Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: My 1/350 Seaview Build

So last week I rigged up a new battery box with 4 C-cells and plugged it into the circuit and guess what... the rear LED still dimmed ! Apparently increasing the milliamps had no effect. Not sure what the problem could be unless it's because I only have 1 resisitor in the circuit attached to one leg coming off the power jack before it connects to the rear LED. I've never run into this problem before when each LED has had it's own resistor. I may try inserting a second resistor on the lead coming from the rear LED to the second set of LED's in the bow whcih would give me 2 resistors in a parallel circuit. May not have any effect at all but it's worth a try. If it doesn't have any effect I guess I'll leave it as is. The control room and other lights iin the bow are plenty bright and are more critical to me than the sail and fin lights.
Update from last night:
Good news ! Adding a second 220 ohm resistor to the red leg coming off the aft LED to the bow array solved the dimming issue. All 9 LED's light up nice and bright now. I also found out the AA batteries worked just as well as the C-cells so I went back to using the AA battery box.
Next up is cutting out the kit windows from the existing window frame as their thickness and curvature impart too much distortion to the interior details. I will replace them with .015 clear styrene. If I'm careful I can preserve the surrounding framework which mates up well with the PE window supports.
Wish me luck !

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Went down at 2 last night and tore the gearbox apart.
Replaced the plastic tube where the half round plastic screwdriver key had disintegrated leading to screwdriver slippage!

Arrrrgggg!

I had too much work in on this not to fix it.
Cut a short length of brass tubing and CA'd it to the metal vertical driveshaft.
I'll pack it with the good stuff-Tamiya epoxy putty and insert a small screwhead into the end of it for the screwdriver blade to slip into.
That will never wear out !
I'm also going to lower the vertical drive gear 1/16" so it meets the teeth of the spool shaft gear in the middle where the teeth are in the best shape. Should make it turn more smoothly.
So...overall a big improvement over the previous design.
Satisfied I went back to bed around 3.. or so...actually I didn't even look at the clock...

Last edited by Trekriffic; 03-17-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Good job mate, you're packing some engineering into a very small space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekriffic View Post
design.
Satisfied I went back to bed around 3.. or so...actually I didn't even look at the clock...
I hear you, man. That's what it takes sometimes on these builds. Sometimes I can sleep thinking about ways to solve a particular problem. Heck, it's 2.15am right now!

Mike
Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM

trastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of lighttrastoman is a glorious beacon of light

Very nice work so far and this lights looks grate.
I´ll look forward to see how nice it looks
Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

You've got yourself a 'Tour-de-force' build going here buddy! You're packing it all in and then some!!!! A build after me own heart, it is.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 PM
One-trek Mind

Latest pics. Hope you like these D.D.!

Control room lit:

A lot of soldering:

White reflective tape:

Test fit without windows. The window supports are really fantastic; lookingpretty good so far IIDSSM:

Flying Sub bay illuminated:

Red port sail running light:

Green starboard sail running light:

Tailfin lights:

Window frames sans windows:

Two .015 clear styrene windows installed with Gorilla glue.Lots of test fitting to hull to get them just right:

Last pic of the day:

Next pics will be with windows installed and control room glued in place. Thanks for visiting !

Last edited by Trekriffic; 03-31-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

dry testing looking good mate!!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:05 PM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
dry testing looking good mate!!
Yep. I can't tell you how much time I've spent test fitting each step of the way. It's absoluterly critical to the success of this whole build.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All

Amazing detail you're putting into this !!!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM
One-trek Mind

Finally got around to taking a few more WIP pics with my new 15 megapixel Canon Rebel EOS camera!
Starboard profile prior to priming:

Window frames added to bow exterior using .020 half-round evergreen strip:

Stern from above after prop tubes were glued in place. Not much puttying and sanding needed as the parts fit is near perfect:

Propellers actually turn:

Ventral view of stern tubes. PE drain holes and tie rods really add realism to this kit:

Since these pics were taken I sprayed her with a coat of Testors flat black as an added light-blocking layer and found a few more areas that needed sanding. I should have that finished today at which point I'll apply a second coat of black before spraying a coat of grey primer. Then I'll install the windows and finish the window frames. I'm on vacation this week so should get a lot done. I'll post some more pics after the windows are in and the control room subassembly is installed.

Last edited by Trekriffic; 05-30-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM
One-trek Mind

Latest progress pics from this past weekend...

Window framing completed at last!

PE Deck cleats:

I still have to install 2 more pairs of cleats behind the sail.
That should only take a few hours working with tweezers and a magnifier!

Next up, installing the control room into the bow.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Looking very sleek Trekriffic!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:42 AM
One-trek Mind

So I was loooking at this screen grab of the studio set last night ...

which shows where the cleats were located behind the sail and realized that something was amiss with the way Moebius molded the upper deck part in the kit. The escape hatch was molded aft of the missile hatches with the missile hatches right up behind the sail whereas the escape hatch should have been molded in front of the missile hatches just behind the sail. Frack! This would have been easy to fix by cutting the section of the part just behind the sail and reversing it before gluing it to the hull but; needless to say, I had already glued and puttied the upper deck in place. So I ended up taking my chissel bladed exacto knife and working it under the back of the part hoping I could pop it loose; luckily, this worked and, after some minor cleanup, I was able to reglue and putty the missile deck so the hatch is now in the correct position behind the sail with the missile hatches further back. I wonder how Moebius missed this? I guess I'm so used to their excellent workmanship that it really caught me by surprise. As I say, it would be easy to fix before gluing but afterwards it could be a real challenge.
One other unfortunate note, as I was concentrating on cutting the missile deck free with my right hand, my left hand totally mangled and broke off the 2 cleats in front of the sail where I was gripping the hull! Frack, Frack and triple Frack!
So, unless Paul is feeling escpecially generous and has an extra set of cleats laying around he can send me, I'm going to just leave them off entirely. Dang it all anyway.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
One-trek Mind

Just got a PM from Paulbo over on Hobbytalk. He's sending me some extra cleats! Yippee!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Mostly Harmless

A win for the modeling community - it's rare but great when it happens!!