Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future
Default Re: Runabout landing pad and bay

At times I feel like every time I take two steps for ward I have to take 3 back! the "Lifts" I built were no where near strong enough to hold the weight of the platform let alone the Runabout model with all of the resin inside it. So I had to beef them up. Duncans suggested Balsa wood. I actually got a sheet of 1/8th inch birch plywood. I cut out a shape that matched the inner part of the lift. I then sandwiched the plywood with more styrene. I need to sand the edges to get then smooth and even. My plan is to cover the seams with Aves. That should hide all of the plywood. I will post pictures when I have finished modifications.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

After a crazy week and a flurry of activity on our house. I was finally able to get to work on the runabout bay. Everything was primed and I even got a coat of paint on!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:17 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekmanscott, M,Ed. View Post
After a crazy week and a flurry of activity on our house. I was finally able to get to work on the runabout bay. Everything was primed and I even got a coat of paint on!
Laying down that first coat of paint is a big milestone
Old 03-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Lurker

Thanks Dave,
I have to get the model wrapped up by the end of April so getting some paint on today was a really big deal!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Lurker

Okay, I finally have some pictures of paint on the model!

The lifts are painted with Alclad Steel

The bay is painted

So is the elevator

And the doors are too

I also got the rear wall detail part painted

I hope to get some paint on the Runabout this weekend...
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Lurker

I got some good work done on the model today. I placed the landing pad painting mask on top of the lift to prep that for painting. I had a little bit of trouble getting the mask lined up straight. That has nothing to do with the mask I think it was the size of the mask. But, with some patience I got it on straight. I did some pre shading on the runabout and then I sprayed the basecoat. I used a color called French Light Blue Gray. More pictures to come as the project continues.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

JUST BECAUSEOF YOU, I got a set of DLM's orange Runabout parts.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Lurker

LOL! Don's parts are second to none!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:13 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Excellente!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Lurker

I had most of the day to myself so I was able to get a lot done on the model today. I did some detail work on the Runabout.

I still have some detail painting to do but I like how the model is looking.

The painting mask was done by Lou Dalmasso. It worked great! I wanted the red and yellow of the platform to really stand out so sprayed a coat of white down first. Then I sprayed a couple light coats of yellow and after it was dry a couple coats of red. I had no issues with paint bleeding under the mask. I really like how the Runabout pad looks.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:34 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

looks great!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Den Mother

Mark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond reputeMark Yungblut has a reputation beyond repute

That is lookin' GREAT I am looking forward to seeing this at WF!

Well done Scott!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Lurker

Thanks Guys I appreciate the kind words!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Lurker

Small update, no pictures. I began painting the airlock doors which will be an interesting process because of all of the colors and layers involved. I also painted the big "garage" doors for the right and left of the bay. I also masked off the corrugated area of the warp nacelles, and the RCS thrusters so I could spray them with RAF Trainer Yellow. The next step will be mask off all of the phaser banks. They are small but there are a lot of them. I hope to get that done tonight.

I also sprayed the landing pad with a coat of flat. I need to get another rattle can of it, but I think the London Gray looks better flattened, rather than glossy. So the whole bay will need to be flattened. I glued the two parts of the pad lifts together. I need to get two more pieces of brass tubing to make the cross braces. Once the bracing is done I can glue the lifts to the pad.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekmanscott, M,Ed. View Post
I also sprayed the landing pad with a coat of flat. I need to get another rattle can of it, but I think the London Gray looks better flattened, rather than glossy. So the whole bay will need to be flattened.
Yep.