Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future
Default Re: Runabout landing pad and bay

I have been working on the runabout. I really want the lights to be bright. To do the nacelles I used a technique that I have used before. I sanded the outside of an acrylic rod. Then I drilled a hole in each end. I placed a blue LED inside each end of the rod. This is like a poor man's neon tube.

I sanded down a white LEDs to be placed at the end of each nacelle. I also sanded down a 3mm green and red LED for the position lights. Two red LEDs light the bussard collectors. The impulse engines were a bit of a challenge I had to drill out and sand the inside of each engine.

I also had to cut out the area behind each engine. I sanded 2 3mm red LEDs flat and glued the into place. For the impulse intakes I used the DLM resin replacement parts. To use these parts I had to cut out the front of the supporting piece. I used two amber LEDs to light the intakes.

To light the aft cabin I drilled 3 holes and glued 3 white LEDs into the holes.

Once I get the furniture and figures inside I think it will look great.

I really wanted the cockpit to be really bright so I drilled 7 holes and added White LEDs to each hole.

I am pleased with my progress so far. I bought a strobe chip from a model railroading site that will strobe the white LEDs on the end of the nacelles and on top of the ship. I still need to do some work on the inside of the cockpit before I seal up the ship.

Last edited by Trekmanscott, M,Ed.; 01-26-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Damn....looks cool so far!

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

That is all kinds of impressive, Scott
Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Like the light work. Cool idea on the acrylic rod too.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 01-26-2014, 04:37 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Looking good!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

I have done a little more with the runabout. I glued the Vac formed windows into the top main hull. I also glued the crew figures in the chairs. I then glued the chairs to the deck.

I also glued the crew and furniture to the deck in the aft cabin.

I also glued the warp field grilles and bussard collectors into the nacelles before I glued the 2 halves together. Then I glued the outer pylon cover on. I also masked off the clear parts

I masked off all of the windows and I also masked off the LEDs with liquid mask.

I have also been doing some work on the maintenance bay. I sliced the hell out of one of my fingers today cutting parts out for it
Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

I'm not suprised----the last time I cut myself modeling was on this blasted runabout. Launched a No#11 through my index finger. 13 internal stitches and 7 external and nerve damage in the tip of my figure.

Stupid model.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Lurker

Work on the project continues. I finished assembly on the nacelles and pylons. I filled the seams with Aves Fixit putty. After the putty cured. I sanded it and the seams smooth. I glued the aft cabin and cockpit into the top fuselage piece. I wired all the positive and negative wires to common poles. A test fit showed that the cockpit was not meeting the floor real well. I had to shave down the edge of the one side of the resin panels to get a nice tight fit. Hopefully this weekend I can get the fuselage glued together.

Edit:

Here are some pictures as to how the project looks right now. Actually I am amazed how it all seems to be coming together.
This is the column I built for the back of the bay. I'm planning on running all of the wires through it.

These are the support columns for the balcony. Now I just need to figure out how to light them...

I tried to get the doors to look similar to the doors form the set pieces. These are not identical but I think They look okay.

I still need to glue the fuselage together but here is an overview shot of the project

I still need to make the round airlock doors. I also have styrene bits I made to detail the walls

Last edited by Trekmanscott, M,Ed.; 02-06-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Lurker

Work continues on the Runabout. The nacelle assemblies were glued to the fuselage. The bulkheads for the cockpit and aft cabin were glued into place. I attached the position lights to the effects chip. I attached all of the wires to the positive and negative poles and soldered the ends of each pole so nothing would come loose. Finally I covered each pole with electrical tape.

I drilled a hole into the bottom of the fuselage. I used and xacto knife to gradually make the hole bigger so I could screw the female end of the power hookup. This is something I have never tried before. But this set up will allow me to remove the Runabout from the Launch pad for transport and perhaps for a smaller display.

another view of the jack.

Finally I glued the two halves of the fuselage together. The power jack can be seen in this picture as well. I mounted to flush with the bottom of the hull.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Lurker

Construction on the Runabout has been completed!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Lurker

While the Runabout is in the paint booth for priming I did some work on the landing bay. I built the round airlock doors

I also made some man doors and the cargo style doors.

Here are some overview shoots of the bay

I am almost ready to begin wiring the bay for lighting.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Lurker

After 2 coats of primer and some light sanding the Runabout is now ready for paint. It looks real ominous right now.

Since we were off of school today I took the runabout bay apart and skinned every part with sheet styrene. Now I just have to put it all back together...
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 PM
My ass is itchy...

Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Lurker

Since I finished construction on the Runabout I have focused my attention on the landing pad. I didn't like the corrugated look of the campaign signs, so I skinned the inside and outside of the bay with styrene. Then I glued the bay together. I filled all of the seams with Aves. I sprayed the detail bits inside the bay with primer to prepare them for lighting. I also shot the Runabout with a coat of white primer to prepare it for painting.

Finally I went to Michael's and bought a cheap wooden trinket box. My plan is for this to become my external battery box. I had to remove some silly detail and cover up some wooden flowers but it was the perfect size for what I need.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 PM
My ass is itchy...

Twelve AAA's ?

Looking good!