Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 09-24-2010, 06:16 PM

Hangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of lightHangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of lightHangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of lightHangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of lightHangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of lightHangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of lightHangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of lightHangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of lightHangarbay94 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DeBoers Refit Enterprise with Drydock WIP

Holy cow, those models are seriously mind blowing, the space dock images are simply stunning. I can't imagine how much work goes into your models, they are breathtaking in their complexity and construction.

Absolutely fantastic creativity and skill.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 PM

NemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud of
Default Construction of the DeBoers Hnager and Cargo Bays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangarbay94 View Post
Holy cow, those models are seriously mind blowing, the space dock images are simply stunning. I can't imagine how much work goes into your models, they are breathtaking in their complexity and construction.

Absolutely fantastic creativity and skill.
Thanks Hangerbay94. Speaking of hanger bays...

In my update this week, I've begun working on the cargo bay section of the hanger deck. I had to take a lot of interior measurement od the DB Engineering section to make it as large as possible and also make sure it is to scale and that it will actualy fit into the model when I'm finished building it. Then I had to take a lot of measurements of the PLE hanger to scale it up to the DBE size. Everything is being built as a master so that I can make some casting molds. If you look at all of the detail that I'm adding, you'll see why I'm going to be making casting. To put the details on just the upper and lower cargo bay stalls on just one wall took me a little over 3 hours. It's a bear to do but worth the effort. By next update I will have the details on the upper part of the cargo bay added in and all of the strucural wall braces or "ribs" as I'm calling them will be added and then I can start on the ceiling and begin moving to the lower hanger deck starting in the middle section of the hanger. The New Pics star on slide 38 - 47. Hope you enjoy the updates and I'll see you when I have new pics.

~NemVia~
http://www.NemVia.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB Enterprise 046.jpg (124.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

NIIIIIIIICE!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 PM

NemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud ofNemVia has much to be proud of

I've added a few test fitting pics of the hanger bay pieces fitted into the Engineering hull. Because each of the DeBoers models has variances on the insides of the hull I have to be very carefull with the test fitting. I found out that the middle wall section that I've built are going to have to be trimmed so they can fit into the hull space. The upper part of my scratch build part hits the inner wall of the hull and causes it tonot allow the pieces to fit properly. Sometimes you just cant rely on mathamatics to enlarge a piece for the models. These scratch build models need to be built with great care as the DeBoers model and all of the pieces must be very customized to fit in there properly. But... with a little TLC and some tweaking it will all work out. I should have a complete hanger model to show you next week or so and then start casting 3 of them for the other Enterprise models. See you next update.

~NemVia~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB Enterprise 055.jpg (87.5 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by NemVia; 10-16-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Nice Fit Mark!

Last edited by Kuhn Global; 10-17-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn Global View Post
Nice Fit Mark!
Thanks.... It ain't easy though...

6 new pics added to my site. More work done to the Hanger bay. I'm working on the Turbo Lift tubes and the ceiling details right now. Soon I'll be ready to cast this beastie. It is a very tight squeeze into the main hull of the ship. I've had to trim some of the pieces back just to get it inside the model. The effort is paying off though. I Should be finished with this hanger by the next week or so if all goes well. See you next update.

Mark

Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM

My update for this month is a little late, but I've been working on my master molds for the hanger and am going to be starting the casting process. I have a pic of the test casting for the Starboard side of the hanger deck as well as the rear wall. Both test pieces came out very well and I will start the final casting this coming week. I had a few issues with resin I was working with and had to adjust a few things to get this part of it set up right. I also have some of the lighting effects ready to be installed after the pieces are ready and primed and then painted their final colors. I'm trying to match as closely as possible what was seen in TMP, but I'm going to be adding a few of my own touches for the realism effect. I've also started working on the Botany deck. Since the secondary hull comes pre-assembled, it's a little bit harder to make measurements except by trial and error for the proper fitting of the deck inside the model. I've also cast some parts for the ceilings for the opened hatches on the saucer section. I'm also mapping out the officers lounge to begin construction of a master to be cast later on. The PL officers lounge does not match entirley what was seen in ST:TMP. So, I will have a few of my own touches to put in this piece as well. Also on the list of things to do is the creation of the crew rec-deck. I've seen several versions of other modelers re-decks for their PLE models and will be using some of their ideas for these models.

In preparation for things to come, I've purchased some of the lighting tubes and EL lamps and about 250 LEDs that I will be using to light the models, also trees and shrubs, rocks and other items for the botany deck, various resins and silicon rubber for casting multiple scratchbuilt parts.

Here's what the totals for these models will be that need to be built. There will be 4 officer's lounges, 3 for the DBE's and one for the DBReliant. 4 rec-decks, respectively for these models. 3 Botany decks, and 3 Hangers. 2 of the DBE's will have the opened hatches detailing. I'm recasting the main deflector dish and housing with a clear resin rather than the milky white or transparent blue versions.

So, even though you may not see a lot of new pics these last few weeks, there has still been a lot of prep-work being done to beautify these models. As I complete them, I will add more pics. Keep checking the site. You won't be disappointed.

~Mark~

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB Enterprise 005.JPG (70.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

This is coming along nicely Mark!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Thanks Kurt,
Wait'll ya see the next update. You'll really like what I've come up with.

Mark
Old 12-03-2010, 02:26 PM

In this update I've begun the building of the Flight deck pieces for the Hanger. I've started to build and assemble the Chase lighting effect or landing lights. I realize that this type of lighting was not seen in TMP, but my client asked me to add anything to the models that would enhance it's realism. I've already opaqued 2 of the decks and tested this lighting effect to see how it would look, and I think it works very nicely. In my next updat I will include a small video to show you the effects. Right now I have to finish opaqueing the 3rd flight deck, then paint it it's appropriate color, then add the landing strip details. After that I'll post the effect.

In other news, I've started on the Officer's Lounge piece. This piece is not going to look like the PLE officers lounge. I've been studying some stills from ST:TMP and building my lounge according to the movie. On the PL piece the viev screens are huge and out of scale with the lounge. I've made mine a lot closer to what is seen in the movie. Many of the walls in the movie are actually paneled walls in what appears to be a very light tan color. When you see DR McCoy in the shot, behind him are some more chairs, tables and a couch, and behind the couch are windows. They appear dark but I believe. at least in my version, that it is because no one is in the lower lounge area. You will be able to see through these windows on my version and will also be able to see the right side view screen some-what, whereas the wall on the PLE version almost completely blocks out that screen, being a solid wall.

By my next update I should be able to show you a painted Hanger Deck, possibly one of the Officers lounges finished, I'll have the molds done for these pieces as well as the Botony deck and I will be starting on the the Crew Rec-Deck. I've really been looking forward to building this piece because it is very intricate and is on of my favorite set pieces in the movie. I only wish that that had shown a lot more of it on the screen including a better view of the Warp Nacell outside the rec-deck windows that was barely seen in the movie.

See you next update!

~Mark~

Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Cool. You're definitely going all out!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Astrojay

Astrojay is just really niceAstrojay is just really niceAstrojay is just really niceAstrojay is just really niceAstrojay is just really niceAstrojay is just really niceAstrojay is just really niceAstrojay is just really nice

Just a question , has anyone tried to create a set of working clamshell doors for the hangerbay ? - any thoughts on how ?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrojay View Post
Just a question , has anyone tried to create a set of working clamshell doors for the hangerbay ? - any thoughts on how ?
You know what, I've thought about that but due to the scale of the model it would be very difficult to do unless I had some very specific machining tools to accomplish this. I'm not even sure that the doors are workable given their shape. Even when I made the ones for my 1/350 scale PLE I notices that it would not seem to work properly because of the door's shape and the groove or track that they would run in. Now the TOS Enterprise would diffinately be easier because the doors are a half bowl shape. I had started this on my 8' model and was going to have them open and close with the shuttle sliding forward as the doors opened. But with 3' to work in it was a lot easier to concieve the mechanism because there was room to put this in. Unfortunately, this idea is on hold for now so I can complete other projects. Eventually I will get back to this. For now the doors are removeable for the open and closed positions on the refit models I'm working on by using an open and closed set of doors.

What I find interesting is that after ST:TMP The Enterprise miniature has never been shown with it's hanger doors opened. I'm talking about the filming miniature, mind you. The hanger in ST:V was a separate miniture built specifically for the shuttle crash scene. The doors and the back end of the hanger do not match the filming miniature at all. I guess it was hoped that no one would notice this. It's true that it happened so quick in the movie that the first time you see it it might not be noticed as much, but of course the fans picked it up as soon as the bay doors opened. It was a great action scene no doubt, but as a model builder you catch these things right off the top.

I would like to know, however if there are any available behind the scenes pictures of the Filming miniature with the doors opened or shots of the hanger being built into the model and if it was in fact an entire hanger that was built into the model or just what was needed to be seen on screen or if it was in fact a close-up miniature that was built for that shot. This could give some insight as to wether the doors can actually work. I've also wondered if the new owner of the miniature can find out if these doors are removeable or are permanently sealed onto the ship. Any leads on this question would be appreciated.
I do like the original idea for the refit hanger over the 1701-A version, but I'm not unhappy with the STV:TFF version either.
~Mark~
Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

The shuttle bay doors are indeed something that I would like to have working as well. It may take some tooling with aluminum, and some very interesting engineering, but I do think it is possible. I once was in a hangar of a very large Zeppelin.... and the hanger doors were like the shuttle bay on the Refit.

Mark... I really love how this build is progressing my friend.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanks Kurt,
In a few weeks I should be able to show you a complete hanger with the lighting effects working. Maybe on a future DeBoers build I can explore the opening bay doors a little bit more. Because of limited space even in the larger model there will be differences in the appearance of the doors. There is very limited space between the actual deck and the hull due to the fiber glass process. I've already gone a little too far to redo these hangers, but Aluminum rods are a good choice. They are sturdy and light. But this is a different project for the future. Must focus..... foooooocusss.... yes.. that's it! Thanks for checking the progress Kurt and others!

See you in the next update.

Mark