ships.

I truly can't offer any comments and criticisms, as I don't think there's much to add. It's a tough scale and relies on a lot of concentration and getting the detail right, and on this level, it's something totally beyond my capabilities for sure.
Thanks, and no it's not. It just takes patience, like any other scale of model. The main difference is that any mistakes at this scale are a lot more obvious to the eye. A bit example of this is the pylon and nacelle alignment - you can spot it from across the room even on a model as small as these.
Quote:
I guess all I can add is a curiosity to see where decals may enhance the details, (as you mention in your album, also, for example the front of the Klingon ship in the battle station pic). But I imagine that's the plan and on hold til you get back anyway.
For the decals, they work best for those ships that have hull plating or a deflector grid pattern, such as the K'T'Inga w/the hull plates and the Federation ships w/a deflector grid pattern. That's especially true of the Refit, E-B and like Fed ships that are under 5" long.
Quote:
I like it a lot and thanks for sharing.
You're welcome and thank you for the compliments and questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech
I've said it before, I'll say it again..

I will never catch up to you. The sheer number of models, cripes!
Yeah you can. Patience and lots of Karma Bombs, Jon. That and saving up for things that you really, really want. I've always wanted to be able to display a large fleet of ships and at 1/2500 scale I can have a massive fleet!

And speakin' of Karma Bombs... I think I've got something at the house for you. I'd put together a bunch of them, but didn't have a chance to mail them out before I left, what w/the move and packing.
Quote:
Someday, I'd like to see that collection in person. Finished.
You and me both!

And any time you're in my neck of the woods, all you've got to do is to let me know and I'll be more'n happy to invite you in, as well as take you and yours out to lunch/dinner.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Griffworks

I don't much care if those people don't like me. They're inconsequential in the Grand Scheme of Things.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

Hell yeah! I wish I had a shipyard like that - very cool!

I've never tried 2500th before, but it sure looks like a lot of fun!

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...