Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-15-2013, 05:12 PM

solobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moebius Viper MK II

Just getting started on my MK II with photoetch and lighting. Making my own lighting from a $2 set of battery operated xmas lights and using fibre optics as well mainly for the cockpit. Will be a bit of trial and error but should be able to work it out.
Progress so far.

viper mk 2.png

viper mkII 01.JPG

viper mkII 02.JPG

viper mkII 03.JPG

viper mk II 04.JPG

viper mk II 05.JPG
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM

jake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of lightjake88 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moebius Viper MK II

I will be watching this one. Looks very cool so far! I love the Viper!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 AM

solobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of lightsolobob is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Jake.
Some more progress. Must say not looking forward to final assembly on this one. Did a dry fit to see how the engine area fits together to be able to work out the best way to fit the lights. Surely there could have been a better way to make this area fit together. Oh well.

Engine cans cut and filed, with photoetch inserted. Added extra piping that will be removed and fixed back in place after painting.
viper 001.JPG

viper 004.JPG

viper 005.JPG

Have added the backlight film for instruments using Microscale Krystal Clear and piping above seat. Also filled the small holes with Krystal clear mixed with food colouring (red, green and blue). Very impressed with the outcome. Seems very similar to pva glue, would be worthwhile experimenting.
viper 010.JPG

viper 006.JPG

viper 007.JPG

viper 009.JPG

Just starting to figure out how and where to put the lighting now, will probably run fibre optics to light the cockpit.

Stay tuned and thanks for looking.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM

cjsbosox will become famous soon enoughcjsbosox will become famous soon enough

Nice work so far. I am almost at the exact point in my kit
Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the compliment. Be interested to see your progress as well.
Just a small update as I've been preoccupied with this.
I have ordered a 1/350th scale Minicraft Deluxe Titanic along with all the available photoetch. Waiting for that my wife saw this #D Titanic puzzle and bought it for me for fathers day. LOL.

titanic and viper 016.JPG

titanic and viper 022.JPG

Will start a thread in Misc. Models and add the link.http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=15164

Anyway.
Really scratching my head on the best way to do the lighting for the engines on this one, so started other assemblies to get a better idea of how that area will fit together. Thinking of using individual cylinders for each light to seal them up as it seems there would be a lot of light leak without them due to the way it all goes together.

Assembled the wings and vertical stabilizer and tidied up and levelled the seams. Added some 1/32 scale aircraft weapon barrels to the guns as well, not sure if I'm happy with the outcome though. Opinions?

titanic and viper 001.JPG

titanic and viper 002.JPG

titanic and viper 009.JPG

Back to the bench for me and thanks for looking.

Last edited by solobob; 09-04-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Hi all, just a quick progress update.

Did more work on the cockpit, decals and touch ups. Given up on using the cheapo xmas lights, they throw the light out to the sides more than in front. Ordered a selection of LED's from here http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ last night so will be waiting for those to progress with the lighting.

viper 002.JPG

viper 008.JPG

Got the shits with the photoetch for the engines, just couldn't get them to sit long enough for the glue to dry and wasn't happy with their 2D look. So I made my own from a stripped paperclip and copper core wire. Not happy with the quantity of excess glue but using a pin to place the drops was either too small or too large a drop.
viper 004.JPG

viper 005.JPG

Wing assemblies waiting for paint. Wasn't going to light the tips and then changed my mind after the superglue. Fun running the optics through but got there, will trim once painted.

viper 006.JPG

viper 007.JPG

Next will be the pilot and start priming and light blocking.

In other news I ordered the photoetch kits for the Pegasus.
Received the R.M.S. Titanic model and some of the extra photoetch and brass propellers for that, more still to come.

Thanks for looking, Baz.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 AM

Just a quickie.
Primer started, still waiting for LED's to arrive.

viper mkII 025.JPG

viper mkII 026.JPG

I always feel sorry for these guys when I prep them for painting but considering what he's doing - Shame on Him!

viper mkII 027.JPG

viper mkII 028.JPG

viper mkII 029.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Cheers, Baz.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Your build is looking great. Nice work with the PE.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 AM

Thanks for your compliment. It feels good to finally get some painting done.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Lookin' Good! MOARPLZ!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:46 AM

Cheers, got the fuselage primed along with other small bits. Seems that something called WORK is getting in the way of progress at the moment. Who thought that one up.
Still waiting for the LED's to come in as well.
I did get my Pegasus PE in the post yesterday so can't wait to start that too.
Yours is looking very sweet.
Oh well, back off to work for me.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 PM

A glorious beacon of light. LOL That sounds promising.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:06 PM

Hi all. Well, thought I was making some progress as my LED"s arrived in the mail (which are awesome) and started finalising the cockpit when an unassuming drop of thinners decided to land on the main screen.
My quick rescue efforts saved the paint but has wiped all the detail out of the backlight film.
I just sent ParaGraghics an email, hopefully they can help me out.
Man, just my luck.

I need a smoke!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:41 PM

Just like to give a big shout out to Paul from ParaGraphics for his quick response and excellent after sales care for my dilemma, progress can now continue.

Also, very impressed with the lights I received from here http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ledlights1.html

Highly recommend these for people who would like to light their model/s but are unsure of what is needed. Takes all the guess work out of resisters and fiddly soldering. Just decide on your power supply and order what's needed. There's no way I could even buy the parts for the price of these let alone already assembled.
May even make a quick video on what I got and how I'm using it. With these products all that's left to do is engineer the model to accept the lights. You'll only be limited by your imagination but there is plenty of reference material on this site to get you through.
After all, that's how I learnt. Thanks to all who have shared.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 AM

Hi all. Back on track after receiving the replacement light film. Big thank you to Paul. I have the cockpit finalised and will soon be assembling. Just have to finalise the engine lights and main power.
Ended up rebuilding the main screen area as well, seeing the photoetch panel snapped.

viper mkII 031.JPG

viper mkII 032.JPG

viper mkII 034.JPG

viper mkII 035.JPG

viper mkII 036.JPG

viper mkII 037.JPG

viper mkII 038.JPG

viper mkII 039.JPG

viper mkII 040.JPG

viper mkII 041.JPG

Thanks for looking. Baz.