Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 AM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Space 1999 Eagle (Warp)

Man am in for it now. LOL
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM

Snagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud of

I have assembled the rear section and just need to touch up the frame joints and gear pod legs where they passed through the frames to be glued to the corridors - the paint scraped off those legs as they passed through the metal. The black and grey parts on all the pods got a second coat and clean up and came out well, as did the orange bars.

The CM got a clean up of the anti-glare panel edging, but the windows still need painting in. The photos show the banding I have been painting onto the spine and the CM frame section that I wasn't keen on. Having gained advice from our resident expert, I learned that the bands were added and changed throughout the seasons, and a close look as the scenes in "Breakaway" (first episode) show that none of the Eagles in the early episodes had coloured bands. They do show the Letracet black squares (full stops) on the CM, gear pods and large engine tanks and another vertical orange bar on the gear pod sides nearest the transport pod. So, the bands I dislike will be coming off and four more small orange bars added, the bars on the top of the pods reorientated, and I'll be visiting the stationers on my next visit to the town centre. Thanks to Rob for the advice and support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame bands (1).JPG (547.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg frame bands (2).JPG (599.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg frame bands (3).JPG (607.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg frame bands (4).JPG (613.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Snagger; 02-11-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM

Snagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud ofSnagger has much to be proud of

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m.../b/spb0072.jpg vs http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...w2meagle1.html shows the differences. The pictures in the second link differ from eachother, not just from those in the first link.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Groovy tunes.

Sci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati God

This eagle is looking good! She's finally coming together.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanks. It is getting there, and the new research means that the frames are going to show less painting imperfections. The photos are a little disappointing - they show little imperfections that irritate me like the left edge of the gear pod "Maltese Cross" (Ok, I know it's not the same shape, but you know the bit I'm talking about) - you don't see it on the model because the real part is about 3/4" across, but it's huge on screen! Still, I'll sort it out anyway...
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God

Looking GOOD!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM

OK, a bit of deja vu on the front frame and spine lattice. I remove the bands and resprayed the white. The bands had to be removed first because I expected they would create visible rises int he surface of the white is painted straight over, and because red has a nasty habit of bleeding through any other colour painted over the top.

The gear pods have been fully assembled and have just a small amount of work left - painting the oleos chrome silver and tidying up the edges of one of the orange bars. I did clean up the defect in the Maltese cross, and found a few other tiny ones too, so they all got the treatment. The CM has windows at last, though I don't have any gloss black, so they had to be done matt and will get a gloss clear coat (that should give them a small amount of depth anyway). The CM sensor dishes and all the rocket bells got a coat of a more appropriate metalised silver and like the windows, just need tidying up around the edges. I also attached the transport pods boosters, just to get them out of the way, but the pod still needs its windows and other detailing painting before a very little amount of weathering is added.

I repaired a mistake I made on the rear corridor frames a couple of years ago. I hadn't noticed that the front and rear frames were slightly different - the front frames connect to the CM clamps while the rear frames run tubes directly to the side fuel tanks. I had cut the rear frames to fit the CM, so had to replace the tubes to the tanks.

Then transport pod will be fitted permanently with epoxy between it and each corridor. I'll use the spine for alignment while the epoxy sets, but the spine will be super-glued in place as it's neater. Once the rest is assembled, the remaining boosters and rockets will be attached. The edges look a bit crappy in the photos, but I have left the black and aluminium edges a little rough and will be buffing and dry brushing them more to get a more sooty effect.

It's all coming together quite quickly now. I wonder what is next to set me back?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg initial assembly (1).JPG (603.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg initial assembly (2).JPG (597.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg initial assembly (3).JPG (620.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg initial assembly (4).JPG (594.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Snagger; 02-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Looking like an Eagle now!

The two corridors were epoxied to the transport pod with the spine pressed dry into place as a guide. As soon as the epoxy was set enough, I stood the model on its feet to make sure that it was straight - I didn't want any small twists that would cause a foot to be raised and allow the model to rock.

The transport pod details and weathering still need doing, and a couple of the CM windows need their edges tidying before they're glossed, and then it's just the remaining bells and pod feet to go. The main gear feet will be weathered with the same grey method I used on the corridors and pod belly after I do the oleo chrome and some metalising of the bottom of the feet to look heavily scuffed. Oh, and the Lettracet full-stops. Mustn't forget to buy those...

Thinking about mounting the model, I'm considering standing it on a dusty Lunar surface, a section of orange and black marked landing pad (not terribly original, though), or maybe suspending it on clear acrylic rods above one of those surfaces with the tops of the rods longitudinally emery rubbed, heavily at the top to almost nothing after a couple of inches running into the four main ventral boosters - it might capture the thrusting effect the show used reasonably well. I'll have to try a single piece of rod to test the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg major assembly (1).JPG (589.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg major assembly (2).JPG (617.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Snagger; 02-13-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Assembled, painted and weathered (mildly). Just the six "Alpha Moonbase" transfers and the lettracet squares on the CM and gear pods to go and then I can post this in the finished section. I still plan to make a base for it at some point so that it is less likely to get knocked, but the model is basically done. It's far from perfect, but I'm content with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eagle painted (1).JPG (556.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle painted (2).JPG (559.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle painted (3).JPG (556.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle painted (5).JPG (582.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle painted (6).JPG (578.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle painted (4).JPG (588.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

It's an Eagle!

Looks good!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM

That looks GREAT!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks. Just moved to the finished section!

Last edited by Snagger; 02-18-2013 at 11:37 AM.