Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 12-26-2019, 09:42 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1/48 Eagle Pan Am Tycho Clipper

Yeah sweet! Im really looking forward to seeing what you do with the passenger pod and you've definitely got my interest when you mentioned a different engine shroud.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:31 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

I've had a few moments to circle back to the Eagle with some concept work on redesigning the passenger pod as well as a streamlined engine fairing. A couple of slightly different engine variants here:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 01-15-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:50 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

I really like passenger pod and think you should definitely make it. I'm perhaps not quite as sold on the thruster design though. To me personally, it looks a little too "stuck on" and doesn't seem to flow somehow. The shape is pretty cool but I reckon it could be shortened a bit maybe. Or, how about 2 smaller ones instead of 1 big one?

Last edited by Madhatter; 01-15-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:21 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Good redesign on the passenger pod. I like the new look to it.

But the streamlined bell, as MadH, looks like something off of a different ship.
Maybe keep the streamlined housing just over the pipes, but reverse the angle, and leave the bells exposed..? I think a lot of the appeal of the design is in those iconic engine bells.

Still some great work. In the Admiral we trust!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 01-16-2020, 09:19 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Thanks guys!

Yes, I'm not quite where I want to be with the engine shroud. I also envision this as an entirely new engine and not simply putting an aerodynamic fairing over the original. So, the quest continues to creating one that flows with the rest of the design.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:09 PM

Any chance of casting the new pod? I'd buy one!!

I keep looking at the engine bell and to balance it out, you'd maybe need to add fairing to some of the cage. A single solid bell may not be the right look.
However, I'm not as visionary as you are when it comes to design asthetics, so as Thom rightly said, in the Admiral we trust.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:33 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Ah, a whole new engine assembly! Have you thought of incorporating vectored thrust? Maybe something similar to the F-22 or the Cosmo Falcon from SBY?

Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
Any chance of casting the new pod? I'd buy one!!

I keep looking at the engine bell and to balance it out, you'd maybe need to add fairing to some of the cage. A single solid bell may not be the right look.
However, I'm not as visionary as you are when it comes to design asthetics, so as Thom rightly said, in the Admiral we trust.
Iím not certain how I will approach the mastering of the passenger pod yet. It might be easier to scratchbuild one facade and cast it or 3D print the side panels and assemble the rest of the box in styrene. Will know more as we get closer to that stage. But, yes! Iím happy to share whatever comes of it.

Yup. Iíve been sketching all sorts of ideas on the engine pod and several include a blended fairing to the cage and beyond. But, keeping it looking modular like the rest of the Eagle is tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
Ah, a whole new engine assembly! Have you thought of incorporating vectored thrust? Maybe something similar to the F-22 or the Cosmo Falcon from SBY?
Thanks for that suggestion Thom! Iím definitely now looking at some vectored thrust ideas and grabbed some reference pics of the Cosmos. I am considering some minor updates to the RCS thruster assemblies on the ends of each landing gear pod. Again, another fairing to smooth that out a bit.

Additionally, the beak is getting a slight extension aft to allow for more cockpit and flight crew room. I hope to post some new concept art next week.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:24 PM

Very cool! Can't wait to see them.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:59 PM

I'm keen to see how much you've extended the beak as I had a similar thought to how I'll do mine when ever I get to it.
I also thought I'd look into a canopy of sorts for the front windows. Something like this:

https://www.deviantart.com/jefferywr...edux-160189136

I'm also stoked to hear you'll share - thank you!
Looking forward to seeing more of this and your desigs
Old 01-28-2020, 06:56 AM
All ahead full

Had a few minutes yesterday after returning back to work following a week of needed vacation to mock up some ideas for the beak extension:

More fun! Tweaked the beak fairings some more and added some suggested ones to the tops of the landing pods:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 01-28-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:13 PM

I really like the extensions added there.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM

torgg will become famous soon enoughtorgg will become famous soon enoughtorgg will become famous soon enough

You know at first I was not all that keen on the neck changes but after looking at it for a while and then revisiting it I began to think that maybe the entire backbone (spine thing) could be replaced with that arching piece you added to the top and it would go all the way to the rear engine section. Also, with the addition of the beefier shoulders that support the landing pods maybe removing the grid work around the front and rear sections makes sense as well.

Maybe that is too drastic though.

Keep up the fantastic work!! its always fun to watch your builds.
David
Old 02-04-2020, 07:57 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by torgg View Post
You know at first I was not all that keen on the neck changes but after looking at it for a while and then revisiting it I began to think that maybe the entire backbone (spine thing) could be replaced with that arching piece you added to the top and it would go all the way to the rear engine section. Also, with the addition of the beefier shoulders that support the landing pods maybe removing the grid work around the front and rear sections makes sense as well.

Maybe that is too drastic though.

Keep up the fantastic work!! its always fun to watch your builds.
David
Thanks for looking.

The arched fairing from the cockpit does transition within the upper spine and again at the aft section and over the engine. I don't want to lose too much of the Eagle look though because it can be easy to cover all of the cage structure.