Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 PM

shaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud of
Default Whitestar

Ok, with the SR-71 done, on to the next project. This one is going to be the Warp Models Whitestar model. This is just the placeholder post for thumbnail attachments.

- Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3861.jpg (556.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by shaihulud_42; 05-18-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:20 PM

shaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud of
Default Babylon 5 Whitestar

Ok, just starting out here today with basic parts cleanup. As you can see in the attached photos, there's a lot to clean up. I've gotten most of it cleaned up, but of course due to the brittle nature of this resin, some pieces have broken beyond how it arrived in the box so I'm repairing that currently. The upper section is particularly bad with a large structural deficiency in the resin. When trying to remove all the flash, it snapped in a few pieces so they are going to take the longest, but I plan to fill it in with some basic epoxy and fill in as needed.

- Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2136_web.jpg (1.03 MB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2137_web.jpg (1.02 MB, 59 views)
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Babylon 5 Whitestar

Is this an old kit you're just getting to or did you purchase it recently? The warp kits have a reputation for poor quality resin but I'm wondering if they've made any improvements lately.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhs View Post
Is this an old kit you're just getting to or did you purchase it recently? The warp kits have a reputation for poor quality resin but I'm wondering if they've made any improvements lately.
I bought this kit last fall, but it doesn't have any indication of manufacture date. It could have been sitting on a shelf for a few months or a years. My guess is that they haven't made any improvements.

Otherwise just a slight update here; I've cleaned most all the pieces. Still working to repair the fractured one (you can see the damage in the attached photo). I've gotten the Gizmotron decals for the set, but I think they look a bit too blue, so I'll probably have to do some modifications to get the color right. This is also going to make this an odd assembly challenge, since even when trying to dry fit everything, I still am going to have to make seam repairs when I put things together. When everything is assembled though, some of the decal placement points are near impossible to get to. So I'm working ahead and trying to figure the best way to proceed.

As a general question to anyone out here with a experience with the "white metal" type castings that are included with this kit. Do you just use a file to clean up the flash that came from the mould or a different cleanup tool? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

- Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2269_web.jpg (1.23 MB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2272_web.jpg (1.08 MB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2281_web.jpg (1.31 MB, 57 views)
Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Well I've done some more work on this and its nearly there, though still working to clean up the joints. Nothing on this model seems to fit together exactly right so it takes some filler all over the place and awkward sanding to get it done, but slowly but surely its getting there. Finally got the top piece repaired and now its just smoothing out the finish.

- Ryan

Note: I didn't have my SLR handy for these shots so forgive the p/s photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_0793_web.jpg (1.45 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_0804_web.jpg (1.30 MB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_0805_web.jpg (1.37 MB, 21 views)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Here's a slight update on this effort. Basically ready for some primer once I do a little more edge cleanup/smoothing. Then comes the fun/hard part of painting this beast.

- Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2356_web.jpg (1.12 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2353_web.jpg (1.25 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2354_web.jpg (1.14 MB, 38 views)
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Whitestar

Ok, well been a while since I put an update on here... I've been quite busy with some work, traveling etc. In the course of that time, been slowly working to get this beast cleaned up to start painting. I think its nearly there. This has taken several iterations of sanding, bondo, sanding, more bondo, repeat over and over to fill in the pores on this resin and get the model smooth. As I said, I think I'm nearly there, just a few last spots to touch up. I'm ok with some texture remaining since the ship is somewhat organic in nature so something other than perfectly smooth isn't completely bad.

Also had to fix some issues with parts being straight - couldn't get the hot water and bending the resin to work with this resin so required some building up with bondo and reshaping.

- Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3340_web.jpg (1.58 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3346_web.jpg (1.20 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3627_web.jpg (1.17 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3628_web.jpg (1.08 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4087_web.jpg (1.13 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4091_web.jpg (1.21 MB, 32 views)
Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I still smoothed, sanded, smoothed, sanded again a bit since that previous update, but now I think (cross fingers) that I'm done trying to fix every little imperfection in this. I'll never get anywhere if I keep trying that. Put on the first base coat of chrome silver... next will be some gray washing to tone it down a bit, then the adding of some of the lines, and then the decals. I purchased the Gizmo decals, but the color seems too blue to me, so I've adjusted them and will print my own for this build. Hopefully will turn out the color I'm looking for and then with the underlay "organic" lines she should turn out nicely.

- Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4140_web.jpg (1.09 MB, 34 views)
Old 11-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Well over a year and no real work on this. Partially true, partially not. Things got swamped at work, and then moved halfway across the country, and finally getting back into the swing of things. This is where the model is as of right now. Basically took the Gizmotron decals and recolored them since it felt like they were too blue to me. When printing on the off the shelf Testors DIY decal sheets, things are a bit too thick. Got a few on, but even with decal softener solutions, still can't get them to completely "fade" into the model like I'd like on the edges. It might be hard to see with how I resized the images for the web, but the edges of the decal film are clearly visible. So working a few options for that, but here's where she sits right now until I have a better decal solution. Needless to say, I don't consider myself good enough to even attempt to airbrush this paint scheme so that's not a viable solution at the moment.

- Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8269_web.jpg (945.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8271_web.jpg (825.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8274_web.jpg (1,022.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM

katana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud of

You've done a great job assembling,but the question is do you want a stock Whitestar?

Doesn't mean you can't make it a Ranger WS,or some other Army of Light faction?

Different paint schemes.

Last edited by katana2001; 11-28-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana2001 View Post
You've done a great job assembling,but the question is do you want a stock Whitestar?

Doesn't mean you can't make it a Ranger WS,or some other Army of Light faction?

Different paint schemes.
Very fair point, but in the end, I'm going for the stock Whitestar look. I considered adding the B5 patch that one sees on them in... Season 4 of the show if I remember right. Also, given the Earth-Minbari construction techniques used to build the ship, I would guess they all have a similar color/organic skin nature in the first place. But I'm merely hypothesizing on that part of course.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

nice work and nice snaps. There's obviously only 1 option regarding the different paint schemes - you need to do at least 7 more whitestars
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 AM

WardogZ New face in the crowd

Hi, i'm new here, was very interested in your thread as I too have been building the warp models 'whitestar' along with the warp models 'Battlecrab'. Both are just about ready for painting now, but i'll post some pics just as soon as I figure out how. And your right, the models are definately NOT of a high quality.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 AM