Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 09-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Fear is the Mind Killer.

Padawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati God
Default J7W2 Shinden Interceptor

Here are some work in progress pics of my Hasegawa 1/48 J7W1 Shinden IJN Interceptor.

This is a really interesting airplane. Originally intended for jet power, the jet engine program lagged behind this plane's development. So instead of waiting around for the engine, two piston driven prototypes were built, and two short test flights were conducted before the war ended. It was envisioned as a land based interceptor used to attack B-29's at high altitude. It was to be fitted with four 30mm cannons! Due to it's pusher-prop configuration, it's designers were able to concentrate all of its armaments into it's nose like a P-38, so no converging fire to worry about. One of the prototypes was captured and shipped back to the states for research. It still exists, awaiting restoration in a hanger of the Smithsonian.

Once I learned that this plane was designed to be a jet, I decided to build it in that configuration. The kit was, how to put it gently, awful. It is a very old Hasegawa kit, so it was not up to the company's modern reputation for quality. The panel lines were raised, the detail was very soft, and the fit was really bad in a number of places. But since I was going to be conducting major surgery anyway, I didn't care.

So far the panel lines have been scribed, the cockpit has been super detailed and painted for installation, and the fuselage fairings have been streamlined to accommodate the replacement of the piston engine with the jet. The air intakes on the sides have been enlarged to feed the jet, and a bulkhead with the nose of the compressor has been scratch-build to go inside. Also an exhaust can from who-knows-what has been added to the back. Other minor changes have been made like shortening the bottoms of the tails so that the drag wheels could be eliminated.

It's almost ready for final assembly and painting. I'm going to paint it up very similar to the A6M2 Zero I did a while back, but with some fictitious squadron and kill markings on it. Sort of an IJN '46 concept. Since it's the unbuilt jet version, I'm calling it a J7W2.

P@T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00633.JPG (207.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00634.JPG (210.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00631.JPG (232.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 042.JPG (248.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 046.JPG (259.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 045.JPG (229.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 047.JPG (254.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 048.JPG (282.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 049.JPG (266.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 051.JPG (228.5 KB, 28 views)

My model club: www.fpkclub.com

"Pat is more like a good explosion. First, you wonder what the hell happened. Then, you realize what it was. Then, you often find yourself wishing it would happen again, depending on the target." LDB

Last edited by Padawan v 2.5; 09-21-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: J7W2 Shinden Interceptor

a canard configuration is always impressive - especially if it is going back a few years. Looking fwd to your progress
Old 09-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Fear is the Mind Killer.

Padawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati GodPadawan v 2.5 Resin Illuminati God

That's why I took a liking to the model. Just think of a few squadrons of these things shooting their way through fleets of Superfortresses. It wasn't that far off either. Japan actually flew a domestically produced jet prototype towards the end of the war. They never got an operational jet fighter like Germany and Britain did, but they weren't that far behind.

P@T

"Pat is more like a good explosion. First, you wonder what the hell happened. Then, you realize what it was. Then, you often find yourself wishing it would happen again, depending on the target." LDB
Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Fear is the Mind Killer.

Here's an update. The model has been glued together at this point and most of the surface details that were lost in the process of scribing panel lines, like the nav lights, have been restored.

I'm doing this up as a hypothetical fighter that saw service if the war had gone into 46'. So I'm going to do a heavy chipping job to replicate the poor adhesion quality of Japanese paint of the period. To do this, I use a salt masking method.

The first picture shows the black primer coat that goes down first. Next comes a coat of Alclad dark aluminum. Because I use enamels for the final coat, I seal the aluminum coat with Future, which is acrylic. This prevents the aluminum finish bleeding through and makes chipping easier.

Next I apply water with a small brush to areas I want to mask, then sprinkle ordinary table salt. Next comes preshading the panel lines with flat black.

After that comes the base colors. I try to shoot base coats as quickly as I can after preshading, the less time the black has to dry, the better bleed through you'll get. Since the Japanese roundel is so simple, and since the kit's decals didn't come with any squadron numbers, I've decided to entirely forgo them and airbrush all of the markings.

BTW, does anyone have some good photos of Japanese kill markings?

P@T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101.JPG (243.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 103.JPG (216.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 104.JPG (228.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 106.JPG (230.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 107.JPG (221.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 108.JPG (240.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 111.JPG (294.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 112.JPG (295.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 110.JPG (248.1 KB, 37 views)

Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM

PetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant futurePetarB has a brilliant future

Always loved the Shinden, and a jet powered version? That's just nuts! Looking forwards to seeing this finished.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Fear is the Mind Killer.

Here are the rest of the markings airbrushed and hand painted onto the plane. All that is left is to spray a flat coat, chip off the salt masking, and some pastel chalk weathering.

P@T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030.JPG (275.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 031.JPG (260.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 032.JPG (256.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 033.JPG (249.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 034.JPG (208.2 KB, 22 views)

Old 10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Thumbs up Re: J7W2 Shinden Interceptor

nice work P@t. How many hours a day would you say on average you'd work on it?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Fear is the Mind Killer.

I have a pretty short attention span some days. I don't think I have more than thirty hours into this over the last two months.

P@T

Old 05-22-2010, 12:53 PM

bar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond reputebar has a reputation beyond repute

Are we there yet?
Come gather round people, wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown, and accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone. If your time to you is worth saving, then you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone, cause the times they are a changin'
e-mail(And msn Messenger): vipermark7@googlemail.com
Old 05-25-2010, 05:36 AM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

Made me regret selling off this kit a while back for peanuts! Looking good!

B
Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 AM

captain az will become famous soon enoughcaptain az will become famous soon enough

Nice subject, Padawan. I see your house is a lot like mine - junk everywhere.
Hope to see some final glossy 8x10's soon.